• Welcome Guest to the new look forum. For more information refer to this thread

lone young leaders and go!

kirstyr

Veteran (100+ posts)
we have a few young leaders to put through onto go! They have no interest in going to senior section but extremely keen to do YLQ. how do the girls start this process - one tried to do an enquiry as a volunteer earlier via join us but wouldn't work as they were under 16 (but the website was also crashing so don't know if it was that!)if they put to join senior section it tries to put the enquiry through to a senior section unit and transfer to us as a young leader...

any clues? DC isn't sure either....

Quack

Veteran (100+ posts)
Staff member
GuiderPlus
I believe that your DC would simply appoint them to the appropriate units just as before. I think the term 'lone young leader' is odd as you can't really be a Young Leader without a unit to lead...the DC would need the membership number and not go via Join Us..

Sent from my SGP712 using Tapatalk

browniebeth

Brownie Leader
Staff member
GuiderPlus
They ought to be able to register as a volunteer. However, if they were guides previously, they should be findable on GO by your DC and she should be able to add the YL role.

Ps there's no such thing as a Lone YL. All YLs are automatically part of the senior section, it's just one aspect of a whole host of opportunities they can choose to do (or not). They should get the same opportunities as those who "just" do rangers, or are "just" peer educators, and as their leader you might need to actively make sure they get access to everything as it is easy to forget that the YLs might want to get together, or go on the camp or trip the rangers are organising, or join the service team on a big camp etc.:)

kirstyr

Veteran (100+ posts)
when i said lone YL I meant just not attached to a senior section unit, attached (and paid for) entirely by the group they are YL at. The YL's we have don't at this moment in time don't want to be part of the senior section 'group', but we are keen to give them the opportunities of the senior section programme, events etc if they want this. (They were definite about doing YLQ!) We have invited one of the senior section leaders down to have a chat about it all so they don't miss out, and also that we as leaders know a bit more too! The old go I could add to our brownies group as young leaders, but I haven't found this option yet on the new one - but I've only been on at busy times, so speed hasn't been great.

We've been encouraged to get them the look wider books as well, which we will do.

Its a few years since they were active in guides, so not yet sure I if can locate the old go numbers, the guide group they were with closed, but I may be able to find them through the old brownie records.

When we tried to do a volunteer enquiry it came up with a parental responsibility error message - but i'm not clear if this was join us playing up yesterday, as its currently down for maintenance.

kirstyr

Veteran (100+ posts)
finally managed to send volunteer enquiries via join us, so now just awaiting dc to sort them out for us... And hopefully assign them to us as young leaders. :)