• Welcome Guest to the new look forum. For more information refer to this thread

Idea! Look Wider Ideas thread - what other people have done!

Lynz

Veteran (100+ posts)
Jenbug, yours look fine! I think the times are meant to be a guideline for the minimum amount of time to spend on each, so a short taster session during a meeting is absolutely fine, but for phase 2 and 3 it should be more of a personal challenge as well as taking longer. So, e.g. attending a ranger camp might be a phase 2 or even 3 for someone who hasn't camped before, whereas someone else who is older or has camped lots before rangers might not see it as a big challenge and choose to count it for phase 1 instead. Neither would be 'wrong'. Similarly, organising a one night sleepover for brownies might take less time than attending a week long camp as a participant, but still be more of a challenge and counted for a higher octant, if that makes sense?

FPG

Veteran (100+ posts)
As said, I think the timescales given are more of a minimum, and if you need/want to do more/longer for it to be sufficiently challenging to also meet the spirit of the rules on the different phases then that's fine too.

Jenbug

Veteran (100+ posts)
Yaha I mean some of mine are clearly longer than the given timescales for instance my international phase 3 being for 3 months. Just worried about my SS girls more so for instance they will be doing the minimum given amounts for example just over 20 hours for phase 3 for community action, because they're going to be doing a can drive/clothing drive for a local homeless shelter, bringing the cans etc to them and then working at the shelter for either a day or two. So it will probably work out at just over 20 hours but for those girls it's going to be a heck of a challenge.
Also their phase 2 is working at our local nature reserve and again that will be just over 12 hours but they are going to be in the freezing cold for 2 days doing winter preservation work as the local nature reserve has said they would prefer to have them volunteer in winter as it's when they struggle most for help.....heck of a challenge for anyone in my opinion.

I got this from the SS CD.

Phase 1: Try it
Activity should be completely new to you and give you a taster of the activity.

Phase 2: Take it further
One activity for minimum 12 hours.
Can be an activity from Phase 1 that has been developed, or something different but not necessarily new to you.
There is no time limit - it can be completed over a weekend, a month or a year.

Phase 3: Achieve a long-term challenge
It can be new or an activity already done from Phase 1 or 2.
Different ways to complete it:
> Minimum 30 hours
> Minimum 20 hours plus receiving a recognised Girlguiding or external qualification at the end.
> Minimum 20 hours plus teaching it to people with less experience doing the activity.
Like Phase 2, there is no time limit.

Hope this helped :)

Wren

Mod
Staff member
GuiderPlus
Opening this thread again. Would be fab if people who haven't posted their ideas would also share what they have done/plan to do :)

crafteguider

Regular (50+ posts)
Here's what I've got so far:

Community Action
1. a) Helped at coffee morning fundraisers
b) Helped organise and ran quiz fundraisers
c) Helped organise and run a children's Christmas party at church
2. Befriending on a hospital ward
3. Volunteering with special needs kids at a playscheme

Out of Doors
1.a) Outdoor photography (in progress)
b) Making a hedgehog feeder or something similar
c) Going camping or boating

2. Work experience on a farm (not through school)
3. ??

International
1.a) Attended Olympics
b) Having sushi for the first time
c) Finding out about world religions
2. Going to Italy with the school (first trip abroad without mum and dad, wasn't part of schoolwork)
3. ??

Personal Values
1.a) Prayer Partner for a child at church
b) Researching giving blood and organ donation, possibly doing one or both (in progress)
c) Workshop debating politics and what is morally right etc
2. National retreat with church
3. Pilgrimage to Lourdes to help with sick people

Leadership
1. a) First Response
b) Chinese New Year with Guides
c) First trip with my Guides as a Leader
2. Organising nights as a young leader etc.
3. ALQ

Independent Living
1. a) Learned a new recipe and cooked it for family
[b) Simple alterations/repairs of clothes (turned up trousers, sewed buttons and badges on[embarrassingly for the first time!:rolleyes:], altered sleeves on work tops)
c) Learning about different bank accounts and how to use them (eg. savings account, ISA, using my first credit card etc)
2. Cookbook of recipes I'm learning (still doing but past the 12 hours now)
3. Driving (not finished but been over 30 hours)

Creativity
1. a) Jewellery making
b) Sewed a felt dolly from a kit with new stitches learnt
c) Article for student magazine
2. Acrylic paintings (still doing but on 12+ hours now)
3. ??

Fit For Life
1.a) Jogging more regularly over a few months
b) Food diary for a week and thinking how to improve
c). Trying yoga for the first time
2. Mental Health First Aid qualification - not sure if I can count this here
3. ??

