• Welcome Guest to the new look forum. For more information refer to this thread

Great outings for meetings

OrangeOwl

Veteran (100+ posts)
Every so often I see things pop up and then they are lost so I wondered if it would be useful to put all the recommendations in one place. here are my two to start us off:

Pets at Home
Tesco Farm to Fork

There must be more. Please share!

tori.kiff1

Veteran (100+ posts)
We've not been out a great deal so this will be helpful!!

We've been to the local police station, library and a walk around our local part of the district.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

kingfisherblue

Veteran (100+ posts)
Premier Inn - our local one has a function room. We go for breakfast (all you can eat) and have the function room for free. They provide us with juice and coffee for lat morning, and after breakfast we spend time doing various activities. Cost is £8.99 per adult, with two children eating free. Additional children cost about £5 if I remember correctly. It's very popular with our girls and leaders!

A couple of years ago, we went to the Ramada Hotel and the girls learned how to clean bathrooms, make beds, and set tables. We then went to Little Chef, where we bought lunch and made pancakes.

Toby Carvery has a free 'Chef School'. It's aimed more at Brownie age than Rainbows, and might suit younger Guides as well. There is a chat (includes facts about purple carrots and that Ancient Egyptians used onions in eye sockets of the dead). Each table of girls has a plate of fruit and veg to identify. Then you get to eat a Carvery meal. It's usually for schools, but some branches will accommodate units at quiet times. We went on a Monday evening at around 5pm.

Frankie and Benny's have free pizza parties for community groups (amount of girls might be capped and adults don't always receive food, although we did). It is weekdays only, and our local branch were reluctant to offer it to us as we couldn't bring the girls during the school day and they ar busy in the evenings. I pointed out that F&B offered the parties to community groups and that the girls are all at school until after 3pm, so it was impossible to bring them before then. I asked if we could compromise, and we took Rainbows at 4pm on a Monday.

As you can see, food is something that we enjoy when we're out and about!

It goes without saying that any free activities should be followed up with a thank you letter.

charmedone100

rainbow gic and guide al
we did the bbc scotland tour with our brownie unit on a saturday and was ok. #

might try the toby carvery we have one local thanks for that

ker-stee

SGP Enthusiast
GuiderPlus
Do you make your thank you cards? Or just get the girls to sign them?
Do you include the time to do this in your plan?

We have a pack of thank you cards in the cupboard. One of the leaders writes the card and all the girls sign it

tori.kiff1

Veteran (100+ posts)
To be honest. We have been out/had someone in very infrequently.

I usually send a card which I've written and say it's from all of us. If the girls have mentioned anything in particular during Rainbow chat or in conversation I'll include.

There is a few times I've forgotten and feel really guilty about it.

I'm gonna be a little more on it this year.

I still feel really new to Girlguiding and feel left alone without much guidance so I feel our unit is still all up in the air! X

ker-stee

SGP Enthusiast
GuiderPlus
To be honest. We have been out/had someone in very infrequently.

I usually send a card which I've written and say it's from all of us. If the girls have mentioned anything in particular during Rainbow chat or in conversation I'll include.

There is a few times I've forgotten and feel really guilty about it.

I'm gonna be a little more on it this year.

I still feel really new to Girlguiding and feel left alone without much guidance so I feel our unit is still all up in the air! X

Are you in better contact with your mentor now/do you feel that you're getting enough help and advice?

tori.kiff1

Veteran (100+ posts)
Are you in better contact with your mentor now/do you feel that you're getting enough help and advice?
Still sorting me a mentor.

I've been guiding for 2 years in February!

I'm going to contact another Rainbow group and see if I can join in for a term and see what sort of things they do. How they do it etc.