• Welcome Guest to the new look forum. For more information refer to this thread

I'm a ... guider part 60

ker-stee

SGP Enthusiast
GuiderPlus
I’m a Guider who has noticed an increase in WTD being added to lists of “fake” and “silly” holidays/celebrations on social media comedy/lifestyle groups. Last year I kept getting ads for adult colouring books on a “Thinking day sale”! Perhaps this year there should be more publicity about WTD (could link into adult recruitment) - I’d hate to see a special Guiding day become known by the public for being a non related “made up day”…
Really, I wish they weren't called 'Fake' or 'silly' more than anything. Just 'unusual' would be better. It may cause someone who doesn't know anything about Guiding or Scouting to look it up though - surely the publicity through things like this are good! (In a roundabout way...

fenris

fenris
GuiderPlus
I’m a Guider who has noticed an increase in WTD being added to lists of “fake” and “silly” holidays/celebrations on social media comedy/lifestyle groups. Last year I kept getting ads for adult colouring books on a “Thinking day sale”! Perhaps this year there should be more publicity about WTD (could link into adult recruitment) - I’d hate to see a special Guiding day become known by the public for being a non related “made up day”…
To the outsider, it may seem odd to set a day aside for 'thinking', an activity that could apparently be done at any time of year - the thinking day name is not self-explanatory. But I'm sure some of the other seemingly odd holidays may well have a deeper/more serious meaning (such as those where a seemingly silly activity is done to raise money for a serious charitable cause). So to have Thinking Day make it onto such lists has it's positive aspects too - it shows that it is or is becoming known beyond Guiding/Scouting circles and is reaching the wider public.

And of course, all special days are, to an extent at least, made up. For some festivals, it was unclear when the actual date of an event fell, so they allocated a date. For others, they decided to invent an event and chose a date to suit their purpose.

badgemad4

Veteran (100+ posts)
I’m a Guider with a question that isn’t worth setting up a new thread for:
Was the adult rugby shirt (quartered and discountined a couple of years ago) for leaders or was it apart of memberwear? A UH who has been given one has asked me if she can wear it rather than her own clothes.

Batty Owl

Veteran (100+ posts)
Was the adult rugby shirt (quartered and discountined a couple of years ago) for leaders or was it apart of memberwear? A UH who has been given one has asked me if she can wear it rather than her own clothes.
I'm pretty sure it was leader uniform. My assistant Guider had one :)

fenris

fenris
GuiderPlus
The mid blue/navy was. Other rugby shirts (the pale blue quartered, the navy/green quartered) were not.

Fox

Brownie-induced madness
I'm a Guider who is wondering about doing badges with my little Beaver Scout - I know there's someone on here who may know the answer - will the leader have a fit if I ask about doing them at home? Will he have to show what he's done to everyone in his (rather large) unit?

I'm also a Guider who should be working because her union has decided to call 14 strike days meaning she needs to GET ON WITH WORK RIGHT NOW and get things done.

badgemad4

Veteran (100+ posts)
I'm a Guider who is wondering about doing badges with my little Beaver Scout - I know there's someone on here who may know the answer - will the leader have a fit if I ask about doing them at home? Will he have to show what he's done to everyone in his (rather large) unit?
Can’t speak for all Scouting units but my brothers unit was always happy for him to do at home, but appreciated if Mum or Dad mentioned at the start of term to avoid over lap. Their fab leader is quite flexible though (and used to be a Guider!)