• Welcome Guest to the new look forum. For more information refer to this thread

Urgent! New bank account woes

Oltonsnowy

Beginner (10+ posts)
Please can anyone advise me how I can set up a new bank account?!
I have been trying for last 6 months to set up an account for our new Rainbow group. I initially applied for Lloyds bank accounts that's who we bank with for Brownies. They lost the form. I then tried HSBC, they sent me huge form and wanted a Business Plan, Articles of association etc etc. I went back to Lloyds and submitted new form (this was over 6 weeks ago) - haven't heard anything.
I have rung Santander as I bank with them, so thought maybe it would be quicker (ha ha)- they wanted a constitution with Rules and regulations run by a committee. I tried to explain we weren't set up like that but was advised that they couldn't offer account without these.
Has anyone any recent experience of setting up a new bank account and can recommend a bank who might be willing to let us have an account? I know there is a Certifcate of Charitable status which might help but not sure who fills this out?
Desparate now as can't pay subscription without a cheque so now being hounded by Comissioners....
Many thanks for advice

JJJJ1980

Brownie Leader x 3
Firstly explain to your commissioner and they should be able to pay out of their funds with you paying them back. I opened a new account with lloyds last year and it was a nightmare, they ask for a lot of stuff that is not possible and it is all done through a call centre so is really hard. I eventually got somewhere by asking to be put through to complaints, they have targets they have to stick to so will do everything they can to get it sorted.

Ezrekia

Veteran (100+ posts)
GuiderPlus
I've opened a couple of bank accounts with Natwest recently, and found it not too difficult. Lots of paperwork, but all pretty standard stuff. Coordinating the leaders to all get their relevant sections signed was the hardest bit! I have an account with nthem so the ID checks weren't necessary, but otherwise I don't think it was much different to being unknown to them.

The Certificate of Charitable Status is on the GG website - Google "Girlguiding Certificate of Charitable Status" and it should pull it up for you. You'll have to log in to access it though. You don't need to fill it in; just attach and away you go.

We don't have a constitution but we do have a Royal Charter - find it through Google again, and that does just as well.

And don't be afraid to talk to your commissioner about the problems you're having. It might be she knows of someone locally who can help you out. In the meantime, if there's anything more I can do give me a shout. Good luck!

KelliBelli

Veteran (100+ posts)
My Rainbow and Bronwnie accounts are with Natwest. I phoned them and they filled in most of the paperwork over the phone. This was then posted to me so that I could get the signatories to sign. It was pretty quick and painless.

catdrew

Brownie Guider
GuiderPlus
yes we bank with NatWest which is good cos I can have online banking. was pretty easy to set up with constitution and once I had our other guiders fill in details.

blue_dreamer

Veteran (100+ posts)
Sorry to gate-crash,

I'm trying to open an account with the co-op (for access and other reasons), and they require all sorts of charters, what sort of activities we do etc. Do we really must print off all 20 pages of the charter for them?

You'd think given the large well-known organisation that we are they'd have an 'easier' way of doing it for us. When I rang the co-op it was like they'd never heard of Girlguiding or had other people want accounts with them!

Also, I hear nowadays we require 3 signatures on the cheque?! :O

PPS. Is our organisation name "Girlguiding" or still "The Guide Association" in terms of bank accounts?

fenris

fenris
GuiderPlus
Sorry to gate-crash,

I'm trying to open an account with the co-op (for access and other reasons), and they require all sorts of charters, what sort of activities we do etc. Do we really must print off all 20 pages of the charter for them?

You'd think given the large well-known organisation that we are they'd have an 'easier' way of doing it for us. When I rang the co-op it was like they'd never heard of Girlguiding or had other people want accounts with them!

Also, I hear nowadays we require 3 signatures on the cheque?! :O

PPS. Is our organisation name "Girlguiding" or still "The Guide Association" in terms of bank accounts?
No need for three signatories on a cheque, just two is fine. However it can be helpful for the account signatories to be 'any two from' three or four people, so that if one signatory out of circulation for a while, there are others who can sign cheques for you, to keep things moving.