1. Welcome Guest to the new look forum. For more information refer to this thread
    Dismiss Notice

Lets Talk..... residentials and camps

Discussion in 'Residentials' started by woodyowl, Mar 12, 2011.

1. woodyowl

woodyowl Forum Mod, Guide GIC, Rainbow GIC, Staff Member Moderator GuiderPlus

These guidelines have been put together by a group of Girlguiding UK volunteers, with expert assistance from Brook, the sexual health advisory service for young people. It is a result of the Let’s Talk consultation, which asked girls of all sections, Leaders and parents their views on a range of sex and relationships issues. The guidelines are a direct outcome of the consultation; a tool to give Leaders more confidence to make the right decisions for their unit.

There are Lets Talk documents specific to each section and one for camps and residentials. I've added these to each sub forum.

Attached Files:

2. sliceofrice

sliceofrice Veteran (100+ posts)

The new bit on there was useful about adults in relationships.

3. sandyowl

sandyowl brownowl

See you at Taverham Woodyowl?

4. jennthedeadfunkyranger

jennthedeadfunkyranger Guide Guider GuiderPlus

Thanks for posting this. This is something we're going to have to come up with guidelines on for Charnwood as we're taking 13-15 year olds on a mixed camp, so the document should come in useful for that.

I'm going to play on the 'boys are smelly and never go near the showers on camp' line to try to discourage them

5. bramblebush

bramblebush Veteran (100+ posts)

I am wondering how many condoms I need to pack for my 10-12 yr olds in June!!! Think it's maybe aimed a bit higher really, never thought the day would occur when I would be discussing STI's with kids, but our rangers had a talk last week, they are all 16 though! I doubt any of our girls would ask us about sex even though 2 of us work in NHS, I would hope my DD and DS would speak to me but I suppose I wouldnt mind too much if they spoke to another suitable adult.

6. chopperchick

chopperchick Veteran (100+ posts) Staff Member Moderator GuiderPlus

I think it's brilliant that there's something with some fact attached to it, when so many people will be unsure - yes, you can take condoms, yes, you can take them to see someone for specific SH advice.
    What is probably as important now is that leaders of this age group include it in their planning as they & parents see fit.

In an ideal world maybe, these discussions wouldn't "need" to happen in the guiding environment - but this isn't always an ideal world, and as leaders if we take our role seriously we will address this (where appropriate obviously .....)

Difficult subject, glad to see it addressed positively.

7. woodyowl

some very good points, Im currently at the regional development weekend for Anglia and one of the things that Ive discovered is the lack of knowledge that these fact sheets exist. Please try and pass on the message about these fact sheets.

Last edited: Mar 13, 2011
  8. bramblebush

bramblebush Veteran (100+ posts)

I will be running a cpd session on "tackling masturbation on guide camp" I'm booking the O2 arena, we think it could be oversubscribed! It's not an issue we've ever come across, but best to "be prepared" I feel very old, I remember the days when we packed sanitary belts and safety pins for the dr white's towels........not condoms!

9. sliceofrice

I think you're wrong to take the mickey out of this.
    These aren't brand new, the Lets Talk have been about, but I know that Woody and a few others (was it Anna and Rowan?) went to CHQ to discuss how to improve these. GGUK have taken the positive steps to add in about couples (whether they be married, cp, same sex or m/f) sleeping arrangements. This could be really useful to someone that is taking their SS girls on a camp where relationships may form.
    Tackling Materbation at camp could come from a brownie aged girl that doesn't understand that it's something to be done in the privacy of her own room. If a girl has her own room at home, she may not understand that it's a private matter. How we deal with it is vital as you do not want the child to feel like they have done something wrong (as it it isn't), but they do need to understand that it's private.

Considering you're taking 10-12s away from Yorkshire, I don't think you have anything to worry about...

Woody has posted section specific ones in each area. This one based on residentials/camps is applicable to all areas. Ok, we know a 6 y/o Rainbow won't be having sex, therefore won't be needing condoms but there are areas there that will affect Rainbow sleepovers.

On another note, at our ranger unit we often discussed areas like this. It was a safe girl only space with people we trusted. Rangers (SS) starts at 14, under the age of consent. Discussing this is important so that the right knowledge is out there. It only seem like a small piece of documentation but if you think about it knowledge is empowerment (which meets the Millenium Development Goal 3- Thinkday 2011's theme) and empowerment gives us the chance to make changes, eg, the simple knowledge of whether you can give a 15 y/o girl a condom so that she dosn't contract something as serious as HIV gives us the chance to fight HIV and Aids.
    Ok, that's taking it to the extreme, but surely it's better we know and are prepared.

