1. Welcome Guest to the new look forum. For more information refer to this thread
    Dismiss Notice

How much rent do you pay to use church halls?

Discussion in 'Hall Management' started by DCBarnOwl, Jun 15, 2013.

1. DCBarnOwl

DCBarnOwl (Newbie)

Hi All, We currently pay a very small rent to the Scout Group for use of their hut. It stands on church land which is to be sold off for development so we will likely be moving into the 'super' new hall complex being built by the church. However it appears we are to be charged full or at a minimum half the the market rent per hr: We are in East London and local rents are up to £45 per hour!! Speaking to other groups in the district who meet in church halls, they pay either a nominal amount i.e £5 a term or pay nothing at all. It would be very sad to have to move from the church where the group has run for over 90 years! Please could you let me know what you pay (if anything) for meeting in a church hall? Thanks in advance

2. Tawnyowl51

Tawnyowl51 Veteran (100+ posts)

Rather than wait for them to come to you with a figure, why not pre empt them and come up with an amount you are willing and able to pay per week/term whatever. Make it very clear you are a charity and your only income is from subs, and what GG offers to girls

3. newbe

newbe Veteran (100+ posts)

when i first was looking for a place to set up our brownie pack 6 years ago we were quoted about £40-£45 a session
    to which i just laughed,
    i went back to them a few weeks later and got it down to £5 for the first 6months
    it then went up to £10

we now pay £12 a session which is just within our budget. we pay census out of subs too and do fundraising when the chance arises.

just explain to the church how long you have met.
    how much you get in your weekly subs and what you use it for
    and who much you would be able to pay. see if you are sponsored as this may help

4. KittenWillow

KittenWillow Veteran (100+ posts)

We pay £9 for our hour and they give us the quarter-of-an-hour before and after (to set up & clear up) for free :)

5. Fox

Fox Brownie-induced madness

We pay £15 for each session (2 1/2 hours) and other local Guiders think we have a poor deal!

If nobody is in before or after we can have as long as we like to set up/clear up, but we are given advance warning if there is (and we can usually go into the cupboard/hallway and get stuff out, plus we can go in other times to put things away/tidy the cupboard).

6. chopperchick

chopperchick Veteran (100+ posts) Staff Member Moderator GuiderPlus

If you think there's going to be quite a jump, and / or you're going to pre-empt it all by suggesting a figure ..... Have some other ideas in mind about how you can support the costs of the building.
    In fairness, if they're building somewhere new, it's not unrealistic they're going to put up prices to cover some of the costs they're incurring with the build.
    Most churches are charities themselves, so they'll need to charge what it costs to run the place - be thankful they'll hopefully not be looking to make a profit!!

E.g. Would anyone be prepared to take on a task at hall that would save the church paying for it? Perhaps cleaning, or maintenance, or security? Could be a parent, not suggesting leaders need to do everything.

Once you get a new cost from them, speak to your parents and see what they think. Sometimes I think we're so conscious of not being extravagant, that actually our costs are reasonable to others. If the alternative, cheaper hall meant increased travel time / cost, then it might work out the same.

7. Squirrel-Nutkin

Squirrel-Nutkin The Wicked Witch of the West (15,000+ posts)

£13 for 1½ hours (need the ½ hour for opening up and waiting for parents to collect flossie)

8. kathrynha

kathrynha Veteran (100+ posts)

We pay a donation for use of the church. Generally I think it's £100 - £200 a year dependant on how many girls we have and how much money we have.

9. Jaffa

Jaffa Veteran (100+ posts)

our next nearest unit are in a church hall and pay £10 per hour, we pay £200 per quarter for the scout hut

10. littleowl68

littleowl68 Veteran (100+ posts)

We meet in a church hall and pay a donation of £150 per year

11. molly

molly Veteran (100+ posts) GuiderPlus

We also pay a donation of £150 per year per unit. It went up to that this year. The only time we pay extra is if we use the hall on a Saturday for fundraising / party etc.

12. Rattyhorses

Rattyhorses Asst Rainbow/Brownie/Guide leader GuiderPlus

we have just moved into our local priory (one isle ,seats and small room at back)after it had some work done and get to use the kitchen at the back with tables and chair, grounds and seats and isles but we don't pay anything for the use as it is one of the things the new minister wanted to do for our guide unit.

13. 12thTawny

12thTawny Veteran (100+ posts)

Our uniform groups are charged 50 pence per child per session. This isn't entirely "fair" as some of the sessions are 60 minutes and some are 90 minutes but it works for the groups involved. If our hall is let to other users (parties, yoga etc) then they pay £20-£25 per hour depending on time of day. It's an arrangement which works for all. I like Tawnyowl51's suggestion and give a price you are happy to pay rather than waiting to be told.

14. cbbies

cbbies Veteran (100+ posts)

We pay a third normal rate which works out at £5.50 per hour I think...

15. Vanessa (Elf)

Vanessa (Elf) Veteran (100+ posts) GuiderPlus

We rent the school hall at £12.50 per hour so for 1 1/2 hrs we pay £18.75.

Vanessa (Elf)

16. browniebeth

browniebeth Brownie Leader Staff Member Moderator GuiderPlus

You do! Although your space is much bigger than ours, we're paying £2.50 per meeting (1 1/4 hrs) and I'm usually in a bit before to set up. There's never been anyone in before us, and there's only occasionally someone in after. It used to be £1.85 per session, but it went up nearly 2yrs ago.

17. Hilary

Hilary Guide Guider and District Commissioner GuiderPlus

£2.50 a session doesn't come near to covering the wear and tear on a building of a Brownie/Rainbow meeting, let alone the cost of lighting, heating use of things like loo roll and washing up liquid etc, etc. Therefore the owners of the building are subsidising a unit which only pays that level of rent. There may be any number of reasons why they are happy to do that but I don't think as an organisation we should feel we have a right to cheap or free premises - just lucky when we do. I meet in a Scout Hut and there is no reason at all why the Scouts should subsidise my unit and I believe we pay a fair rent (also £15 a night for two hours plus set up and clear up time).

18. Fox

Fox Brownie-induced madness

But it hardly makes a difference to our budget, as most local units charge £2 per session, which is £20 a term even with just a 10 week term, and we charge Rainbows £20, Brownies £30- and still have plenty in the accounts. Remember we'd pay twice as much if we met weekly too.

19. Squirrel-Nutkin

Squirrel-Nutkin The Wicked Witch of the West (15,000+ posts)

halls have lots of other costs too such as public liability insurance, music licences etc... I agree that whilst I gulp at the cost of ours, I do fully understand and appreciate that the cost of maintenance, heating and lighting etc has all gone up hugely

20. skyewitch

skyewitch Guider in Charge & District commissioner GuiderPlus

I gave a donation of £105 this year to use our church hall. However from next year we are going to have a set price which all the uniformed groups will pay. I think this is right a the brownie unit didn't pay any money this year and from looknig at the guide accounts from last year we didn't give a doantion either. I am trying to manage the finances better since taking over to ensure we can pay the rent/donation