Blue is for ideas/not done and black is for complete. Getting there :)

Last edited:

charlielynch

Brownie and Rainbow Leader
I've actually completed everything for Look Wider though I really can't remember what I did as it was three years ago!!! Getting to do it with the new girls next week as we've been so busy we've neglected them a bit, looking forward to seeing what they've been up too :)

Abi_L

Veteran (100+ posts)
Community Action
1 – Made up an Operation Christmas Child box
1 – Attended a Stop the Violence campaign workshop
1 – Made x hats for Innocent Big Knit
2 – Help out at Young Leaders (SS) group
3 – Raising awareness about Organ Donation (talk, stall and fact sheets)

Independent Living
1 – Studied and passed Driving Theory test
1 – Researched savings accounts and opened best for me
1 – Researched health care available in the UK and found out where to go for various scenarios
2 – Start learning to drive
3 – Continued driving lessons and eventually passed!

Leadership
1 – Carried out German language taster with Berlin Senior Section trip
1 – Planned Christmas Coffee Evening with Brownies
1 – Introduced and supported Assistant Guider with Look Wider
2 – Senior Section Permit
3 - ALQ

Personal Values
1 – Completed Promise consultation
1 – Found out more and discussed Muslim women and their clothes, inc watching TV documentary
1 – Took part in an exercise to highlight what SS group (and myself) valued
2 – Daily diary for 6 months
3 - ?????

Creativity
1 –Tried wire and bead jewellery making
1 – Resurrected camp blanket, sourced and sewed on badges
1 – Created a blog to record QGA
2 – Started baking for QGA skill
3 – Continued baking for QGA inc cake decoration

Fit for life
1 – Went to Zumba class for 2 weeks
1 – Did Aim Hi resource with Brownies
1 – First week of NHS Jogging program
2 –Planned and carried out 1 week of eating vegetarian
3 – Self-imposed fitness program inc. jogging, wii and yoga.

Out of Doors
1 – Tried archery
1 – Tried clay pigeon shooting
1 – Planted and grew peppers
2 – Queen’s Guide Exploration
3 – PADI Divemaster Qualification

International
1 – Found out about the history of World Guiding
1 –Traditional Indian dance class
1 – Research dream trip to Our Cabana
2 – Leader on SS trip to Berlin
3 – TEFL

blue_dreamer

Veteran (100+ posts)
Since I have some questions I'll add my two penneth first:

Community Action
1 - Pennies for Pudsey
1 - Cleared out old clothes for charity
1 - Donated to Jeans for Genes
2 - Designed and sold fundraising badge for CHSF
3 - Volunteer reading in schools

Independent Living
1 -
1 -
1 -
2 -
3 - Passed driving test

q?: Since I am updating CVs constantly to try and get a job this should not count as 'extra curricular' right? Also one of my SS's asked if cooking and ironing counted if they didn't do it regularly. Am also stuck on more ideas for this

Leadership
1 - Helped with Guides
1 - Helped with Brownies
1 - Organised district event
2 - Senior ALQ hopefully
3 - Rainbows ALQ

Personal Values
1 - Took the Big Personality Test
1 - Wrote to MP about CHSF
1 - Joined a political party
2 - Sewed my badges on my blanket
3 - attended g2g6 :)

Creativity
1 - Designed centenary badge for caernafonshire
1 - Designed my own greetings cards
1 - felt letter keyrings
2 - sewed a needle case
3 - knitted a jumper

Fit for life
1 -
1 -
1 -
2 -
3 - Continuing progress on Wii Fit

q?: Don't know how to complete this being disabled, I don't do my own recipe books and am struggling to find food related things to do.

Out of Doors
1 - Rainbows trip
1 -
1 - Walked the Trans Pennine Trail
2 - Horse Riding lessons
3 - SS Permit hopefully

q: more ideas welcome!

International
1 - Joined the Global Opps Pool
1 -
1 -
2 -
3 -

q: ditto the above!!!

I'm really pleased this thread has revived itself since the new badges have hopefully enthused people. I really like the Octanct programme, there's a good variety of activities and I like that you try to complete them. I do think though that they should make the Chief Guide's for when you have completed all 8. I know a lot of Seniors who have already finished it within 2 years.

Abi_L

Veteran (100+ posts)
Independent Living: Can you research the best deals on telephone/internet/gas/electric? Even if you live at home your parents might be happy for you to save them money. Or learn some car maintenance?

Fit for Life can include mental fitness too. You could try brain training or Sudoku or crosswords.

International could include the commonwealth award or research into guiding in other countries or the world centres.

Hope I've been some help!

Jenbug

Veteran (100+ posts)
So finally finished mine (Or so I hope) I have handed to my division comissioner to check as I'm Senior Section leader for my unit while being a member too so don't feel right assessing my own.

