• Welcome Guest to the new look forum. For more information refer to this thread

International Jamboree QLD Australia 2015

Koolyn

Beginner (10+ posts)
I'm 99% sure I'll be there. I'm only about an hour and a half away from the site and we're actively campaigning to allow an Olave to go as an Olave and not as a leader, but I'm not sure if we'll be able to swing it.

Yes, I think it's kinda expensive, though maybe I should get a discount. It seems pointless to drive 2.5 hours to have to drive to the airport and then drive another hour and a half to get there.

BGleader

Veteran (100+ posts)
GuiderPlus
I'm 99% sure I'll be there.

Yes, I think it's kinda expensive, though maybe I should get a discount. It seems pointless to drive 2.5 hours to have to drive to the airport and then drive another hour and a half to get there.
Oh wonderful! We are still in discussion about the event as it was only brought to my attention a few days ago, but as i've never attended a Jamboree before i'd really like to go!

I seem to recall reading that there would be no discounts even if you didn't need the airport transport - which is annoying for those that live so close! I'm a decent plane ride away though, so i'd be needing it!

BGleader

Veteran (100+ posts)
GuiderPlus
I'm only about an hour and a half away from the site and we're actively campaigning to allow an Olave to go as an Olave and not as a leader, but I'm not sure if we'll be able to swing it.
What would the Olave member do at the event? Still take on an adult role?

Koolyn

Beginner (10+ posts)
What would the Olave member do at the event? Still take on an adult role?
We're hoping it will be something like activities or something, still an adult role but not a full on leader role if that makes sense. But again were not holding our breath unfortunately. Trying as hard as we can but not totally sure they'll allow it.

Thankfully our region is okay with 18-30's just being olaves and not leaders too, though many of us are but not all regions are as lucky as we are.

bubblesaus

Veteran (100+ posts)
Woo for so many Aussies on a single thread! Where is MsLaurie I wonder :p

I really really want to go! I was never offered Jamborees as a Guide and I missed out on FanTAStic - some of my friends went and I was so wishing I had gone!

But it is sooo expensive, even to go as a leader where you will be "working". (especially by the time I add travel costs!) And I have no idea what I might be doing in September next year, which kind of doesn't help.

It would be super cool to have some Olave program! And maybe a good way to remind Guiding we exist, and maybe do a linking activity with the 17yr old Guides. Good luck with the convincing! Maybe they will at least think about it for next time, even if it doesn't happen this time.

We should organise an (affordable) Olave Jamboree/Moot!

mazi159

Assistant Guide Guider
Looking at possibly coming out for this camp, but just asked if there is roles on the service team to come to the camp as I can't get girls to come with me as they will have just started back at school after their summer break.

BGleader

Veteran (100+ posts)
GuiderPlus

I really really want to go! I was never offered Jamborees as a Guide and I missed out on FanTAStic - some of my friends went and I was so wishing I had gone!

But it is sooo expensive, even to go as a leader where you will be "working". (especially by the time I add travel costs!) And I have no idea what I might be doing in September next year, which kind of doesn't help.

It would be super cool to have some Olave program! And maybe a good way to remind Guiding we exist, and maybe do a linking activity with the 17yr old Guides. Good luck with the convincing! Maybe they will at least think about it for next time, even if it doesn't happen this time.

We should organise an (affordable) Olave Jamboree/Moot!
I like you have never been to a Jamboree and am suddenly wondering how that happened? I've been in Guiding for a loooong time, I definitely should have experienced at least one! :)
I second a cheap OP event though!

The cost thing is a bit of a (huge) issue...

Koolyn

Beginner (10+ posts)
I think travel plays a huge part in OP events. We've had state OP Romps (Rovers Moot and Boot & Olaves Romp and Stomp according to QLD anyway) before. The next one (our second NQ Romp) is in Cairns for their festival, we had one last year in Harvey Bay for the Whale Festival (Whale Romp). Prior to that we had a smaller one with a few peer groups from Brisbane and ours in Toowoomba where we travelled to Chinchilla for our Wild Watermelon Romp.

We've managed to keep the costs down to some degree I think Watermelon Romp was about $30 (2 nights accommodation in a guide hut, breakfasts both mornings but not dinner on Saturday night because we went out and everyone paid for their own meals though we provided some drinks and garlic bread and I'm sure some other things I can't remember) We also chipped in some petrol money for whoever drove our carpool to Chinchilla (about 2.5 hours west).

I think travel is the main cost for most things but they can be done cheaply once you're there. We also have a heap of issues getting people to drive an hour and a half to us but we're expected to drive an hour and a half to them without even thinking...

MsLaurie

Veteran (100+ posts)
YOU RANG? /Lurch

:)
I won't be going - I'm not much of a camper and the money (and leave!!) involved to go and work like crazy isn't something I can easily justify.

Wouldn't be surprised if a couple of my girls go though - I guide in a wealthy area, so the costs I find mildly horrifying are unlikely to phase my parent group :)

Koolyn

Beginner (10+ posts)
We were discussing GBG at a Leader Outdoor Training over the weekend. It sounds like there are some really great things in the planning for it.

Plus as was said then it's $25 each week between now and March which makes the cost seem more acheivable. That doesn't factor in flights or travel only participant costs.