• Welcome Guest to the new look forum. For more information refer to this thread

Question? How many Leaders do we need for a multi-scetion trip ?

cura

Beginner (10+ posts)
Can anyone help me find out how many qualified Leaders are required to run a joint day trip for a group of Rainbows, Brownies and Guides ?

The only information I can find on the GG website , other than the adult:child ratios is , under multisection events ' at least one leader from each section participating must be present'

Would Assistant Leaders and Leaders-in-Training from some of the sections be appropriate or would we need a qualified Leader from each section for the trip to go ahead ( as well as enough other adults to meet the mandatory ratios , of course )

I hope the question makes sense and that someone can help. Thankyou

OrangeOwl

Veteran (100+ posts)
You need at least one leader from each section as this specific wording is mandated in the manual.
otherwise as long as you maintain ratios for each section it doesn't matter who the adults are, theoretically, though I'd err on the side of familiarity for the Rainbow helpers and get people the rainbows knew if it were me.

JJJJ1980

Brownie Leader x 3
I would suggest assistant leaders definitely count as a leader from that section, Leader in training would probably depend on how far into their training they are but that might be best run by your DC.

Ezrekia

Veteran (100+ posts)
GuiderPlus
You need to make sure each age range has its appropriate ratios covered too. So if you have 7 Rainbows (ratio 1:6) and 9 Brownies (ratio 1:8) you would still need 4 leaders, one of whom must be a Rainbow leader and one of whom must be a Brownie leader. Even though 1 extra Rainbow and 1 extra Brownie combined don't exceed either ratio, they still need an adult each.

I can't remember where I found this, but I know I've stumbled across it before and IIRC it's been discussed at some length on here too.

emmaluvseeyore

Brownie Leader and Ranger Assistant
You need to make sure each age range has its appropriate ratios covered too. So if you have 7 Rainbows (ratio 1:6) and 9 Brownies (ratio 1:8) you would still need 4 leaders, one of whom must be a Rainbow leader and one of whom must be a Brownie leader. Even though 1 extra Rainbow and 1 extra Brownie combined don't exceed either ratio, they still need an adult each.

I can't remember where I found this, but I know I've stumbled across it before and IIRC it's been discussed at some length on here too.
The only scenario where this wouldn't apply was if the Guides on the trip are Rainbow/Brownie helpers. In that case they are just included in the Rainbow/Brownie ratio and a Guide leader isn't required.

Kangaroot

Veteran (100+ posts)

Dependent on how you read the manual,
6 rainbows to 1 adult, 1 rainbow and 5 brownies to 1 adult, then one adult for the rest of the brownies so only 3 adults would be needed.

Quack

Veteran (100+ posts)
Staff member
GuiderPlus
I'd go with ratio's but the other aspect is how big is the event and what is it ? If you are organising, don't include yourself, simply because you need to concentrate on the co-ordination not looking after your unit, so ensure the ratio's are covered but the practicalities too.

fenris

fenris
GuiderPlus
Depending on the arrangements and the scale of the event you may wish to have extra leaders beyond the minimum anyway - for a larger event it can be wise to have someone whose sole role is first aider, and for one or more of the organising team not to be counted in ratios either. So there is the textbook minimum, and also being realistic about whether, in an emergency, all of the adults would be available to take charge of their alloted packet of girls, or whether some would be needed to do central organising.