• Welcome Guest to the new look forum. For more information refer to this thread

New FAQs about the new Guide section uniform

Hilary

Guide Guider and District Commissioner
GuiderPlus
Don't know if anyone else has noticed but the FAQs on the Girlguidingshop website have been updated to include:
What will the new uniform be like?
Our uniform ranges are developed in consultation with girls and volunteers and are designed to meet
the needs of active girls and young women. Guides were consulted throughout the Guide uniform
design process. Overwhelmingly the girls said they wanted a range of clothing to choose from that
was a mix of comfortable, easy to move about in and not too ‘boyish’. Not an easy task! The
designers have created a range of durable clothes with design details that reflect the Guides’
feedback without compromising on comfort or flexibility of wear.

What about quality?
As with all Girlguiding clothing other products and packaging, the new Guide uniform has been
produced to fully comply with all UK and EU regulations, directives, decisions and standards for
quality and safety. Girlguiding follows strict procedures throughout the development of new clothing
items. As such, all fabrics for the new Guide uniform were selected to ensure they wash and wear
well and give members good value for money. Full care instructions are included on all Girlguiding
garment labels.

Will the new uniform have a ‘warm’ option?
Options cover both cool and warm weather as this was highlighted during the consultation.

Why is the new Guide clothing range being referred to as uniform?
We are keen to help girls and adults understand more easily what they should be wearing for
different guiding occasions. To help with this, all section wear will now be referred to as uniform (eg
Rainbow wear to Rainbow uniform, Brownie wear to Brownie uniform, adult wear to adult uniform
etc). We hope for one that this will help to distinguish official Girlguiding uniform from casual guiding
wear, such as event clothing (BIG GIG hoodies, Big Brownie Birthday T-shirts etc) and personalised
guiding clothing. Usage guidelines for members and adults for the entire Girlguiding uniform range
are currently being developed by Girlguiding's Chief Commissioners. Look out for more information on
uniform guidance in our member communications.

Quack

Veteran (100+ posts)
Staff member
GuiderPlus
Usage guidelines for members and adults for the entire Girlguiding uniform range
are currently being developed by Girlguiding's Chief Commissioners. Look out for more information on
uniform guidance in our member communications.
Ooh interesting, I can see lots of discussion threads about this one coming up...

KatieW

Guide Guider, Nottingham
Staff member
GuiderPlus
I've made this a sticky for now so all can see it, I will leave the thread open for discussion.

RMT

Guide Leader
GuiderPlus
Interesting that they say range again, feedback I get from my girls is they want 1 'uniform' not lots of different when they go to county events they want to look like a group,

It does sound like they have taken on comments about shrinking looking forward now to see what they bring out, just really hope there is no pink anywhere or I may have some upset girls, my guides love the current uniform as not 'boyish' at all.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hilary

GuiderPlus
Sure I'm not the only one who has a significant minority of tomboys who like "boyish" and wouldn't be seen dead in leggings and a fitted Tshirt, so maybe a range is good.

FlyingSwallow

Beginner (10+ posts)
The guide blanket is already in the new colours - it is a lighter blue with a lilac trim - not boyish but no sign of pink. I'm only guessing but I think this could be a hint at the new uniform.

Trinny

Veteran (100+ posts)
Sure I'm not the only one who has a significant minority of tomboys who like "boyish" and wouldn't be seen dead in leggings and a fitted Tshirt, so maybe a range is good.
I have the opposite, a unit of 20 young ladies who wouldn't be seen dead in ugly cargo trousers and desperately want a cardigan instead of a boyish plain hoodie! Whatever suits your girls!

fenris

fenris
GuiderPlus
Whatever the new options are to be, there will be those who love them, and those who hate them. The best we can hope for is that the majority are okay about them!

Hi all, first post, agreed about shrinkage of old uniform and girls want single uniform to be a group. I have wondered who these girls who were used in the consultation are and where from, we have never heard of anyone being involved in these consultations?

John

Eastbourne

Hilary

GuiderPlus
Oh good!

Not that I do Guides, but I wonder if we can get them to put it on the inside collar of the adult shirts instead of the raspberry.
I think the suggestion was that lilac would replace red as the Guide section trim.

Last edited:

TawnyJen

Veteran (100+ posts)
I think the suggest was that lilac would replace red as the Guide section trim.
I think this may be true, if you look at more recent guide gifts such as the drawstring bag they seem to use a purple accent a lot, but that is just speculation. If you look from another angle the guide logo on the print centre and publications uses a red accent and I can't see that being changed just because the uniform is, so it may be that the red accent for guides is here to stay?

Hilzo42

Guide Leader (GiC) & Forum Mod!
Staff member
GuiderPlus
I think this may be true, if you look at more recent guide gifts such as the drawstring bag they seem to use a purple accent a lot, but that is just speculation. If you look from another angle the guide logo on the print centre and publications uses a red accent and I can't see that being changed just because the uniform is, so it may be that the red accent for guides is here to stay?
Very true - but if I remember right, violet/lilac is one of the Guide section secondary colours (in the branding, along with lime green) so we already have it featured, albeit in a minor fashion....

Either way though I can't wait to see it! I know a number of my Guides love the look of the shirt of the pre-1990's uniforms, perhaps we'll see something more formal in the mix. I think the idea of a lighter navy with lilac trim sounds quite nice... (it makes me think of the Irish Girl Guide leader uniform colour combination).

The Ally Campe-whatsit 'Guide Wear' really came in when Guiding and the Guide section especially didn't seem very confident about itself, so mostly I'd just like it to more obviously look like they're Guides in it than a bunch of girls in assorted mismatched navy/dull blue/stripy tops. A trefoil on it for instance! The one thing the Jeff Banks uniform proved was as long as the tops are all the same shade you can look like a coherant group even wearing different ones, so I hope even with a range offered they'll go back to that.
I'd love it if we wearing neckerchief's became required again (which can make anything look uniform and Guiding and tie a mix of tops together), but I know opinion will be divided on that one.

But at long last! it's 'UNIFORM' again!!! :D