• Welcome Guest to the new look forum. For more information refer to this thread

New Brownie programme

Trinny

Veteran (100+ posts)
Thought it might be good to start a thread about the new programme and how we are implementing it in our own units, so please share thoughts and ideas!

Having received my taster pack today, I've decided to use them next term but within the current YCW framework. I've used washi tape to denote if each activity is YCW (I can't work out how to upload a picture, but might be able to PM you if have no idea what I'm talking about!).

Currently we split into adventure groups (pink/yellow/blue) once or twice a term, and within the groups they pick an activity from their section of the Adventures book. So I think that this term I'll let the groups choose from these activities instead, so hopefully the transition will be fairly smooth!

What are your plans for using the new activities?

Batty Owl

Veteran (100+ posts)
Our girls love to do a 'Brownies take over Brownies' evening where they plan and run the meeting, but tend to want to do the same sort of activities each time. I think I may offer at least some of the cards as suggestions next time

MummyOwl

Brownie Leader
I have also got my pack. I looks sensibly thought out and is beautifully presented.
My only criticism is that the activities are "same old"... newspaper fashion, trefoil trivia, lighting a match, sock puppets, 'pass the ball' story-telling, Brownie Traditions/history.... er, nothing new there!
However, I LOVE hammering nails into an apple/potato (genius), and 'First Aid in the field' is a slightly different approach, which I like a lot. Boxing might be fun!
Did we all get the same cards?
So, I'm not sure if they're after feedback on presentation (which is lovely and fresh) or content (which, in my opinion, is uncreative - apart from the three above)...
I KNOW someone is going to say that I should have been part of the initial consultation (I was to start with but gave up because of all the admin!)

Trinny

Veteran (100+ posts)
Our girls love to do a 'Brownies take over Brownies' evening where they plan and run the meeting, but tend to want to do the same sort of activities each time. I think I may offer at least some of the cards as suggestions next time
We do this once a term and let them choose from the Adventures book. if we've done a lot of one section recently, we encourage the girls to do something different - maybe picking a World activity instead of Community or something similar.

JJJJ1980

Brownie Leader x 3
We already had Brownie Traditions badge planned for next term so the time travel and match lighting activities will go into that. The dog game might get incorporated into the Friends to Animal badge with my other group with a few extra instructions. My hope is that when we get the full set of resources I can split it into the six areas and give them to my six sixes to choose a few activities for the following term. Depending on what they choose they may have some responsibility for running it.
I will share the packs with my other leaders and talk to the girls about it when we return.

kingfisherblue

Veteran (100+ posts)
I'm already thinking of storage - possibly an arch binder file with dividers, one divider for each theme. I'm also thinking ahead to recording the attainment of badges, but no time to devise anything yet, as I have a pack holiday to run (and it's my first one!)

browniebeth

Brownie Leader
Staff member
GuiderPlus
I'm already thinking of storage - possibly an arch binder file with dividers, one divider for each theme. I'm also thinking ahead to recording the attainment of badges, but no time to devise anything yet, as I have a pack holiday to run (and it's my first one!)
I'm going to wait and see what GG are going to do for us...not reinventing the wheel if they're going to issue something, or that's not how it's to work :)

kingfisherblue

Veteran (100+ posts)
I'm not sure that there will be a record sheet of some sort - there hasn't been so far. However, it's a good point and I won't be doing anything for ages yet, so there is time for CHQ to inform us.

Quack

Veteran (100+ posts)
Staff member
GuiderPlus
I think we need to remember that it's a taster...a lot of activities have been tested and roughly 60% have been scrapped due to the feedback, so if the ideas are 'old hat' it maybe because they are the tried and tested ones...we can all suggest activities that work for us and if adopted we get credited on the card.
The new programme isn't all about new ideas, it will be repackaging old and tried and tested ones too. One of the concepts is to try and make meeting ideas more accessible, so we don't have to spend lots of time researching, gathering materials or scouring the internet for ideas. Leaders, new and experienced, should have the resources to bring a good balanced programme to their unit with the minimum of preparation time and resources that are accessible.

How often on here do we bemoan the units where the programme hasn't changed in 20 years, or trying to compete with super-guider who spends weeks creating the best programme and demanding everyone keeps up, or Mrs Baker-Ross where every week it is another craft...
Hopefully these packs, and how they evolve will give us all a more level playing field.

Please try the activities and work out how they work with your unit, pass the feedback on to CHQ, good and could be better, it's the only way things will change.

maz

Veteran (100+ posts)
Just back from hols and opened my pack.
Why do we have to have brownies hammer into fruit.....this is waste. Why not soft wood?
Overall the pack is fab looking and will give the girls more ideas to pick activities.....look forward to next year when full sets available.

fenris

fenris
GuiderPlus
Just back from hols and opened my pack.
Why do we have to have brownies hammer into fruit.....this is waste. Why not soft wood?
Overall the pack is fab looking and will give the girls more ideas to pick activities.....look forward to next year when full sets available.
Possibly that for some units, oddments of suitable wood would work out quite expensive if they were bought rather than acquired. Whereas you could hammer in several nails per own/brand apple.

MummyOwl

Brownie Leader
Possibly that for some units, oddments of suitable wood would work out quite expensive if they were bought rather than acquired. Whereas you could hammer in several nails per own/brand apple.
A bag of potatoes would be.... ha ha... cheap as chips!!! (that actually didn't start out as a pun!)

I still haven't gotten my pack and I'm trying to figure out who I'm supposed to contact about that. I'll be leaving the country for a few weeks (and I'm the main contact) so if it hasn't been sent I'd like to get it sent to one of the other leaders and if we've been missed I want someone to know so we can get one! Who am I supposed to contact?

Quack

Veteran (100+ posts)
Staff member
GuiderPlus
I'd start with membership services at CHQ.
Just check you haven't received a card from the Post Office have you? The package is slightly oversized so it may be a collection if your postbox is a slimline variety...

badgemad4

Veteran (100+ posts)
How long have you been the main contact/ have you taken over from anyone else in the time since January? I saw of a few instances of old LiCs getting sent packs instead, even if they haven't been with a unit for months.

Foxi

Guide Guider
I don't do Brownies, but do Guides I rang CHQ today & had to leave a message as I still haven't received my pack either...I haven't moved, am the main contact & have been for many years so await their reply.

Thanks everyone! I've been the main contact since about November I believe. I'm still a relatively new leader (started Feb 2016), our Brown Owl left and I was the only one willing to keep things running after a few bumps. I was gone from the flat for awhile but didn't receive a card - but that's happened before with an Amazon package which I then knew to ask about. I for the life of me cannot figure out what CHQ stands for (is my newb showing?). I tried contacting Scottish HQ yesterday but they were out of the office so I'll try again today.

Quack

Veteran (100+ posts)
Staff member
GuiderPlus
Sorry - my mistake for using jargon.... CHQ refers to Central HeadQuarters which is our London head office, nowadays it is referred to as HQ ( CHQ shows my age)... Scottish HQ may be able to help but if not try the London office and ask for membership services.