• Welcome Guest to the new look forum. For more information refer to this thread

New Brownie programme

badgemad4

Veteran (100+ posts)
Although it's slightly off topic, I always thought/ was told CHQ was commonwealth HQ. Has it gone through several name changes, or is it in these parts they have hung onto a really old name? XD

ker-stee

SGP Enthusiast
GuiderPlus
Although it's slightly off topic, I always thought/ was told CHQ was commonwealth HQ. Has it gone through several name changes, or is it in these parts they have hung onto a really old name? XD
I thought it was Commonwealth too.

From a bit of googling, the 'find us' on the trading website says 'Girlguiding Headquarters' and Trefoil Guild website says 'Commonwealth Headquarters'

fenris

fenris
GuiderPlus
I think it was quietly dropped around the same time that they dropped "UK" from GGUK...
Some decades back it changed from Imperial to Commonwealth Headquarters - but at that time it was indeed the Headquarters for most of the Commonwealth Countries. Now almost all are independent and have their own Headquarters, it seems logical to alter.

kingfisherblue

Veteran (100+ posts)
Waltham, I think that the folder for the new programme sheets is going to be the same wallet style folder that the taster cards came in. I've seen them mentioned on the latest Guiding email.

Thinking long term though, they won't be practical for me, as I will want all of the cards from each theme filed together, and easy to flick through. There isn't anything on the folders to identify which section the cards are from - and I have Rainbows, Brownies and Guides - nor is there anywhere to note this. They only hold a small amount too.

I think I'll probably end up with lever arch files and each card in a plastic pocket. That way, I can easily separate themes and there will always be space for more cards as they are published, as I can always buy more files. It will also be easy to look through the cards, and they will last longer if in pockets.

Kingfisherblue, I have not seen the folders so thought that they would be something like a lever arch file. If you are correct then they will not be of much use if you run more than one section. Also they not be practicable if you want to separate the themes, as I think most of us will. I have ordered two of the folders from a neighbouring Guiding depot, so will see what they are like once received.

kingfisherblue

Veteran (100+ posts)
Have you seen the taster packs yet Waltham? They're in the folders. If you've not seen them, yet, they're like wallet files - the type that have a popper to fasten them (but these don't have a popper, just a flap to slide through a slot).

Kingfisherblue - I have the taster pack, and was hoping that the folders would be more substantial than the one supplied with the sheets. So I think that your idea of a lever arch file would be better, as if you wanted to separate the sheets into themes, depending on how many themes are being produced this could take a lot of these folders.

kingfisherblue

Veteran (100+ posts)
Waltham, the six core themes are Know Myself, Be Well, Express Myself, Take Action, have Adventures and Skills For My Future. They don't exactly roll off the tongue - I had to look them up because I couldn't remember all of them. (If anyone has any ideas, let me know :)).

Initially I'll probably have three files, one for each section, and use file dividers. As more cards are added, more files will be needed, but at least they will be easier to manage than lots of folders. I can't see any other way to keep everything together neatly, but I'm open to ideas. I just hope that one day I don't suddenly realise that I have six lever arch files for each section (one for each theme), and that's why there's no more space for my own stuff! :p

kingfisherblue

Veteran (100+ posts)
Thank you Kochanski - that's so much easier!

My idea was to have everything begin the same - Be Well, Be Skilled, Be Adventurous, Be Myself, Be Expressive - but Be Active doesn't mean the same as Take Action. Maybe that's why it wasn't considered.

Stricnine

Beginner (10+ posts)
We did the match lighting along with nails and screws into potatoes (and wood for the older Brownies) .. went well.. the girls really enjoyed the match striking and it was interesting watching those that were a bit scared having a go... I'd been a bit skeptical, but got good feedback from the girls when I asked them afterwards what they thought!
Potatoes were a bit too easy .. but it gave them a good idea - we only got one bashed thumb! :)