1. Welcome Guest to the new look forum. For more information refer to this thread
    Dismiss Notice

Keeping Girls' Data Updated

Discussion in 'Question & Answers' started by elixa, Aug 8, 2017.

1. elixa

elixa Regular (50+ posts)

For context, I'm a Guide leader.

When a new girl joins, I make sure we use the new starter/welcome leaflet report on GO and chase up the personal details form.

I do spot checks against outing permission forms for addresses, names, telephone numbers but sometimes I do not get full information, or updated information from a family (the surprise asthmatic who'd never mentioned it, listed it, nobody at home and not brought her inhaler, is one fresh in my memory!)

What strategies do people use for ensuring they get families to check and update girls' personal details?

2. browniebeth

browniebeth Brownie Leader Staff Member Moderator GuiderPlus

Aside from sending the form for checking annually, there's not a lot you can do, it's up to them to tell you when things change/ when either side realise they're not getting emails etc.

fenris likes this.
  3. fenris

fenris fenris GuiderPlus

Also need to be aware that the contact/address details on outing forms may be temporary and only apply to that day (parents are away so they will put granny's house address in case she has to be taken home, but parents mobiles as they will be contactable, for instance).

4. chopperchick

chopperchick Veteran (100+ posts) Staff Member Moderator GuiderPlus

Sadly not a lot!
    Agree, the outing forms may well be a one-off contact depending on who is available.

But, I'm a trustee of our company pension scheme ..... and it's difficult enough for us to get people to update their "Expression of Wish" form which nominates who they want a death-in-service payout made to. So I reckon there's no hope the rest of us :)

5. turnip

turnip Veteran (100+ posts)

Usually when a parent complains that they weren't told about something its because they never bothered to tell us they'd moved/changed mobile numbers or else their email address was illegible.

6. badgemad4

badgemad4 Veteran (100+ posts)

We always made sure that the update form was given as a paper copy...sounds obvious especially as mobiles are more likely to have updated than email but so many messages and forms are automatically emailed these days it can be easy to forget!

7. elixa

My spot checks don't necessarily mean I'd change someone's home address, ladies :D - it tends to be updated mobile numbers (labelled 'mum' or 'dad') and the like, and if it was a different address, I might make myself a note to check with the guide at the next meeting.

Update/personal detail forms have to go out as a paper copy in a sealed envelope, unless you're encrypting the personal data.

Glad I'm not missing something obvious! I resort to using a highlighter pen on the gaps in data on the printouts to make it clear what needs to be added. Invariably there's a new bit of data to be filled out each iteration. Going to see what new GO system has for this academic year :)

8. dragnilk

dragnilk Beginner (10+ posts)

I don't think you can do anymore than you are doing. I only discovered a Brownie had moved house when given her health form at the start of a pack holiday so all of the charts I prepared with emergency contact details were wrong. It took me a whole term to get a personal details form back for a new starter this year, luckily her sister was already a member so I knew I had the contact details. I moved her onto GO! before receiving the form back as I was getting hassle for having her sitting on the meeting arranged tab of JoinUs for too long. Whoever writes the rules for how we should be using the systems doesn't have to deal with parents like we do!

Epona likes this.
  9. Kochanski

Kochanski Veteran (100+ posts)

If it's any help, my tip is that on a girl's first meeting I give parents an infomation pack which includes a blank form asking for all the info I should already have ( but it's too easy for them to scan - or not scan - and say yeah that's right when it isn't ) and tell them they can stay as long as they like but before they leave I must have that form back. It works for all except those who were brought by a friend who's an existing member. Oh well, you can't win em all.

10. quietbrownowl

quietbrownowl Veteran (100+ posts)

When we have a new nrownie join I always add them to go first (I know I probably should wait until she's had her first meeting but it's easier this way for me), I then print off the starting form from go with her membership number so all the info we have is printed on it. I give it to the parents on the first night and ask them to check there and then it's right and make any changes. Works for us.

dragnilk likes this.
  11. elixa

Yep, the new starters are the easy ones. It's more the existing Guides and keeping up to date I was asking about, but thanks for the replies. All in the same boat :D

I wondered whether it would be useful on GO for there to be a way of showing the last date information was updated, which might highlight new data and old data and encourage it to be checked, but that might be pedantic.

12. dragnilk

dragnilk Beginner (10+ posts)

I don't know whether the new GO will have improved this but one thing that always frustrated me was that you couldn't print the pre-filled starting form from JoinUs!

13. elixa

They are now one system, so it should work.

That said, I couldn't generate a new starter form on the training site, and I've not yet tried on the new one...

14. citaborca

citaborca Regular (50+ posts)

Has anybody tried printing the forms to check the details held on GO? I'm having a nightmare trying to do it. I keep clicking on the generate for box on the unit details page, and then going back in every few minutes to see if the report has appeared but it doesn't. I tried the other day, and managed to get one to appear, but not since. When I went to print the one I managed it had a page inbetween each girl which was all highlighted in yellow, and wouldn't used a massive amount of ink. Any suggestions?

15. Tregi

Tregi Veteran (100+ posts)

I printed out the starting forms for ours - although it left nearly everything blank (apart from Unit/District etc info) I thought that would be better to make sure the amount and range of information that we can store is fully up to date - parents change their mind with emergency contacts, photo permissions etc. It took a while - but all of them appeared. I did have to do it girl by girl however, but we are a small unit. I then just printed pages 3-6. You could just print the relevent pages in your document.

16. citaborca

Thanks for reply, the starting forms don't seem to have as much on as the individual details forms e.g only one space for parent/career, and only 1 space for emergency contact, and as it doesn't seem to populate, we aren't really checking the stuff held on the system, or do you just delete anything that isn't on the new form? Also I can't see the new "can the leader store your number on their phone" question on the starting leaflet, or am I just being dopey and missing it?
    Have you also seen it now says it's best practice to do it termly?

17. citaborca

Ignore the bit about the phone number question not being on the form, I've just found it lol

18. Jenefer

Jenefer Regular (50+ posts)

I was able to generate the starting frms but they were blank

19. citaborca

My starting forms were blank as well apart from the unit information. Can't generate the girls individual details report at all though.

20. elixa

My new starter forms from the system the other week came out as garbage, so I ended up using the 2016 pdfs and filled them in with the info from GO for my new Guides.

The website has 2017 forms as docx format now, and the 2016 ones have been removed - if you're getting stuck.