• Welcome Guest to the new look forum. For more information refer to this thread

Men in guiding

roving_guider

Veteran (100+ posts)
All the hubbies for our unit are CRB'd and i'm in the process of getting my other other done (i didn't introduce him to Guiding straight away with risk of frightening him off and also because i didn't want my girls (Guides) to get used to him if things didn't work out.

Our last few camps have only been possible because of hubbies, either because of numbers with small children or just lack of leaders. The hubbie who came to the last camp (becuase without him we wouldn't have been able to go) said he enjoyed it more than he ever thought he would and if we wanted him to he'd change his nights working so he could come to regular meetings.

I'm completely for our OHs being involved and getting an insight into our activities but personally don't think meetings would be the same with a regular male UH, how do we stand on being a girl only space?

Crafty Owl

Currently doing my ALQ
I have Papa Owl as an occasional unit helper, he comes to special events and does the photos, he was also cook at camp. He was a scout leader for many years so after retiring from that he is happy to come along once in a while. The girls love him and are very well behaved for him, he has quite a presence, he's happiest when leading a sing song.

I also have Fluffy Owl our rogue scout (my son), he helps on trips and special occasions too and was kitchen assistant on pack holiday, again the girls love him and he helps me a lot with my planning coming up with mad ideas they will love. We had a Brownie with learning difficulties and he was one of the few people that could calm her and get her involved.

jim

GuiderPlus
why does O/H need a crb to be santa as he isnt being left alone with the girls and is being supervised ??? He doesnt need crb it is a 1 off activity
Unless there is an ulteria motive ie you intend to rope him in as a unit helper.

jolito

General dogsbody
I wont get into the 'Santa saga' from our District ...let's just say Santa won't be asking what kids want for Christmas again.

CRB anyone who is going to be having 'physical contact' with the girls - supervised or not.

Last edited:

woodyowl

Forum Mod, Guide GIC, Rainbow GIC,
Staff member
GuiderPlus
I dont see the need to crb santa, ensure that a guider is always with him, and he doesnt have physical contact with the girls, tbh he shouldnt be having physical contact if hes crbed or not in the same was as we shouldnt

I have only just picked this thread up. We have two male unit helpers at Guiders CRB etc and lots of our activities camps etc would not be possible without them. Just think safe from harm at all times, unrelated leader with them at all times when with the girls and basic common sense and you can't go far wrong. The only thing the guys object to is a raspberry pink badge tab and the fact we wont let them escape we have hidden the door!!

jim

GuiderPlus
guiding is good at hideing the door
I hate the R*******y tab which I will wear for official things like remembrance day but I still Have my original yellow one that I wear the rest of the time

woodyowl

Forum Mod, Guide GIC, Rainbow GIC,
Staff member
GuiderPlus
But then don't kids traditionally sit on Santa's knee? That is physical contact.
yes traditionally but youll find that stores etc that have santa have stopped this due to concerns. After all you could say tradtionally kids are kissed goodnight, I know my old GIC would do this on pack holiday but theres no way that today that is acceptable.

fenris

fenris
GuiderPlus
For several years now, grottos have been arranged so the child will sit beside Santa, on a separate bench. Quite apart from saving Santa from accusations, it also spares Santa the physical strain of the weight of umpteen children an hour, especially nowadays when even young children can be rather heavy!

Dizzybint

Super Moderator
Staff member
GuiderPlus
I have Raaow listed as my UH however he just stays until leaders turn up if they are late and he helps transport stuff! A lot bless him! x He is fully CRB'd at his own request and he is registered on the census as a UH

my OH is a unit helper, he is just there if i need a hand or someone to drive a minibus. he is fully CRB'd as well, which is good as i will need all his help this term as my other AG left at christmas

Crafty Owl

Currently doing my ALQ
I have Papa Owl who helps out at big events and pack holiday (but doesn't stay over), he is great at cooking for the masses. Is is registered as a Unit Helper
I also have Fluffy Owl my son, who also helps out occasionally, he is a scout so I always get him to wear his neckie to show he is their in an official capacity and isn't just hanging out.

Our senior section unit has 3 registered male UHs. One of them comes to the weekly meetings and the other 2 come on camp. They sleep at the oppostie end of the field etc but we do quite a few camps with scouts and that's where they originate from! They're all CRB'd and appart from a few ungrateful leaders everyone is fine with it!

laughingowl

Veteran (100+ posts)
We have a few male helpers! My OH is one of them. He is used for things like map workor anything like that that we do. Any walks or trails and things he loves leading the way!