1. Welcome Guest to the new look forum. For more information refer to this thread
    Dismiss Notice

leaders uniform jumpers or jackets...

Discussion in 'Uniform' started by kirstyr, Sep 6, 2017.

1. kirstyr

kirstyr Veteran (100+ posts)

Anyone else my feelings about the lack of leaders jackets? I really loved the zipped hoodie so was a little taken aback this has been discontinued (according to our local shop). The shell jacket doesn't quite fit the same and has no space for a badge tab (our meeting place gets quite cool in winter). I have some older guiders who would prefer old style sweatshirt or zipped jumper, and they feel there's nothing for them. I've for a hoodie instead, but it feels a bit casual. Are there plans to introduce more uniform for leaders??

2. badgemad4

badgemad4 Veteran (100+ posts)

I think the adult wear has been having a slight rejiggle in both manufacturers and the range available. For a while the members wear polo has been out of stock in most sizes for example. I think there is also a trend towards streamlining the amount of different bits of uniform available based off feedback that there was too much to have a coherent "look" (compare the current Guide uniform to the AC one, TSS have had the rugby shirt discontinued)

3. Hilary

Hilary Guide Guider and District Commissioner GuiderPlus

Strange decision to discontinue the zipped hoodie which was by far the most popular leader jumper in our area. I see it is cheaper than the hoodie and in limited sizes on the Guidingshop website so I suspect you are correct. I wear my badge tap on my soft-shell jacket without any adverse effect.

4. Trinny

Trinny Veteran (100+ posts)

Luckily in our area someone heard on the grapevine that the zipped hoodie was being discontinued, so basically everyone went to buy one just before they went out of stock. It's a great way to get a bargain, and also so it's much comfier than a shell jacket. So what if it's not official uniform anymore - it all looks roughly the same and all the leader uniform decisions are so arbitrary anyway. It's not like wearing JB, which clearly doesn't match. #sorrynotsorry

5. Hilary

Hilary Guide Guider and District Commissioner GuiderPlus

No one has said it is not official uniform. As you say it matches the rest.

6. KRAIN

KRAIN Veteran (100+ posts)

I did not know it was discontinued and was getting a new one for my birthday. Here's hoping our depot might still have some.

7. fenris

fenris fenris GuiderPlus

I have had the soft shell for a while and really like it. With there being no tab I can put the badge tab that bit higher (which helps given I'm not tall), and the showerproof fabric is really handy for outdoor activities. It's also much warmer than the zip hoody was.

Zipped hoody is uniform, and will be for at least the next couple of years, probably longer.

8. Hilary240

Hilary240 Beginner (10+ posts)

Here's hoping that my zipped hoodie will last until I retire! With the new soft shell, have they thought about people like me who are unable to wear synthetic fibres, and have to have natural ones? If I need anything extra in summer, I have to wear a thin cotton cardigan or jumper, and in winter a thicker woollen one.

9. Pixielation

Pixielation Brown Owl (x2)

I'm a perfectly average shape, and the shell jacket is way to tight around my hips, baggy at the shoulder. I like the look of it, but it's certainly not comfortable if necessary to zip it up. My older zipped hoodie's sleeves have got about an inch shorter every year I've had it. I expect it to be fully short sleeved in about 10 years.

10. ker-stee

ker-stee SGP Enthusiast GuiderPlus

Have you ever emailed trading about the fabrics? If they don't know it's a problem then they'll never look to alternatives or make changes.

fenris likes this.
  11. caroline68

caroline68 Regular (50+ posts)

I like the fact I can take the zipped hoody off and on without having to take it over my head (and maybe whatever I'm wearing underneath with it!) I think of it more as a 'cardi' (indoors) and the shell jacket is a jacket and therefore outdoors. Maybe both should be on offer. My zipped hoody is only 2 years old and not worn very often, so hoping it will last a lot longer!

12. Epona

Epona Veteran (100+ posts)

13. Nano

Nano (Newbie)

I didn't know the zip hoodie was being discontinued, that's the one I was considering buying. Could anyone tell me how accurate the measurements on the size guides are for the leader's jackets/hoodies?

I'm fairly slim but 6ft tall with arms like an orangutan and always have trouble with clothing lengths. I do Scouting as well and the lengths of the women's clothes there are a nightmare.... I'm hoping Girl Guiding is a little more realistic with its sizing!