• Welcome Guest to the new look forum. For more information refer to this thread

Mum wants to help out at my Brownie unit

princessabz

Rainbow Assistant Guider
my team is made up of - my mum, my sister and my gf so yes its fine to have your family in the same team. I also run a business just me and mum so i have a good amount of experiance of working with family members.

Its worked really well here but Id recomend some basic rules between you
- When your in guiding mode and working with the girls or team meetings you are fellow guiders not mother daughter leave any disagreements you had that morning at the door.
- If shes got a guiding name then try to use it itll help the above
- Try to ensure that your talking about something other then guiding 24/7 at home trust me it can soon take over every family conversation.
Some very good points there :)

I'm YL with my mum is AG (we will both be AG's soon :) ). Both og us get on really well with GiC though :)

- I find that if we've had a falling out it is a case of as soon as we get to the hall its a been left at home
- I try to call her by her first name (names we go by in unit), I thought that I occasionally slipped up but turned out majority of the girls didn't even know we were related until we both took a pic of our pets!
- It can become the main topic of conversation, my poor dad goes mad! So try and keep it 'contained' :D

But, it does work well because we already know what the other will/won't want to do etc

cbbies

Veteran (100+ posts)
You must have a better working relationship with your mums than I do, I moved Cub packs because we kept arguing while we were there!

rainbowrobin

Veteran (100+ posts)
I ran brownies with my sister for years and it worked really well. The only problem I've found is that if you have non-family helpers also you have to make a really big effort to include them in your planning as it's so easy to discuss plans without them.