• Welcome Guest to the new look forum. For more information refer to this thread

New guiding resource - ON YOUR MARKS ACTIVITY PACK

Squirrel-Nutkin

The Wicked Witch of the West (15,000+ posts)
just heard, from 1 Dec 2011 there will be a new activity pack available based on the 2012 olympics and Paralympic Games

apparently guiding uk will be providing:
• a toolkit to help you plan your own event or get involved with those going on locally (available Jan 2012)
• an activity pack called On Your Marks to provide a balanced programme of activities with three badges to gain (available 1 Dec 2011)
• a chance for members to share their thoughts and experiences about the values and culture of the Games, via social media, with Girl Guides and Girl Scouts from all over the world (beginning Feb 2012).

sounds good!

look forward to reading about what they need to do for each of the 3 badges :)

Rosie!

New guider- First night 11th March 2009!
oooh how exciting! That sounds like it's going to be fun, I can't wait to plan next term already!!

Squirrel-Nutkin

it didn't say in my newsletter! sorry - also found it on gguk site (it doesn't say there either)

https://www.girlguiding.org.uk/members_area__go/whats_happening/olympic_and_paralympic_games.aspx

just says:

All sections will be able to enjoy a specially-produced activity pack and gain up to three badges on sport, culture and Olympic and Paralympic values. The resource will be available in December 2011.

it does say the toolkit will be downloadable though

Events toolkit
We’ll be encouraging everyone in guiding across the UK to celebrate the sport, culture and values of the 2012 Games. A downloadable events toolkit will be available to help you plan what you’ll do to celebrate, linking in your celebration with the Olympic torch being carried through your area. Available from January 2012.

Last edited:

Cloudy Owl

Brownie Guider
GuiderPlus
I thought there was something coming to do with the Olympics as there's a Leaders training day at Icando in April - day out for me and DD I think!!

Squirrel-Nutkin

if its 3 different badges (sport, cultures & values) - it sounds big!!!!

speculates: wonders if other guiding countries will be doing these badges as well (like the wagggs one last olympics was done by loads of different countries)

KatieW

Guide Guider, Nottingham
Staff member
GuiderPlus
if its 3 different badges (sport, cultures & values) - it sounds big!!!!

speculates: wonders if other guiding countries will be doing these badges as well (like the wagggs one last olympics was done by loads of different countries)
I'm hoping there's a WAGGGS resource too!

FPG

Veteran (100+ posts)
I'm hoping there's a WAGGGS resource too!
Hasn't it been that the host country's association has developed a resource and then WAGGGS has "distributed" it? It was the Greek GA that developed the first one for Athens and then the "Chinese" (Hong Kong) GA that updated/revised it for Beijing, not WAGGGS.

KatieW

Guide Guider, Nottingham
Staff member
GuiderPlus
Hasn't it been that the host country's association has developed a resource and then WAGGGS has "distributed" it? It was the Greek GA that developed the first one for Athens and then the "Chinese" (Hong Kong) GA that updated/revised it for Beijing, not WAGGGS.
I wasn't aware of that, I thought it was a WAGGGS one! Thanks :)