1. Welcome Guest to the new look forum. For more information refer to this thread
    Dismiss Notice

Question? Idiots Guide to District Waiting List

Discussion in 'GO Streamline Help' started by JJJJ1980, Oct 17, 2014.

1. JJJJ1980

JJJJ1980 Brownie Leader x 3

Hello,

I am sure this has been asked before but I couldn't find it through a search.

How do you run a District Waiting List?

I have read the info on Join us but it doesn't make it very clear. I am part of a district where some people use Join us effectively and others don't. It usually results in those that do use it trying to sort out the problems ignored by those who don't. In an ideal world everyone could attend training and learn together but we have the problem of those needing it most are the least likely to attend.

We are a small town so parents could travel to units but most choose not to, some units are bursting at the seams, others are struggling for numbers.

As an extra question is there a way to have a non-member on the waiting list for two sections at once ie Rainbow and Brownies?

Thanks

2. culcheth1

culcheth1 Veteran (100+ posts)

We run a District Waiting List. New starters and transitions are centralised and everything is dealt with by the Waiting List Co-ordinator. Unit Leaders don't run waiting list of their own.

We have one Waiting List on Join Us and all parents are contacted by the waiting list co-ordinator who agrees their preferences and tries to please everyone.
    There is also a centralised list on GO for transitions - again parents give their preferences to the waiting list co-ordinator who matches girls to available places.

Communication between Unit Teams and Waiting List Co-ordinator has to be good and Unit Teams need to agree not to jump the gun and agree things with parents without consulting waiting list co-ordiantor

Works really well for us and we have evenly filled Units across the District :)

3. JJJJ1980

So when the map comes up it just shows the district and not individual units?

4. culcheth1

No it shows individual Units - it looks the same we just manage it differently

5. JJJJ1980

Bear with me - parents choose the units as usual, does the system then send it to one list or does the co-ordinator get the notification and move it to a special district list?

6. culcheth1

The system doesn't do anything different - it's all done manually.

Once a parent has registered the waiting list co-ordinator contacts them and double checks with Unit they would like as 1st choice. They can then tell parent the time scale for getting a place at that unit etc and agree if they want to wait or would like another Unit etc

Some parents register so early (child a baby etc) that they have no idea which unit they would like. We put all these under 1 Unit for admin purposes.

The comments section on Join Us is updated at all stages.

If you have District privileges on Join Us and GO (which our waiting list person does) then you can view the waiting list for the whole district on one list even those they may be allocated to different Units. Our Waiting List person looks from a District perspective and runs the waiting list from that list. Unit Teams don't get involved the process at all

7. JJJJ1980

Ok, Thanks Culcheth, that makes more sense. I think that could work if we could get the communication working!

8. culcheth1

Communication is key! That and getting all Units to agree that they won't get involved in the workings of the waiting list