1. Welcome Guest to the new look forum. For more information refer to this thread
    Dismiss Notice

Guiders' Narrowboat Social, 24 - 26 May 2013

Discussion in 'Guiders Get2Gether' started by fuzz, Feb 9, 2013.

1. fuzz

fuzz just fuzz =D

Hi all,

We're running a Narrowboat Social for Guiders this May, details are:

Friday 24th May - Sunday 26th May 2013

Aldermaston, Berkshire

£55 inclusive of boat hire, food, entertainment(!) and the all-important badge (but excluding your travel)

The weekend will be a great opportunity for people who have never been on a narrowboat before to get a taste of life on the inland waterways. Being part of the crew will involve operating locks and swing bridges and taking the helm of the boat, but there will also be plenty of time to relax, either walking along the tow path while the boat gently cruises along or sitting out on the foredeck enjoying the quiet of the canal (okay, okay, probably sat inside because it will be raining, I know!). Perhaps you'll get the bug for it and want to do your licence to take your Guides / Brownies / SS away. Heck, we got the bug and bought our own boat (don't worry, not the one we're going on)! =D

At this stage we have five spaces free (there will be twelve of us altogether), but I am awaiting confirmation on Monday from two people so this may go up to seven. Unfortunately this boat is not particularly accessible.

Asking for a £20 deposit to secure a place (refundable only if we can fill your place should you drop out) with the balance due at the beginning of May. Paypal or cheque is fine.

Owing to work commitments and distances people will need to travel, we won't do any boating on the Friday, thus leaving arrival times flexible. It shouldn't be too late a finish on the Sunday, but I wouldn't plan to catch a train any earlier than 6pm.

Travel wise, the boat is a two minute walk from Aldermaston train station and I'm sure it'll be possible to arrange lift shares when we get final names.

Hopefully that's enough info to be going on with; obviously more precise details will be firmed up and communicated directly nearer the time, including suggested kit lists and health forms.

So, drop me a PM if you are interested or have any questions. I shall update on Monday (hopefully) to confirm whether it is five or seven spaces available.

Thanks =]

2. *gwen*

*gwen* GIC Guide/SS GuiderPlus

Gutted, I would have been really interested in coming along being so close, but im away that weekend :(.

3. Kiwi26

Kiwi26 Senior Section Member & ACSL GuiderPlus

I would have loved to have done this as I love canal boats, but I think I'm also busy that weekend :(

4. fuzz

fuzz just fuzz =D

That's a shame, though we'll likely be doing more in the future as the last one we did (just our Division) was such good fun. So, if there is interest we'll post again =]

5. Allyj50

Allyj50 AllyJ50

..... for those that cant make the Berkshire narrowboat ... I have 2 places on The Centenary narrowboat at Streethay Wharf, Lichfield for Easter. If we fill the boat completely the price will be £105 including boat berth, all meals and boat insurance.

We will be working on my group's Canal GFI - badge available.

Dates are Good Friday 28 March to Easter Monday 31 March 2013.

If you are interested, please contact me or Hiloz42 ... or either of us via FB.

Cheers

Last edited: Mar 23, 2013
  6. Tawnyowl51

Tawnyowl51 Veteran (100+ posts)

if anyone is interested in narrowboating but needs a different date there is a taster weekend on the K&A in April see attached

Attached Files:

7. purpleturtle

purpleturtle Veteran (100+ posts)

Hi everyone,

I also have a narrowboating weekend (for SS age - under 26 only) organised in Central London (15 - 17th March) - I have 3 places remaining - cost is £45 including everything except transport from your home to central london (I can give train travel advice/help look for cheap train tix).

8. fuzz

fuzz just fuzz =D

Just an update on the May weekend, as there are definitely two places still free if anyone fancies it.

Currently we have:

Fuzz
    Tchai
    Chandra
    Hilzo42
    Claratrix
    Porridge
    Fluffy.owl

as well as two non-forum-members coming along and one query.

Thanks =]

9. Allyj50

Allyj50 AllyJ50

I would have been interested fuzz but unfortunately my grand daughter should be here by then ....!

It's great to read so many boating weekends are being arranged now. When I first started out, I struggled to find a trainer for a good while and that was back in 2007.

10. Allyj50

Allyj50 AllyJ50

Places for Easter have now been filled .... however, I do have an opportunity for ANYONE who fancies being part of the core crew to take part in the Cheshire Ring in August. Dates are Monday 12 August to Monday 19 August 2013. Pick up is Preston on the Hill at Claymoore Wharf approx 10 am and return the following Monday will be around 4.30 pm we think. The cost is £170 with berth, food, and a meal out or two plus any training if required and working on our Canal GFI and/or Waterways Challenge.

Alternatively if you want to hop on and hop off for half the week, that can be arranged. Currently we wil approach Manchester towards the end of the week which is the anti-clock direction. So we need more people at the beginning of the week.

Its 7 nights and 8 days away. 100 miles, 89 locks, 5 tunnels and lots and lots of laughter!

Cheers
    ally x

11. tigerlove

tigerlove Beginner (10+ posts)

Do you have details of you canal GFI and badge - we are going on the Rochdale canal same weekend with our guides/ss and are looking for some good activities.

12. Allyj50

Allyj50 AllyJ50

The amended version is in the Downloads under Challenge Badges now. Alternatively pm me your email address and I will forward it directly to you.

Are you using Spirit of Guiding?

Cheers