• Welcome Guest to the new look forum. For more information refer to this thread

Question? Job Roles for UH's

Hi all,

I am a Unit Leader who has got 2 new Unit Helpers this September (1 working towards Leadership). I was asked by one of my helpers about defining roles for each person. Does anyone else have any experience of setting specific roles for each leader/helper? Any advice??

Thanks!

Wizard

Veteran (100+ posts)
GuiderPlus
When I had a few unit helpers on a rota I had a laminated sheet on which, each evening I could tick against any*job* that would need doing. So set tables & chairs out, help girls with cutting, ensure hand washing, work with a particular group of rainbows. It also had a brief outline of the activity so if they hadn't been the previous week they knew what to expect. At the end of the night I'd just wipe the sheet clean ready for the next. As a basic guide when they first started I outlined that they were an extra pair of hands and eyes and could be as hands on as they liked. Most gained confidence, three have gone on to become leaders, two at other units!

Cazbly

Darth Vader (12,500+ posts)
Ok - looking at your post you have one Leader in Training and one Unit Helper.

For your leader in training - you need be supporting her through the completion of her ALQ - ensuring that she has the opportunities to complete all her modules - so have a look at the book with her and work out how you can best support her. But examples include - ensuring she is fully involved in programme planning, meeting delivery, appraisal of how things went, has a look at Join Us and GO with you, get notification of District, Division and County events. A good GiC will support her ALQ Assistant Guider to ensure that she feels confident and happy to complete it quickly - you are effectively a second mentor to her.

For a Unit Helper, it can be whatever they feel comfortable with - they may or may not want to be invited along to planning, they may be happy running some activities or they may want to do things like registers, setting up equipment or tidying away, doing refreshments etc - chat to them and find out how involved they wish to be.

emmaluvseeyore

Brownie Leader and Ranger Assistant
We don't have unit helpers yet, but do have a parent rota where we have two different parents each week. This term, I have written a plan for each session detailing what we are going to do. Myself and the other leader find we are too busy at the beginning dealing with parents that we don't have time to explain to all the helpers what we are doing. Having it all written down means we can hand it to them and they know what we are doing, what needs setting up etc. I am hoping it is going to mean we spend less time explaining and more time doing stuff.

If you are interested in what the sheets look like then I am happy to email them to you.

qwerky

Veteran (100+ posts)
GuiderPlus
Following on from what caxbly said, to help you support you leader in training there is a publication in hte members area of the GGUK site - to help you there is a publication called "supporting leaders in traiing" - there are version for:
Leadership Coordinators
Leadership Qualification Mentors
Local Commissioners
Unit Leaders (who have a Leader in Training in their unit)
Leaders in Training - please note, this document is in MS Word so that you can edit it.
Leadership Qualification records on Go! - FAQs - for any questions about recording Leadership Qualification information on Go!

they are all available at:
Home »Members' area & Go! »Resource library »Girlguiding publications »Supporting Leaders in Training

There is also another set of resources you can refer to in the "Supporting new volunteers section":
Home »Members' area & Go! »Resource library »Growing guiding resources »Supporting new volunteers

I'd urge you to look at "Nurturing new leaders" and to refer you Lit to "Leadership made easy".

These can help you understand what is being asked of your LiT, and how you can make small adjustments to you planning and proofreader running so as to better enable them to gain their qualification simply and quickly.

Quack

Veteran (100+ posts)
Staff member
GuiderPlus
I also wonder as the Unit Helper asked for it, is she looking for guidelines as in 'these are my tasks' and 'these are your tasks' so they are not tripping over each other or even worse spending the evening chatting whilst you or another run around all night.

Thanks so much for all the advice - very helpful. Just stepped up from an assistant guider to taking the lead role and I want to make sure I'm doing all the right things to make them want to stay! I will take on board all your feedback!

Thanks!!

We don't have unit helpers yet, but do have a parent rota where we have two different parents each week. This term, I have written a plan for each session detailing what we are going to do. Myself and the other leader find we are too busy at the beginning dealing with parents that we don't have time to explain to all the helpers what we are doing. Having it all written down means we can hand it to them and they know what we are doing, what needs setting up etc. I am hoping it is going to mean we spend less time explaining and more time doing stuff.

If you are interested in what the sheets look like then I am happy to email them to you.

I would be interested as I am going to be on my own with a brand new parent rota and haven't had to have a parent rota for years now!

I'll pm you my email address.

fenris

fenris
GuiderPlus
Unit helper roles can range from the very occasional (e.g. teaches first aid badge when there is a group which wants to do it, helps on outings, can help out at last minute if one of the Leaders has to call off), to those who attend meetings every week and do the things a qualified Leader would do.

So the more relevant questions are:
What would you like each of them to do? and,
What would they like to do?

To answer the question you need to think about what are the different tasks and roles in the unit. It would include unit admin (accounts, Go, Join Us, permission forms, shopping). Outing planning and paperwork. Challenge and badge work. Running different activities in the programme - games, music, craft, cooking, challenges, skills, dance/drama, outdoors etc. Working with the girls - helping support recruits, supporting Sixers/Patrol Leaders, helping girls with transition to the next section.

Sometimes the best way is to bring a list of what is to be done to a meeting and ask the others whether there is any role on it that they would like to take on, whilst making it clear that you would be happy to take on your share of the leftovers!

guiderlinda

Veteran (100+ posts)
In many ways, it depends.

I know that I tend to have a load of things that need doing at the start of meetings (meet parents, check that Brownies sign in, collect paperwork, run arrival activity, inspect Sixes etc). To make life more interesting for everyone I try to split that between my leaders, UH, YLs and others to give different challenges each week. Only the arrival activity is on the programme but all the leadership understand that there are multiple activities.

After that, we tend to arrange one or two main activities for the evening - which are planned and responsibility allocated for the term. We then run games for the rest of the night - I try to plan on the night so that people get enough notice to do something whilst allowing us space to vary if needed (unless the game is part of the planned programme)

If I thought I needed a ticklist for cleaning tables after craft I'd probably give up now.