• Welcome Guest to the new look forum. For more information refer to this thread

Knowing

badgemad4

Veteran (100+ posts)
What do we all think of the new campaign?

At first I thought that the “know” bit was a little random, but then after seeing some of the gifs linking them with the new programme it clicked!

It would have been nice to have seen at least one of the women in a leaders uniform rather than all of them being either in the members uniform or their own clothes. Aside from that I liked it, it looks professional, fresh, and it shows us as a varied and dynamic movement. :D

Also without wanting to step on the mods toes, there were some very gut reactions on FB today- and this part of the forum is very public...let us not forget the great Guide uniform fiasco (for those not in the know I was falsely quoted as being the SW region commissioner in a newspaper! Others quotes were also published). Saying that we are normally very moderate on here!

elenopa

Brownie Guider
I too wondered where the adult uniform was.

Do we know where this is being circulated? I hope they are not relying on social media. What would have been really good would be if they got Guiders on one of the idents on the BBC.

Quack

Veteran (100+ posts)
Staff member
GuiderPlus
I believe it is social media initially. It's aimed at 24 to 35 year olds. I don't expect it will be on TV at all, I don't know how they plan to progress it...

There has been plenty of positive comments so far. I think we are quite backward it telling people how much we enjoy what we do and what we get out of it... we are really quick to say when it's been a rotten night at Guides or Flossie's mum kicked off again. But when do we say when we had a great night, when we see the smile of achievement when a Guide succeeds at a challenge or we get the thank you when they move on to the next section. I think we are too good at hiding our guiding lights under the proverbial bushel...

Sent from my SGP712 using Tapatalk

browniebeth

Brownie Leader
Staff member
GuiderPlus
I haven't seen the video yet, but I really dislike the frame they've created for Facebook profile pictures "I know my place"....no context, no Girlguiding branding....I've seen some people who used it get asked if everything was already at home!!!

I just think that could have been better....if you're going to do something like that and not brand it etc, it's got to be meaningful on its own.

Will post tomorrow when I've watched the video. That seems to have received a better reception.

partygirl

Veteran (100+ posts)
I think it's great! People are complaining all over FB (which is why I've come on here - sensible discussion) that it's sexist and out of date but they are missing the point. It's supposed to be a bit controversial so that it gets people talking about it!

I believe the lack of uniform is deliberate so that all women can relate to it and think "that could be me". I'm not sure that anyone apart from members would notice anyway.

Although FB is, as usual, quite negative, it's had a fab response on Twitter. Lets just wait and see if that translates into volunteers clicking through to register. Fingers crossed.

Lynz

Veteran (100+ posts)
As someone who isn't currently following Girlguiding on social media or up to date with current campaigns, I find the "I know my place" slogan/ profile picture frame on facebook quite jarring and, seen in isolation without the branding, easy to take out of context. I know it's designed to be controversial, and for people who are interested enough to look further and engage then that's great, but for many non-members that will be the first or only bit of the campaign they see and I'm not sure it gives the desired impression. I do like the image with the 4 "know..." slogans that I've seen since though, I think it conveys the sentiment really well, and the video sounds positive too.

browniebeth

Brownie Leader
Staff member
GuiderPlus
I said I'd come back with thoughts once I'd watched the video...I don't mind it, because it expands a bit to give the context... Although it does make us sound like a bit of a cult!!! I can see what they're trying to do with the Know My Place - rather than being the dutiful housewife girls and women can be wherever they choose to be, and do what they want to do (not that there's anything wrong with the above).

Do I think it says much about us as an organisation...? No, but I don't think it's meant to because it's designed as a catchy extract with a memorable quote. So in that respect, it's worked.

Did we need the several of the clips twice? Was there nothing else that might have gone in? It was very adventurous activities heavy, but again I'm assuming that was deliberate to emphasise their point. Senior section members were conspicuously absent.

I felt like more could have been done to emphasise the safe space volunteers give for young people to realise their potential. That's why I volunteer, not to make the most noise, or lobby politicians, I don't see myself as particularly strong or powerful - just little me doing my best....all I want is to see that painfully shy Brownie join in with a boisterous game and come away with a grin on her face. I would have liked to see more meeting place fun like that, but I appreciate the vibe they were going for - however with so much outdoor stuff, I am left thinking "do we just do sign language all winter until we can get out again?!".

But yes, the video was more successful than the Facebook frame. I like the picture that is going round Facebook by someone else which uses the know you place but adds the words self and worth and Girlguiding branding. I think that's much better!

partygirl

Veteran (100+ posts)
I'll be interested to see if this is the only video. One video, one frame and one tagline is perhaps not "a campaign" so I'm hoping it will be one of many things to come out.

Quack

Veteran (100+ posts)
Staff member
GuiderPlus
So we've had two new volunteer enquiries since yesterday as a County. Hard to say if this is a result of the new campaign but they are certainly welcome. I think we regard it as a marathon rather than a sprint and the gun has only just fired..

dragnilk

Regular (50+ posts)
So we've had two new volunteer enquiries since yesterday as a County. Hard to say if this is a result of the new campaign but they are certainly welcome. I think we regard it as a marathon rather than a sprint and the gun has only just fired..
Thats great news! I really hope it is a successful campaign. However I have had 2 new Rainbow enquiries this morning, the first two we've had since september, I'm hoping its just a coincidence and not because of the push for new volunteers.

I noticed on the GO fix updates they added "Know your place" as an option in the how did you hear about us field, now the campaign has been launched I can understand why its been added but earlier this week it really confused me! Hopefully there will be some good data generated on how the campaign is working.

Lynz

Veteran (100+ posts)
Out of interest, has anyone had more new enquiries following the campaign?

Since my last post I've had a chance to watch the video properly; it's striking and effective, it grabs your attention and the message comes through clearly. I admit I'm still not a fan of the plain "Know your place" facebook frame, but a lot of people seem to like it. Hopefully the campaign has been successful in starting some positive conversations one way or another :)

badgemad4

Veteran (100+ posts)
We haven’t so far, but our area isn’t in somewhere that many women in the target age group group live. Some of our neighbouring areas though have got a very positive reaction, with one area getting 5 new enquires!

fenris

fenris
GuiderPlus
I was away on holiday abroad on the week this came out, so missed it. No, I mean 100% missed it. I didn't see it at the time as I was not logged on to social media due to the expense of using it abroad. And since I got back a couple of weeks ago, there has been very little said about it.

I do hope there will be some consistent follow-up publicity steps taken over the coming weeks/months to maintain momentum following the initial publicity burst.