• Welcome Guest to the new look forum. For more information refer to this thread

hong kong

marieismad

Veteran (100+ posts)
My SS unit met last night and having previously decided that they'd go as a unit to Hong Kong they have now decided that they will go off on individual adventures from the catalogue and then as a group go to Isle of Man or London so that I can go with them.

Is it wrong to feel disappointed that I don't get to go on an ultimate adventure that is a bit more ultimate with my unit? Does anyone else feel like this? I know its about the girls and giving them the chance but I feel disappointed that I put a lot into running my unit and the girls now want me to run a half marathon with them to raise money so they can go abroad on a unltimate adventure while I only get to celebrate the centenary with my unit on a UK event. I've been in th movement offically since 7 so I really want to celebrate and celebrate with the girls who I work with.

Last edited by a moderator:

rawrness

Veteran (100+ posts)
It's understandable to want to have your own big adventure. However, the SS group is about the girls and their decision. How about you plan your own big adventure, either on your own or wiht other leaders and then you just jointly fundraise with your girls? That way you'll get your fair share of ultimate adventure from your input in the fundraising, all members of your unit (including yuourself) get to experience something tailored to the individual and hten you get to have a wonderful time together, even if the latter is in the UK.

jayjay

Guide and Ranger Guider
I know exactly how you feel, because I am in the same boat! I was discussing with my Rangers before Christmas what they wanted to do to celebrate, and they were all very surprised and a bit disappointed that I wouldn't be able to accompany them on whatever they choose - in their words (and mine!) its not fair!
The other comment they have is that they are a fairly small, and quite tight-knit group and they'd like to be able to celebrate together, but most of the big events in the catalogue won't allow them to travel as a unit, only as individuals.
Because of my situation (baby due May) I would make a much more serious effort to make the time and money to go on a big international event in 2010 if I was doing it for my unit and with my unit, rather than just for myself. As for arranging a big event with other leaders - well, who? I don't know more than 1 or 2 Guiders in my county who would be able to do it in additional to what they are doing with their Rainbows, Brownies or Guides while allowing for their families etc that year.
It does seem a bit unfair that after 21 years in Guiding, the Centenary will have to pass me by in terms of Ultimate Adventures!

marieismad

Veteran (100+ posts)
centenary trip for abandoned SS leaders

Ok I have had communication with a few SS guiders who feel abandoned as tehy can't go with their girls on the ultimate adventures they have chosen. So I am still keen to go to Hong Kong and I know at least one other SS guider who is so is anyone else up for this?

I have been before with Girl GUiding Uk and still have contacts so we would hopefully meet some guides whilst there and we can hire their HQ as our accomodation or even BP house international which is a lot more 'upmarket'than BP house in London.

If you're interested let me know.

hopelessguider

Veteran (100+ posts)
Hi Marie,

Sounds like a great idea:) Possibly interested - depending on dates and price.

Sarah

Ok I have had communication with a few SS guiders who feel abandoned as tehy can't go with their girls on the ultimate adventures they have chosen. So I am still keen to go to Hong Kong and I know at least one other SS guider who is so is anyone else up for this?

I have been before with Girl GUiding Uk and still have contacts so we would hopefully meet some guides whilst there and we can hire their HQ as our accomodation or even BP house international which is a lot more 'upmarket'than BP house in London.

If you're interested let me know.

marieismad

Veteran (100+ posts)
Well I think we'd be looking at around £1000. I am on contact with venture abroad but I think it might be cheaper to sort it out ourselves. I'm not putting an age limit on it - you'd either have to be an SS member or an SS guider.

I was thinking Easter 2010 but we can try and go when most people want to go.

Rowan and woody owl we could do some joint fundraising due to being in the same county. The only thing I need know is county to tell me if I have got my holiday license! (Still waiting!)

Everyone else let me know dates and we can start looking at costs easier. Have a look at the Hong Kong Guides website http://www.hkgga.org.hk/eng_index.php and search teh internet for BP house international and state your preference so I can see about the costs and availability.

marieismad

Veteran (100+ posts)
I need people who are interested in a trip to Hong Kong at easter 2010 to let me know their email and preferred dates so I can get started on arranging our trip.

marieismad

Veteran (100+ posts)
Ok people well its time to get moving on this trip to Hong Kong. I need peoples emails and easter holiday dates for 2010 - probably best to send in a private message.

Please also tell me how many days you'd like to go for and which airport is best for you to get to.

Thanks

marieismad

Veteran (100+ posts)
Hi all, plans are at a stand still at the moment as my county international advisor hasn't got back to me about what I need to do and there is a long story involving my SS holiday license anyway.

Plans the the moment are to go with my SS unit to the isle of man trip thats in the cent catalogue and if you are eligible you are welcome to come with us. I think Hong Kong will be done one day but perhaps not in time for teh centennary - maybe 100 years of senior section - that give us 8 years of planning and fundraising!

marieismad

Veteran (100+ posts)
the only otehr option is if someone has tehir holiday license and is willing to be the group leader or has an SS license confirmed and is willing to do the add on part