• Welcome Guest to the new look forum. For more information refer to this thread

is this a bylaw?

magpie_owl

Veteran (100+ posts)
I moved recently and leaders in my new area are adamant that if a Going Away With... qualification hasn't been used for 3 years, it has to be reassessed. This doesn't particularly matter to me as I use mine regularly, but seems to be impacting local Guiding as people hardly do residential as going by this 3 year rule, hardly anyone has a qualification.

I was intrigued as I couldn't think of having seen this anywhere official, and having had a good look through the bits on residential online, I still can't see anything - does anyone know is this a bylaw in action or is there anything official on it?

badgemad4

Veteran (100+ posts)
Not specific to GAW but three years seems to be a general rule for lots of things in Guiding. For example you have three years to rejoin before needing a new background check. The most I can find is if a person had left and rejoined after longer than three years she is expected to not completely redo her ALQ but sit with a mentor to be updated/ check for knowledge gaps Retirement
Leadership Qualification

It might be that they have decided to apply this type of principle to GAW, it sounds bylawish. That said some information is really squirrelled away on the site, you might be better asking someone at CHQ or region for advice if locally it’s an issue and get some clarification.

magpie_owl

Veteran (100+ posts)
Hmmm, it does seem a bit byelawish doesn't it.. they were all so confidently stating it as fact I thought I'd have a look myself before I started challenging it!

They already think I'm odd because I am, you know, working to the current programme, doing risk assessments, and refusing to be called Captain or a bird name :(;)

Last edited:

badgemad4

Veteran (100+ posts)
It might be that it used to be a rule, and it’s since been removed, to be fair lots of manual information changes happen fairly silently. I’ve looked a few times for things that used to be explicitly stated only a year or so ago but now have no details or are ambiguous.

Frustratingly there isn’t a “legacy” information option to know if this sort of thing is an old held onto rule or a totally fabricated by law.

An offer of a recap/refresh seems sensible to make sure someone is up to date, a whole reassessment doesn’t sound fun for anyone involved!

Good luck on your information quest! :)

Quack

Veteran (100+ posts)
Staff member
GuiderPlus
It was the case at one time, and I understand that anyone holding such a qualification needs needs to either use it or at least keep it up to date. If it does lapse then reassessment may be the wrong word but an update session may be required to ensure they keep up to date with form requirements etc.

Tregi

Veteran (100+ posts)
It is not a ruling, and I suspect it may have been used in this case to stop the old dear who hasn't taken any group away for 10-15 years using the same stuff she used before, without checking if it is relevant, up to date or covering requirements. Your District Commissioner has to sign your REN off, so I expect units where leaders haven't done a residential in a while would be told they needed to 'refresh' their knowledge.

browniebeth

Brownie Leader
Staff member
GuiderPlus
But who keeps records to know whether you have or not? Seems like a difficult one to regulate without commissioners keeping extra records (which they shouldn't be).

And what do they mean by not using? Not going on a residential at all for 3+ years? Not being named as licence holder?

Seems like a by-law to me, or an ill-thought-through wider initiative. Unless the person has not had an active role at all for that time, then I guess it can be refreshed, much like the LQ. But otherwise I don't see how it can be enforced....

Hilary

Guide Guider and District Commissioner
GuiderPlus
Definitely used to be a rule. The old camp and pack holiday licences had space on the back to be “endorsed “ every three years by a visiting assessor. If it wasn’t endorsed every three years it lapsed. Oh, the good old days! Now we just all have a responsibility to keep our knowledge up to date.

fenris

fenris
GuiderPlus
What is encouraged is attending camps/holidays to keep your knowledge/experience up to date. But it doesn't mean you have to attend as Leader in Charge, nor is it a strict three years to the day. (So units who camp together and have 4 Leaders qualified don't have to keep rotating who is listed as in charge in order to keep all their qualifications valid!).

Bee

Veteran (100+ posts)
GuiderPlus
Before a DC signs a REN she needs to make sure that everyone's qualifications are relevant and current, DBS, First aid etc. I'm guessing that some could be interpreting this as the GAW licence needs to be renewed every 3 years - as previously suggested. If it did have to be updated that would need to be updated on GO (like the DBS) and it isn't. I'm a DC and I haven't ever been asked to record when anyone goes away on GO - I've would have certainly been told if I'm missing out recording things!

If any doubt I would email your County GAW adviser to confirm - and ask about any "updates" which might have happened since the last event/gaining the qualification.

Quack

Veteran (100+ posts)
Staff member
GuiderPlus
It really comes down to trust. There was once an actually ruling that such things needed to be kept up to date and used, this was in the days when the DC knew everyone and what they had done in the past.

Nowadays such things are recorded on GO to a point, so the qualification is there but the DC may not knwo if it has been used recently or if the individual has been on events recently. It is her responsibility though to ensure anyone taking girls away is capable and upto date with Girlguiding policies. This may simply be a phone call or a chat at the unit meeting, if she has doubts then she can make suggestions how the situation can be resolved eg further training, reassessment..

What we always need to remember is that it is the DC's responsibilty to ensure any residential is run safely and in line with our policies and sometimes 'by-laws' can be regarded as best practice, but they must be implemented fairly.

Sent from my SGP712 using Tapatalk