International
Phase 1.1 - Researched into fair trade and how it affects different countries, and then discussed this with the Guides.

Phase 1.2 – Calculated my carbon footprint.

Phase 1.3 - Did the World Guiding badge with Guides

Phase 2 –Commonwealth Award

Phase 3 - Working in American for 3 months, travelled to different places within the area and also travelled to Canada. Learnt about the history of NH.

Independent Living
Phase 1 - Researched money saving ideas that would work best for me, put these into place and worked out the savings per month.

Phase 1.2 - Researched phone tariffs, including T&C's to see which would be the best option when coming up to upgrade.

Phase 1.3 - Rewrite CV and send out applications. I tried two different types of layout to see if either got a better response, tried to ask for feedback from companies etc

Phase 2 - Planning my trip to the USA, applying for a Visa and going to get it. New Passport, communicating with employer etc. Planning finances over the 3 month trip.

Phase 3 – Learning to drive

Fit for life
Phase 1.1 - Researching Chemicals that are contained within foods and their effects on us.

Phase 1.2 - Making a healthy Eating Plan and sticking to it for at least a month.

Phase 1.3 – Relaxation night at Senior Section.

Phase 2 - Water Activity days x 2. Canoeing, Sailing, Rafting etc. Also Canoeing regularly while in America over a 2 mile lake.

Phase 3 - Taking up a Gym membership and following a workout regime 3 times a week at least.

Creativity
Phase 1.1 - Mug painting

Phase 1.2 - Tye Dye Neckers for Senior Section and Guides

Phase 1.3 - Face painting - learning how and putting it into practice at our local carnival and other fundraising days

Phase 2 - Photography training weekends.

Phase 3 - Jewellery making, learning new skills and spending over 6 months learning to make and sell jewellery to a high standard using polymer clay and beads etc. Also making embroidered bracelets.

Community Action
Phase 1 – Helped at bag packing day and organised my Guides attending/supervised them for local campsite fundraising.

Phase 1.2 – Attend a Local Council meeting x 2

Phase 1.3 – Helped at a evening at Petty pool to fundraise, did guided tours for guests of petty pool and spoke about how it helps the organisation etc in order to get funding from local council members/majors etc for the site refurbishment.

Phase 2 : Helping at Victoria Baths for Brownies, co-ordinating Guides and Senior Section to help over the weekend.

Phase 3 : Charity fundraising event for The Railway children. Organised entire event for the girls to sleep out in Warrington Golden Square Shopping centre. Raised £300.

Personal Values
Phase 1.1 - Vision board

Phase 1.2 - Researching on Confidence issues in youth and young women.

Phase 1.3 – Learn more about Buddhism and what I should be further doing in my faith

Phase 2 - Went to the house of commons to discuss the GGUK petition with local MPs etc, also invited my local MP to attend.

Phase 3 – In4mer training and sessions/Stop the violence testing groups, ran with senior section. Fed back to WAGGGS what did and didn’t work etc.

Out of Doors
Phase 1.1 - Senses activity during the night outside on camp permit.

Phase 1.2 – Wilderness day with Guides.

Phase 1.3 - Night Hike pesfurlong hill.

Phase 2 - Gaining my Senior Section camp permit.

Phase 3 – Gaining my Adult outdoor license.

Leadership Octant.
Phase 1.1 - Run messy night for Guides

Phase 1.2 - Run campfire for Brownies/Guides at try camping weekend.

Phase 1.3 - Read details and start to plan Leadership for Senior Section

Phase 2 - Take the patrol prize guides on day outings over the year on my own.

Phase 3 - Complete ALQ for Guides.

blue_dreamer

Veteran (100+ posts)
I love the idea of tye-dye neckers!

I'm wondering if being left alone for 4 days in charge of the house and food and staying alive while my parents swan off to Italy would count for Phase 2 Independent Living? Thing is I'm not paying any bills or anything, it's merely making sure it's alright and I don't set anything on fire etc. That enough? I'm in this house all the time so it's not really like I have to go anywhere or prepare anything, it's merely staying put until they get back (although I am leaving it for about 2 hrs one day)?

growlywench

Veteran (100+ posts)
I love the idea of tye-dye neckers!