Odd thought, can we assume that femidoms come under condoms?

Last edited: Mar 13, 2011
  10. jim

jim Moderator GuiderPlus

Odd thought, can we assume that femidoms come under condoms?
    well they do the same job just for different gender they are both buy me and stop ones

11. sliceofrice

Buy me and stop?

12. sari

sari pre-warranted GiC Staff Member Moderator GuiderPlus

"buy me and stop one" is a pun on the slogan painted on the ice cream vans..." stop me and buy one".......buy a condom and stop a baby!!

13. entropy

entropy Veteran (100+ posts) GuiderPlus

I'm just wondering, would you let a leader/unit helper/ss member/guide share a tent or room with someone they were in a relationship with? Would it make a difference if they were in a relationship with another girl? For example, if a leader came on a pack holiday with her husband who was helping too, I guess that most people would put them in the same room. But if a ss member was going to a mixed camp and her boyfriend was there then what?

14. sliceofrice

It would depend on the situation to what happens.

If it's agreed that a hubby and wife can stay in the same room then any leader couple over the age of 18 (as that's the legal age to get married) I would allow, whether they be same sex, bf/gf or big green monsters from outter space. I think the only problem there would be space, so it probably would be easier to bang the gals in together and blokes in together. I wouldn't expect any adult to be having sex on the weekend.

A SS member under 18 then personally I wouldn't allow it. Over 18 it really would depend on the group that were going and what everyone was happy with, though tbh I'd personally expect them to each stay with their own group.

Honestly, I think if I had two guides in a relationship then I wouldn't put them in the same tent. I wouldn't do it to a girl and boy so why would I allow two girls in a relationship to go in the same tent? I think that I'd have a chat with everyone beforehand too, make the rules clear.

We've had a similar experience apart from it was alcohol. When I was about 15 some of the girls in my ranger unit were over 18, therefore could legally drink. However, we all decided together that it was going to be a dry weekend.

Really it's just about being sensible and making the right decisions for the group. The decision doesn't have to land on your shoulders as a leader, it can be made by the group so that everyone is happy with the decision.

15. dollypip

dollypip Rach or Dolly i'll answer to anything...

Depends on the area about femidoms there's currently a project in Merseyside to make them more effective as currently it's 80% and some sexual health clinics refuse to distribute them as they are not deemed effective enough

16. sari

I think this is a really useful resource, as it makes me consider what I should be prepeared for....I already have had a Brownie who smoked...so who knows what I may need to be prepared for in the future....and innapropriate sexual activity can be a sign of abuse, as well as normal sexual feelings. It would be better to be preapred to tackle the situation of a Brownie who masturbates on PH rather than wait until it gets escalated and taken out of context, by girls and parents talking about it....never seen it yet, but sure it happens.....:)

17. chopperchick

chopperchick Veteran (100+ posts) Staff Member Moderator GuiderPlus

I think that's probably the biggest issue for most of us, Sari - we've never come across it in the guiding context, so not sure how we'd deal with it. I put this subject in pretty much the same basket as religion or alcohol-consumption - it will come up at some point, and better to have to access to factual information in advance and think it through for your specific circumstances (i.e. Rainbow leaders aren't going to need to make the same group decisions as a guide / SS leader in terms of residentials!); because without any kind of guidance or even the "party line" we rely just on our own opinions and experiences, and that wont always be enough or appropriate.

18. growlywench

growlywench Veteran (100+ posts)

It'll be interesting to see how many girls are still allowed to come on camp, following the first parents meeting this is raised.

19. woodyowl

Hi not sure which bits youd be approching parents with. In my view and after spending a fair amount of time with CHQ ensuring this document was correct. Its more about giving leaders facts and information to equip them rahter then a need to sit parents down and tell them we will ensure condoms are avabile for your daughter.

entropy as a guider in a realtionship with my assistant guider the same sex same room issue is something weve delt with first hand.
    Weve had times where weve been put in the same room, seprate rooms and dorms. TBH to us it makes little diffrence in the same way as it would if we were friends. I wouldnt put two guides in the same tent or room in a realtionship but id do so with little fuss. SS depends on situation age etc

20. sari

I don't think that condoms are a big issue for many of us, especially on usual camps, I suppose if I was a Guide Guider taking girls away to a mixed camp, I'd have to think about it !! It's great that GGUK have produced this...I know that some of us won't like thinking about this, or the thought of ddealing with it, but it will and does happen I'm sure....