1. Welcome Guest to the new look forum. For more information refer to this thread
    Dismiss Notice

Question? how to make nice medals - not card cut outs

Discussion in 'Olympics 2012' started by Moley_Ma, May 22, 2012.

1. Moley_Ma

Moley_Ma Veteran (100+ posts)

we're doing 'on your marks' and there is a really nice activity where the girls have to make gold medals. In the book they suggest cutting out a disc from gold card. 1. that won't take long enough 2.they don't look very 'special'
    any ideas how to make some nice medals? maybe beads and wire? maybe air hardening clay (although i don't have any - could this be made?)

2. browniebeth

browniebeth Brownie Leader Staff Member Moderator GuiderPlus

you could certainly get modelling clay, or make salt dough (though that would need oven baking)

However, we made the medals with our brownies last week, alongside doing a bit of reporter drama at a 'medals ceremony' and the girls really enjoyed it.
    Gold card and they designed the shape from looking at photos of previous designs, then with a pencil carved their design into the card and we got some nice purple ribbon to attach. Cheap, simple, effective, and they were proud of their designs :)

3. Squirrel-Nutkin

Squirrel-Nutkin The Wicked Witch of the West (15,000+ posts)

you can get silver, gold and bronze metallic paint - so could you paint the "clay" disks afterwards?

4. MummyOwl

MummyOwl Brownie Leader

We've got some air-drying clay, painting them with metallic paint when they're dry and gluing ribbon on. There's loads of cheap gold and silver paint around... Tesco had some the other day

5. laurad82

laurad82 assistant guide leader Staff Member Moderator GuiderPlus

How about making them with salt dough and then painting them with the metallic paint that Squirril Nutkin has suggested. Making the dough will be a lot cheaper than buying modelling clay.

6. littlerainbow

littlerainbow Rainbow Leader

Could you do something with card and a crepe fringe - bit like a rosette?

7. Squirrel-Nutkin

chocolate coins and ribbon go down well with the girls too :)

8. Moley_Ma

Moley_Ma Veteran (100+ posts)

oooo the idea of a rosette sounds intreaging. does anyone have a good recipie for salt dough or air dry clay, i had a look on a couple of website but all the recipies are very different and I want one that actually works!

9. Squirrel-Nutkin

10. hiphopy

hiphopy Veteran (100+ posts)

11. Squirrel-Nutkin

that reminds me of something my own dd did at school once

did a brooch design on card - basically glued on bits of string/seeds/lentils/pasta etc and that was spray canned "gold" and was very very effective

and edible cookies - wow, that would go down treat with girls! could even use a "straw" to cut out the hole for the ribbon :) (I've used straw for air dry clay cutting out... so I'm sure would work on biscuits/cookies)

12. hiphopy

hiphopy Veteran (100+ posts)

Ooh yeah lentils and pasta would be great! Those kinds of designs always look really weird until the spray paint comes out and then like you say, they can look really fab! Plus many medals are kind of embossed, so I figured it could work nicely.

Think I may have a go at the biscuit medals for fun. Thanks for the straw tip- that would def make the right size of hole, and not too fiddly either!