I'm wondering if being left alone for 4 days in charge of the house and food and staying alive while my parents swan off to Italy would count for Phase 2 Independent Living? Thing is I'm not paying any bills or anything, it's merely making sure it's alright and I don't set anything on fire etc. That enough? I'm in this house all the time so it's not really like I have to go anywhere or prepare anything, it's merely staying put until they get back (although I am leaving it for about 2 hrs one day)?
Hardly! An adult stopping in the house for 4 days while her parents away isn't exactly a challenge! The whole idea of LW is that it is something challenging to you! The ideas on the new paperwork involve a lot more effort than you suggest, to be honest:

Phase 2
}}Take a short course in basic car maintenance.
}}Decorate and furnish a room.
}}Attend a parenting course.
}}Look after the accounts for your unit.
}}Plan the household meals for six weeks and try new recipes.
}}Plan and budget for an overseas trip.

blue_dreamer

Veteran (100+ posts)
Hardly! An adult stopping in the house for 4 days while her parents away isn't exactly a challenge! The whole idea of LW is that it is something challenging to you! The ideas on the new paperwork involve a lot more effort than you suggest, to be honest:

Phase 2
}}Take a short course in basic car maintenance.
}}Decorate and furnish a room.
}}Attend a parenting course.
}}Look after the accounts for your unit.
}}Plan the household meals for six weeks and try new recipes.
}}Plan and budget for an overseas trip.
I thought as much!
Thanks for your list, I did decorate my room over the summer as it goes but with overprotective parents I rarely do anything entirely off my own back (yes, I love them and know they're just caring parents :rolleyes: ) so I didn't really cost it all up or fit any of it myself...

Jenbug

Veteran (100+ posts)
The new resource material is so much better at explaining things and giving ideas, which is going to be so much easier to go through with my unit.

Trinny

Veteran (100+ posts)
Presentation I did a scrapbook for the things that needed evidence, most of it was a "I did this, wanna see?"
It seems a few people are struggling with completing LW at university so I'll share my ideas, all completed on campus this or last term.

International
Phase 1.1 - Ran a stall at an international students' fair, showcasing my country's food, language, literature etc
Phase 1.2 –
Phase 1.3 -
Phase 2 – Started intermediate French lessons

Independent Living
Phase 1 - Completed a Treasurer's course
Phase 1.2 - Attended a networking careers event
Phase 1.3 - Went to a CV workshop run by the university
Phase 2 - Learnt a selection of new recipes and kept a binder of them all for the future

Fit for life
Phase 1.1 - Yoga session
Phase 1.2 - Got tested at the GUM clinic
Phase 1.3 – Attended a course on "changing the drinking culture in sports clubs"

Phase 2 - Joined a netball team

Creativity
Phase 1.1 - Prepare and Audition for a musical
Phase 1.2 - Wrote an article for the student paper
Phase 1.3 - Was a guest on the student radio

Phase 2 - Salsa lessons

Community Action
Phase 1 – Participated in a charity talent show
Phase 1.2 – Macmillan Bake sale
Phase 1.3 – Charity football tournament

Phase 2 : Did a charity version of Strictly Come Dancing

Personal Values
Phase 1.1 - Attended a talk at the chaplaincy about the Bible and science
Phase 1.2 - Was an audience member on Economics Society Question Time
Phase 1.3 – Join Buddhism Meditation Society and go to a self awareness meditation session

Phase 2 -

blue_dreamer

Veteran (100+ posts)
Has anybody used outdoor photography for OoD phase 3? I'm not learning it or anything, just the pointing and clicking stuff, however not sure how to make it last 30hrs.

I'm struggling to do this as I don't go on camps and as I have explained previously have limited mobility in the area of out of doors and fit for life, so really struggling to find stuff to do for those.

Lynz

Veteran (100+ posts)
Has anybody used outdoor photography for OoD phase 3? I'm not learning it or anything, just the pointing and clicking stuff, however not sure how to make it last 30hrs.

I'm struggling to do this as I don't go on camps and as I have explained previously have limited mobility in the area of out of doors and fit for life, so really struggling to find stuff to do for those.
I understand what you're saying about it being difficult to find less physical ideas for out of doors, but I'm honestly not sure how you'd make point and click photography sufficiently challenging to cover phase three on its own. I think to usefully fill 30 hours and challenge yourself you'd need to have a very clear idea at the start what you hoped to achieve. Perhaps you could combine it with something else? E.g. conservation? environmental art?

For conservation, you could research the kind of wildlife in your area and what people can do to help them throughout the winter and then e.g. set up a feeding station and visit local wildlife/ conservation areas and use your photography to record what you see and find. Think about what you will do with your findings - could you create a poster or run a session to promote how we can help the environment in our own areas?

For environmental art, you could find out about famous artists who use the out of doors in their work (e.g. Andy Goldsworthy), and combine photography with trying to make your own. Find out about how we can do these things without disrupting the environment. Could you work with some local brownies or guides to create something at a local guiding site or meeting place?

On a different note, is there something outdoor-related to do with food that would interest you? Either planting & growing things from scratch to use in recipes or an outdoor cooking project of some kind?