• Welcome Guest to the new look forum. For more information refer to this thread

Men in guiding

Asked my DC but she wasn't quite sure, what role can men play in guiding? my boyfriend is quite interested in joining and would like to help but im not sure how this stands? and also with him being my boyfriend would that cause problems (i am leader)

Ceebeeby

Brownie & Guide Leader
CRB'd and away you go .... he can't be a member, but can be a UH.

As long as you're happy for him to help and it won't cause issues, anyone can be a helper.

Just take care on any of the usual type stuff, warranted leader in same room etc.

Rowan

Rainbow AG/Guide AG/Generally helpful
well he's still a member because you can wear member's wear and the special members badge and the raspberry badge tab... but not take promise...

woodyowl

Forum Mod, Guide GIC, Rainbow GIC,
Staff member
GuiderPlus
Asked my DC but she wasn't quite sure, what role can men play in guiding? my boyfriend is quite interested in joining and would like to help but im not sure how this stands? and also with him being my boyfriend would that cause problems (i am leader)

Men can play many roles in guiding.

They can be occasional unit helpers, regular unit helpers, in charge of accounts, help at events, trips and residentials.

They can not make the promise or wear leader wear, they can however wear adult member wear. They can wear the members badge and raspeberry badge tab.

As for problems with him being your boyfriend, I have a simualar situation as I am guider in charge with my girlfriend being a unit helper in my unit. (Rowan)
It works really well for us, you of course can not be coupley around the girls, as much as no one wants to think about it you may also have to consider what effects it would have on the unit if you did split (tho this maybe the case with any assistant and a breakdown of friendship etc)

Personally Id say that if he wants to get involved do so, its brilliant to get men into guiding. I work along side a male unit helper and it works really well the girls love him to bits, and for a few girls that the only postive male model they have

jim

GuiderPlus
men can do all the jobs except being a leader I have done most things in last 32 yrs
run evenings done badges and GFIs gift aid taken march past at rememberance parade
assisted with trips and outings helped with program it depends on what they want to do and what they are capable of as with a female unit helper and a listening ear for the girls
some would rather talk to me than their parent/parents especialy girls from single parent families

sliceofrice

Veteran (100+ posts)
sorry

i would love to see a man wearing a raspberry tab

(sorry i think it is dead funny)
Men do wear raspberry badge tabs and I think you're being very insensitive toward our valued male members.

Males make great members as there are some things which we, as women can't physically do. They are also great role models for those girls who may a chance to see them in a positive light.
They can UH's and most other roles except from being a Guider.

they call me tulip

Veteran (100+ posts)
Im a dc and in my district we have a grandad who is a unit helper- all crb ect done. The Brownie unit he is at could'nt run without him, he has dj equipment so comes in handy at district events.
Our Guide leaders OH is an occassional helper he ferries stuff to camp and helps on Sundays at camp,which is fab as Sunday is always busy striking camp he makes the lunch and leaders brews.

My OH just ferries me and loads of stuff about.

I would say men in guiding are a real asset. Just make sure you follow rules re crb and always having a female present if he is going to be arund girls. Best of luck to him. Hope he enjoys his role within Guiding.

hortibabe

Veteran (100+ posts)
Does the 65 year rule apply to the Grandad as well as a Grandma helping then? That's assuming he's that age - he's probably only about 40 :)
Although a man can help he doesn't need to become a member. My OH helps me with depot and Scout post and did the film at the launch party but he doesn't want to become a member. He also doesn't need to have a crb unless he is directly involved with the girls - mine isn't so we haven't 'done' him!

axlef2005

Regular (50+ posts)
My husband is one of my Unit Helpers and the girls love him , I am at a Unit where there are not a lot of male role models in the girls families so this is an added bonus for them. He is an ex Royal Marine so he came and did Go For It I will survive with them too - he isn't too keen on the Raspberry Badge Tab but he does as he is told :)

woodyowl

Staff member
GuiderPlus
Does the 65 year rule apply to the Grandad as well as a Grandma helping then? That's assuming he's that age - he's probably only about 40 :)
QUOTE]

Id guess it would still apply tho he could still be a occasional unit helper

Barmy Barny

Brownie & Guide Guider
It's taken a while, but my OH will now help ferry camp equipment, He was, I think, scared for life when he offerred to help with a Guide car wash event and got soaked!

But I've had Dad's help at Brownies several times, and its great.

fenris

fenris
GuiderPlus
My brother's a unit helper with a Guide unit, and has been on trips etc. Males can be Advisers, unit helpers, occasional helpers, badge testers, activity instructors, etc.

yorkie67

Div CA, GIC G, GIC R
GuiderPlus
My husband is our UH and often helps at camp when necessary and we do have a few men whose wives are leaders and our district is growing!

Caitsmum04

Mum-Guider-Teacher-general dogsbody!
My husband is one of my Unit Helpers and the girls love him , I am at a Unit where there are not a lot of male role models in the girls families so this is an added bonus for them. He is an ex Royal Marine so he came and did Go For It I will survive with them too - he isn't too keen on the Raspberry Badge Tab but he does as he is told :)

Oh this gave me a well needed giggle! A RM wearing a badge tab (and raspberry to boot!) .... and doing as he's told! Lol!

I was taught to march by a former RM Sarnt Major many (many!) years ago. Lovely lovely bloke, but the thought of him doing as he was told...... too funny by half!

AM

jim

GuiderPlus
yes unit helpers do have to officialy finish at 65 also I do wear a r******y badge tab if I misplace my old yellow one but still prefer the yellow the R*******y dosnt go with my complexion

Lette

Guide Guider & Senior Section Member
There is a lovely photo of one of the males from this forum (Bet you can guess who!) in the raspberry centenary polo shirt and pink bunny ears at out county launch.
He looked fab!

And tbh, I know it isn't everyone's style but now wearing a pink shirt or tie is fashionable and perfectly acceptable - so there's not allot funny about a raspberry badge tab!

woodyowl

Staff member
GuiderPlus
if pink isnt a lads colour, then maybe us girls should have it and let the lads have the blue?

couldnt see many agreeing to that :p

falkland1

NellieB
GuiderPlus
My other half is also my unit helper and a great help when we really need him, The girls love him although he wouldnt be keen on the raspberry tab either....I cant even get him to wear a pink shirt. Navy is fine.