1. Welcome Guest to the new look forum. For more information refer to this thread
    Dismiss Notice

Leaders only sleepover

Discussion in 'Camping and Sleepovers' started by quietbrownowl, Jul 11, 2017.

1. quietbrownowl

quietbrownowl Veteran (100+ posts)

has anyone done a district leaders only sleepover? It's (probably) a daft idea I've had but thought it would be a good way t get all our district leaders together, share ideas, help those working on alq etc.

What do all you wise leaders think?

2. browniebeth

browniebeth Brownie Leader Staff Member Moderator GuiderPlus

We've done a weekend specifically for LQ leaders before. We have a mix of social and serious sessions to get through the bits that a lot struggle with - the reading bits (making them interactive), first aid and safe space. Then on the Sunday we invite all leaders in the district to a buffet lunch social afternoon.

FluffyOwl and AngliaGuider like this.
  3. Trinny

Trinny Veteran (100+ posts)

Maybe ask whether people would rather do a sleepover or just a day course? Or do a sleepover but cover the content during the day so people can leave at 5pm if they'd rather not stay. You know your leaders best though.

4. fenris

fenris fenris GuiderPlus

Not as such, but we once went to a 'DC and team' training weekend, at one of the training centres, which was good.

AngliaGuider likes this.
  5. partygirl

partygirl Veteran (100+ posts)

Depends on whether you are looking at it as a training weekend or a social/networking weekend.

I don't think a whole weekend training would go down very well here but we go on a Division Social Weekend once a year. Last year we stayed at Foxlease and then spent a day at Brownsea Island, this year we are going to Waddow - can't wait!

6. Quack

Quack Veteran (100+ posts) Staff Member Moderator GuiderPlus

You could always book onto a TAC training weekend as a District...there's always an element of social involved...or do your County have a County residential training weekend that you could all go to?
    If you do it as purely social, then Guiding will inevitably be a prominent topic of conversation but you need other activities/distractions so a weekend to London/Bath/Edinburgh... will cost exclude some? Do they all have the same interests, do you include YL's does that give a problem re alcohol?

I think many Districts would come together fine for a weekend with a purpose but don't expect everyone to participate and consider what you want to get out of it first....team building, skills training or just a fun weekend.

fenris likes this.
  7. turnip

turnip Veteran (100+ posts)

My county does training weekends that include a social element

A sleepover makes me think of everyone together on the floor which isn't particularly appealing as an adult!