1. Welcome Guest to the new look forum. For more information refer to this thread
    Dismiss Notice

Question? Growing Up Wild!

Discussion in 'Girlguiding London and South East England' started by Amethyst74, Oct 2, 2014.

1. Amethyst74

Amethyst74 Veteran (100+ posts)

Love the look of this new initiative - badges and activities look fab and can't wait to get going.

However...! They keep insisting it isn't another Challenge Badge.

How is it not a challenge badge? I get that this can include activities from home, and that you choose how much you want to accomplish, and that the activities come from lots of pre-existing ideas? Is that it? Is that why it's not a Challenge badge?

Other than that, we'll be going about it pretty much how we go about all (other!) Challenge badges!

Or am I being a bit thick and have missed something crucial...? I do hate it when my Qs are never in the FAQs....!

Last edited: Oct 2, 2014
  2. Squirrel-Nutkin

Squirrel-Nutkin The Wicked Witch of the West (15,000+ posts)

think its suggestions rather than a list of things to do, and its to encourage units to get girls out and about more (which is good guiding practise)? So perhaps thats why its not being called a "challenge" as they are definitely saying its ok for leaders to add their own ideas/adapt :)

also "challenges" according to the writing challenges guidelines need to cover off the 5 essentials of guiding and the section programme, so by saying its not a challenge perhaps it gets around that - although the suggestions for each of the badges are grouped into the different sections and they are quite varied and balanced, and I think would probably cover a fair few of the 5 guiding essentials and a good part of the section programme too [unlike most challenges that are being sponsored by units at the moment]

I think its a huge thumbs up for the growing up wild challenge :thumbsup:

3. Amethyst74

Amethyst74 Veteran (100+ posts)

so it's definitely more down to our discretion how we award these badges, then? Not a 'you must complete 2 from the following section' etc.

I do like it - it seems much more relaxed and unforced, while being exciting and motivational as well!

Thanks that :)

4. Orly

Orly Veteran (100+ posts)

Yup, that's it.

5. FionaMoore211

FionaMoore211 (Newbie)

We are going to do this at Rainbows.It's definately less about you have to do so many activities,and nice girls can do stuff away from meetings with families.We'd love to do the saeshore bit,but our meeting is nowhere near the sea.Last week we played autumn bingo,and tonight we are making stickmen (from Stickman the story) and painting sticks.Also,making patterns from items we find.Ther are free seed kits on offer from Grow Wild-which we hope to use as part of the badges too.

6. emmaluvseeyore

emmaluvseeyore Brownie Leader and Ranger Assistant

Could you do a sleepover by the sea? Not sure where you are, but could be a possibility. We would either have to do a day trip or a sleepover to do the seashore stuff.

7. fluffy1st

fluffy1st Veteran (100+ posts) GuiderPlus

I went to the launch event as one of the VIPs and we had a quick talk from Pip (region commissioner). She was saying how it's specifically not a challenge badge, so you don't have to do 1 of this and 2 of that - the idea is to include it with the section programme (so Brownie interest badges, e.g.) as nature and the outdoors shouldn't be an additional part of the programme - this term we're going to do 'seashore'. The outdoors should be a part of our programme all of the time (to varying extents) and therefore leaders can include bits here and there. A badge may take a residential, a term, a whole year, but that's the idea. Personally, I love it! I love the flexibility, and the ethos behind it.

8. Squirrel-Nutkin

Squirrel-Nutkin The Wicked Witch of the West (15,000+ posts)

do hope LaSER find a way of opening this up to other areas as that will bring in huge badge sells to laser plus its a fantastic badge/resource and its one of the better "challenges" out there for units (know its not supposed to be referred to as a challenge, but boy is it good)

9. eb2003cat

eb2003cat (Newbie)

what do you do

10. Hilzo42

Hilzo42 Guide Leader (GiC) & Forum Mod! Staff Member Moderator GuiderPlus

I'd printed off a few of the PDF's and looked through them at my planning meeting with my ass. guider - I'm really hoping I'll have enough enthusiasm from my Guides to run a residential because the 'GUW - In the Woods' would be absolutely perfect to do on camp!

Maybe it depends on the section you run, but some of the ideas pulled together in it are fab and exactly all the things I used to do on Guide camp - earning Observer, Knotter, Survival interest badges, Pioneer pennant and Woodcraft emblem. Which are mostly all absent now in the Guide programme, so this would definitely fill that gap with the flexibility to tailor what we do for it. :)

11. rainbowb

rainbowb Rainbowb GuiderPlus

Does anyone have a link to this so I may take a look? OR where do I find the details, info about this?
    Thanks,
    rainbowb

12. rainbowb

rainbowb Rainbowb GuiderPlus

Sorry! I just found it!
    rainbowb

13. Wizard

Wizard Veteran (100+ posts) GuiderPlus

We can all print off and do the activities, but they are not sharing the badges beyond their own area yet..... I contacted them and they *hope* to do this. It seams crazy that they haven't yet, they'd sell lots of badges! Perhaps if more of us contact them? But it is a great resource (challenge) which links well with the official programmes R/b/g.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

14. fluffy1st

fluffy1st Veteran (100+ posts) GuiderPlus

Many units within LaSER are struggling to obtain the badges. So I think LaSER is trying to sort out supply in our own region before supplying them elsewhere! It's all been incredibly successful and everyone is trying to keep up with demand!

15. ann

ann Veteran (100+ posts)

Also not helped by the fact we have to buy them via our county badge secs rather than direct from Region

16. Penknife

Penknife Veteran (100+ posts)

17. Spiderplant

Spiderplant Veteran (100+ posts)

This resource looks great, I would love to do it next year. However the badge order form says that badges must be ordered in multiples of 25 - do units in LASER have this restriction? I would need around 30 badges so hardly want to order 50.

18. purplecat

purplecat Veteran (100+ posts)

Could you persuade another unit locally to do the challenge? And order together. I've asked our depot if she would order for units in our district so that we can buy the numbers we need.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

19. missmuddle

missmuddle Veteran (100+ posts)

LaSER units purchase through County badge secretaries - not as individual units - and badges have to be ordered in multiples of 25

20. Lilybex

Lilybex Veteran (100+ posts)

It depends on stock levels, but I recently bought 40. Spider plant, do you want to pm me which badge you want and I'll see if available for 30?