• Welcome Guest to the new look forum. For more information refer to this thread

Help with transport in London Friday 16th December

mum

Mitcheldean Brownie Guider
Apologies if this is the wrong place to write this but it seems the best to me.

I am just wondering if anyone can help my 18 year old daughter (Senior Section member) get from Uxbridge (Brunel Uni) to Victoria Coach Station on Friday morning. Her coach leaves Victoria at 12 noon.

She is catching a coach to Gloucester to attend as a responsible adult, for a Brownie/Guide sleepover that night. Underground is her plan but she had three large musical instruments to carry, a computer and probably a whole heap of dirty washing ;-) as after the sleepover she'll be coming home for the Christmas holidays.

So I'm a bit worried about her managing the two or three tube changes, escalators etc. I'm not able to drive to Brunel and collect her myself.

Thanks in advance

Trisha

Fox

Brownie-induced madness
To be honest I would suggest a minicab. If she's taking lots of equipment for the holiday she's helping on she could ask them to share the cost.

mum

Thanks for the quick reply. I did look at a cab for her but it would be more than £60 and the equipment is for the Christmas break rather than the sleepover.

Fox

Brownie-induced madness
Was that a black cab, though, rather than a minicab? I've taken an airport minicab in London further than that distance and it was a lot less.

growlywench

Veteran (100+ posts)
Is there an option to get a taxi part of the way - perhaps to an overground railway station, to minimise the numbers of changes needed?

Loopy

Veteran (100+ posts)
Gosh, that sounds like a lot to carry! I'd suggest trying a private hire car company based in Uxbridge, I'm not in the same area, but the ones near me charge less than that for a similar distance.

tawny*

Veteran (100+ posts)
Hey, if your daughter goes this way the only changes she will need to make will be to walk across the platform, it does seem a bit crazy but i do it all the time when i take my Brownies and Rainbows out.

Take the Met line from Uxbridge change at Finchley Road and cross the platform to get the Jubilee line to Baker Street. Then cross the platform again to get the Bakerloo line to Oxford Circus, then cross the platform and get the Victoria line to Victoria (making sure she is in the front one or two carriages as you then can get straight off the train without walking down the platform!) Then it is one escalator and and some steps....then the walk to the coach station which i think is about 10-15 mins dont quote me though!!!
Hope this helps :)

mum

Thanks all, I have emailed the suggestions so far to her, I hope the weather will hold up for her too.

mum

Just to let you know that we decided not to risk her travel tomorrow and we managed to drive up there today and collect her.
Just as well, I think, as I can't see how she'd have managed to carry all the stuff she had.
Thanks for all your suggestions.