• Welcome Guest to the new look forum. For more information refer to this thread

Lone BP Guide

Burghilly

Veteran (100+ posts)
Looking for some advice....

Due to a family situation my BP guide has now left our unit and moved away, including changing schools. She's got a lot going on at home and although I suggested she join the guide unit close to her new home, she doesn't want to. ( even though the leader there is happy to have her).

She is about half way through her BP and despite the disruption at home is still very keen to finish it, but I'm not quite sure how she is going to do this, especially as so many of the clauses involve organising events or evenings for the Unit.

To get to our meetings she would now have a very long journey which just wouldn't be practical for her.

Does anyone have any suggestions as to how I /she might be able to get her to complete her BP?

Epona

Veteran (100+ posts)
It sounds like she may have to change her choice of clauses. It is entirely possible to do it without organising any unit meetings. It would be encouraging if she could talk over her progress with a Leader, and at some point she is really going to need to talk to her nearby Guiders, or her DC, or county BP Advisor, to sort out the Adventure. Who would she prefer to liaise with?

ker-stee

SGP Enthusiast
GuiderPlus
Are you going on any camps etc that she is invited to? Could she run an activity on an event like that instead of on an evening at your meeting?

Bee

Veteran (100+ posts)
GuiderPlus
Are you able to put her in touch with a DC near to where she is now? Maybe the DC would support her in a local event with Guides from more than one Unit attending? That way she might be able to meet new Guides and decide which Unit to join. Also if there is a Unit which already has Guides completing the BP she would be able to work with some of those.

If she can't get to a meeting in the usual way, how about skype? I had a leader who was abroad arrange meetings and a whole camp by talking to the Guides via skype. Obviously you need someone in the meeting place who knows exactly what's going on (just in case you lose the connection). If your meeting place doesn't have wifi, try using the local library for a meeting - I'm sure they would be keen to accommodate a one-off event and it would also be a great way to "advertise" the Unit - with people seeing what happens in a meeting, so make sure you get up some posters about new volunteers on the same day.

fenris

fenris
GuiderPlus
She needs to be a member of Guiding to complete - this could be a regular unit or a Lone Unit. So first step is to make sure she is registered.

Burghilly

Veteran (100+ posts)
Thank you for all your replies. Sounds like we might just have to get a bit more creative in how we approach clauses and how she can get together with other Guides. Will get my thinking cap on