• Welcome Guest to the new look forum. For more information refer to this thread

Health form for UH?!

New Brown Owl

Regular (50+ posts)
I have a new unit helper and she has diabetes. She is in her 20s so obviously knows what shes doing controlling it etc and had a chat with her about sitting out if she felt high/low and to feel free to eat/drink if need to etc etc.
Anyway just got me thinking as a leader with a health condition/alergy do I have to get her to fill out any sort of health form?

Lizzieloubee

Veteran (100+ posts)
Maybe a care plan might be a good idea. Just in case anything goes really wrong, the number(s) of someone who could pick her up, when to call an ambulance etc/

woodyowl

Forum Mod, Guide GIC, Rainbow GIC,
Staff member
GuiderPlus
Id suggest getting a what to do in the case of .... written down.

That reminds me I need to ensure my leaders emergency contact details are correct still

dollypip

Rach or Dolly i'll answer to anything...
Oh jeez Id need a care plan for everything and poss a new one every week!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Squirrel-Nutkin

The Wicked Witch of the West (15,000+ posts)
could you not use one of the girls diabetes forms? on gguk site in members area

its what we've used for YLs were were asthmatic on pack holidays with brownies

not sure that the current adult application form highlights things like this anymore though...

woodyowl

Staff member
GuiderPlus
Oh jeez Id need a care plan for everything and poss a new one every week!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
The care plans are usable over a period of time you dont need to do a new one each week. So I can only see that youd be doing a new one each week if you have a very poorly unit, with long term medical conditions being added each week probley only really happens in hosptial units.

dollypip

The care plans are usable over a period of time you dont need to do a new one each week. So I can only see that youd be doing a new one each week if you have a very poorly unit, with long term medical conditions being added each week probley only really happens in hosptial units.
I mean for me and my accident proneness!!!

So far I have 2 dodgy knees awaiting surgery, a wrist that gives way cos of a metal plate in it, multiple allergies...erm and I'm clumsy.

woodyowl

Staff member
GuiderPlus
I mean for me and my accident proneness!!!

So far I have 2 dodgy knees awaiting surgery, a wrist that gives way cos of a metal plate in it, multiple allergies...erm and I'm clumsy.
lol oh dear sounds like a warning lable rather then a careplan :p

Squirrel-Nutkin

didn't know about your knees dollypip... what have you done to them? was it sports injury/other obvious injury or just happened one day?

my youngest dd is currently waiting a mri scan on one her knees due to problems she is having and she has had no injury/bump etc and also no pain/swelling, just knee collasping on her or just not "feeling right" when she is using it/putting it under stress like up and down stairs/running on it...

squirrrel

Veteran (100+ posts)
dollypip yoyu sound just like my dd but on bright side is now in ss , and only just had her first vsit to A&E this year, usally there at least once a month

dollypip

didn't know about your knees dollypip... what have you done to them? was it sports injury/other obvious injury or just happened one day?

my youngest dd is currently waiting a mri scan on one her knees due to problems she is having and she has had no injury/bump etc and also no pain/swelling, just knee collasping on her or just not "feeling right" when she is using it/putting it under stress like up and down stairs/running on it...
Knees are from the same fall I did in Oct 2010, right one has a meniscus tear and the other has poss the same or cartlidge damage. I hyper extend my knees which puts more pressure on the area but since I started exercising its become apparent and just started with clicking and got progressively worse. However its not stopping me.

Its took me from early jan to get a referral to ortho. All I need is and MRI and I'm seeing a private physio and I'm rock taped up to my eyeballs on both knees.

Squirrel-Nutkin

I've bought my dd one of those elastic support tube sport bandages for her knee and its brilliant (about £8 a bandage) and it is really helping her continue to do things (perhaps more than she ought to though) - have you tried them?

dd loves ice skating, so even though consultant has said to take it easy on knee, when she goes ice skating I make her wear one on each knee (so she doesn't over compensate and strain other knee and does take things easy I am beginning to think it was ice skating that caused the strain or injury in the first place but she hasn't had a fall - but she is doing lots of skating backwards and skating on one leg first on left leg then right, skulling forward and backwards etc etc in her skating lessons) but dd's mri came through within month of referral to hospital - is next week!!!! yikes (not our nearest as nearest doesn't have children's unit - but thats another story)

dollypip

I have Rocktape far superior to tubigrip! It lifts the muscle to provide oxygenation to promote healing.

Drs not yet asked about my exercise so I've not said. I know my limits and I sorta stick to them!

I also have a swollen nose where I caught myself with a barbell this week

sari

pre-warranted GiC
Staff member
GuiderPlus

Sounds exactly like my daughter...although she damaged her growth plates cheerleading as a younger girl. Dr says its just growing...but I'll take her back and push for further investigating...:)

Squirrel-Nutkin

consultant thinks my dd's is cartilage (meniscus) tear of some kind (rather than ligament damage which is what A&E and GP both initially thought) - but without mri can't say for definite... apparently more common with "sporty young girls" than with any other age group or gender group???? either way consultant couldn't "feel" anything in her knee and movement "felt normal" and same as other knee