1. Welcome Guest to the new look forum. For more information refer to this thread
    Dismiss Notice

Question? Making a Gift Aid claim

Discussion in 'Finances and Fundraising' started by Heathera, Sep 22, 2016.

1. Heathera

Heathera Regular (50+ posts)

Hi,

I think I'm being totally daft. Our unit is registered for gift aid... I have the signed gift aid forms for parents... But how do I actually make a claim to HMRC to get it?

The leader in charge before me did show me but I'm sure it was part of the accounts or something and it didn't seem to be in this year's account forms.

So confused!

2. Millie

Millie Beginner (10+ posts)

There is now online process. Sign in - Government Gateway you need a registration number and a password - if not you may need to register. Hope this helps

Heathera likes this.
  3. bess342

bess342 Veteran (100+ posts) GuiderPlus

if you phone government gateway as say you want to claim gift aid for a charity they will talk you through process and direct you to correct form. You then fill in form with correct amount each adult has donated for year/period with address and postcode details. Then send it electronically off with details of you accounts. Takes a little while but well worth it.

Heathera likes this.
  4. Heathera

Heathera Regular (50+ posts)

Thanks guys - I'll let you know how I get on!

5. Dionysia

Dionysia Veteran (100+ posts)

Can I just register online then??

I was doing it last year and had forms printed off from the Girl Guiding website and think you have to send them off and they send something back to you - never got round to sending off.

Has the procedure changed?

6. NatalieL

NatalieL Beginner (10+ posts)

Dionysia,

I think Bess 342 is talking about how you claim once you're registered. I'm in the middle of getting our unit registered, and I've done what you've described - printed out a Girlguiding form from the website which you then fill in (unit team's names, addresses, DOBs and NI numbers), and email it in or post it off to Altrincham (or in my case drop it in by hand, since I work in Altrincham!).

They sign it and return it to you along with a HMRC form that they have mostly completed for you. You finish off the HMRC form (signatures and bank details) and send both it and the signed Girlguiding one to HMRC with your latest units accounts and bank statement.

I'm at the "finishing off the HMRC form" stage. Can anyone who has registered recently advise how much of the accounts spreadsheet they sent to HMRC? I'm wondering whether I need the front and banking pages?

7. Dionysia

Dionysia Veteran (100+ posts)

Thank you was getting confused!

Not going to do it yet, as now taken over a unit that doesn't have it, so in the process of sending the forms to the parents to update.