• Welcome Guest to the new look forum. For more information refer to this thread

How many young leaders

badgemad4

Veteran (100+ posts)
As I understand it there is not an official limit. However I have seen guidance of no more than three on a regular basis, and that there should consideration given to how to balance the number of YLs to the number of R/B/G there are, and to leave a gap between being a Guide and a YL at Guides. Hope this helps.

browniebeth

Brownie Leader
Staff member
GuiderPlus
I would say no more than 2 at any meeting of a standard sized unit.

If you have them queuing up, and there are no other suitable units, I would suggest you have a rota (this age can get very busy and may not be able or want to commit to weekly meetings). Obviously this may impact on your census bill, so you may have to think economically about how many you take on.

If you take on too many for weekly meetings, there is a risk that you'll run out of stuff for them to do, they'll be stuck always doing the games or that your sixers or patrol leaders in the older sections don't get the leadership opportunities.

2 gives them someone to work with of a similar age and experience, which, if the leaders are older can be hugely beneficial. I started out as one half of a young leader duo. Good young leaders help bridge the gap, and are on the pulse with what's hot or not, but we have to offer them something too.

fenris

fenris
GuiderPlus
There is no limit. The question is, how many can you realistically utilise?

Each helper you have needs to have a job, and to be utilised at each meeting. And that without taking away jobs which the Senior Rainbows/Sixers/PLs should be getting to do.

Unless they are being utilised as 1:1 helpers for girls with extra needs, most units find that a maximum of 2 youth helpers can be utilised - if demand for volunteer spaces is higher you could consider having pairs of helpers working alternate weeks (provided your unit can afford the subscriptions for all).

pipperpa

Beginner (10+ posts)
GuiderPlus
As there is no limit I think it depends on the unit. At a previous Rainbow unit I helped run we had 4 YLs and they had plenty to do! We had 18 Rainbows and 2 Leaders. 1 Leader could deal with parents, 1 Leader set up with the help of 2 YLs and the other 2 YLs could run a game with the Rainbows. Worked brilliantly and then when it came to crafts/activities we'd split the group into 4 and have a YL at each table to help with tricky cutting out/questions. Leader running the activity went through the process step by step and if any of the Rainbows fell behind or were powering on faster than the majority the YLs kept them right. Other leader could be keeping on top of admin/going around the rainbows to talk to them individually.

Now I have one Rainbow helper (Guide) and a unit helper. It seems chaos most of the time as I am try to multitask - talking to parents and passing on information to my helpers at the same time. Usually means this information isn't passed on properly - my fault - and I have to keep repeating myself! It is my resolution for 2018 to improve this...

At Guides, we have no YLs and not sure what they would do if I am honest - then again we have so many leaders that even they sit and do nothing some meetings...

pipperpa

Beginner (10+ posts)
GuiderPlus
^to add to above at least two of our YLs at a time were DofE volunteers who chose not to be members - as such we didn't have to pay annual subscriptions for them. Had they wanted to be members we would have still accommodated them and paid their annual subs as fortunately the unit was in a position to do so.

dragnilk

Regular (50+ posts)
We haven't had any young leaders while I have been running our unit and this half-term just had one start with us. She used to be a Rainbow and a Brownie and wanted to come back into Guiding. Having not had a young leader before I don't know how much help I am supposed to give her for her YLQ. Any advice on what my input should be?

Then last week one of our old Brownies who left Guides in the summer and started in senior section in september asked if she could come and help at Brownies for her Bronze DofE starting in January. I was wondering whether to see if she could do this as a Young Leader as she is already a member of Guiding- does anyone know if that would be feasible?

We have a large unit of 30 Brownies and I would love to have these younger helpers running games to give me more time to set up the activities. I want to make sure they feel properly involved in our meetings so if anyone has some good advice on how to keep them involved so that they enjoy coming too I would appreciate it.

fenris

fenris
GuiderPlus
We haven't had any young leaders while I have been running our unit and this half-term just had one start with us. She used to be a Rainbow and a Brownie and wanted to come back into Guiding. Having not had a young leader before I don't know how much help I am supposed to give her for her YLQ. Any advice on what my input should be?

Then last week one of our old Brownies who left Guides in the summer and started in senior section in september asked if she could come and help at Brownies for her Bronze DofE starting in January. I was wondering whether to see if she could do this as a Young Leader as she is already a member of Guiding- does anyone know if that would be feasible?

We have a large unit of 30 Brownies and I would love to have these younger helpers running games to give me more time to set up the activities. I want to make sure they feel properly involved in our meetings so if anyone has some good advice on how to keep them involved so that they enjoy coming too I would appreciate it.
Someone doing DofE can choose to be a Young Leader, but does not have to. In terms of role, first thing is to consider what skills they have. Are they confident about planning and running games, or would it help for you to give them a little bit of training on how to choose, plan and lead a game - or on the books and websites you use to get ideas for new games? What skills/talents do they have - would one of them be able to teach a dance routine, or lead some campfire songs, or teach a craft or skill?

Your involvement will be ensuring they are involved in planning and encouraged to suggest ideas, and encouraged to lead activities or help those who are. Check they are happy with their role in the unit, and make sure they know there are opportunities to get more involved if they wish, but no pressure to do things they aren't comfortable with. And - make it clear that when exam time comes round you are happy to 'see them when you see them' - studying for exams comes before helping with the unit - but if they feel an hour or so at the unit will give them a break from cramming you'd be happy for them to come.