• Welcome Guest to the new look forum. For more information refer to this thread

New programme resources

Spittal Belle

Beginner (10+ posts)
I am assuming that the new programme will not include new handbooks, which brought to mind a publication from some years ago that was a booklet of activities for brownies which included, colouring pictures, quizzes, word searches etc which was based on the programme at that time, I feel that the new programme should include something similar with activities from the six themes there could be one for each section with varying difficulty skills. Anyone else think this would work?

Tawnyowl51

Veteran (100+ posts)
We don't yet know what resources will be published to support the new programme so it may be worth waiting to find out, rather than starting to think of possibilities before anyone even knows what is going to be available. Concentrate on continuing to deliver the current programme until such time as we have all the details necessary to start the new one.

There are going to be lots of people who don't like it, that is inevitable, but let's wait and see.

Spittal Belle

Beginner (10+ posts)
The aim here was to put forward a suggestion rather than criticise, I fully appreciate that we don't yet know what is being planned, perhaps this is something that the planners may not have thought of and there is still time to include this if they felt it would be a good idea. Guider of 46 years service

Hilary

Guide Guider and District Commissioner
GuiderPlus
I am assuming that the new programme will not include new handbooks, which brought to mind a publication from some years ago that was a booklet of activities for brownies which included, colouring pictures, quizzes, word searches etc which was based on the programme at that time, I feel that the new programme should include something similar with activities from the six themes there could be one for each section with varying difficulty skills. Anyone else think this would work?
Whereas I am assuming the new programme will include some sort of handbook - and I'm hopeful for a badge book.

Trinny

Veteran (100+ posts)
I think that it is likely that the new programme will contain a handbook. However, I agree that a resource to explain the changes would be beneficial. I am aware of a short FAQ list on the website to discuss with the girls, but it was done fairly early in the process and doesn't really give any guidance on what to do or say. A game or activity would be great to introduce the 6 themes to the girls, but not I'm not sure about colouring in or word searches because they don't sound very fun to me.

browniebeth

Brownie Leader
Staff member
GuiderPlus
I think the timescales have been a bit misjudged, and it has now been too long without anything much to show for it. The exception being the taster packs, which would be great, if we'd actually got clear guidance not only on the sections but how it all marries together.

Instead we've got 12 stand alone activities, and another year potentially before the launch, where we are hoping all will be in place.

Of course, the long run up is enabling activities to be tested, but again, because we don't know how it all fits, we have to treat these tests as stand alone activities, when my understanding is that there will be a progression. And badges?!

There is a lot to consider, and I'd like to think that a handbook would be one of those considerations. By all means contact them to voice your views, it's perfectly fine to make suggestions...in the meantime...keeeep waiting...!

fenris

fenris
GuiderPlus
I think the timescales have been a bit misjudged, and it has now been too long without anything much to show for it. The exception being the taster packs, which would be great, if we'd actually got clear guidance not only on the sections but how it all marries together.

Instead we've got 12 stand alone activities, and another year potentially before the launch, where we are hoping all will be in place.

Of course, the long run up is enabling activities to be tested, but again, because we don't know how it all fits, we have to treat these tests as stand alone activities, when my understanding is that there will be a progression. And badges?!

There is a lot to consider, and I'd like to think that a handbook would be one of those considerations. By all means contact them to voice your views, it's perfectly fine to make suggestions...in the meantime...keeeep waiting...!
Quite a lot of work is going on behind the scenes, with material for handbooks being drafted, and more activities being tested. I only know about the small part I'm involved in, but I suspect that things are at a stage where there isn't much to announce at the moment, hence the lack of 'new news'.

browniebeth

Brownie Leader
Staff member
GuiderPlus
Quite a lot of work is going on behind the scenes, with material for handbooks being drafted, and more activities being tested. I only know about the small part I'm involved in, but I suspect that things are at a stage where there isn't much to announce at the moment, hence the lack of 'new news'.
Exactly, hence the timing being misjudged. The taster packs could easily have been issued in the new year, when one would hope that with a few months to go there would be a definite direction and skeleton outline as a minimum.

fenris

fenris
GuiderPlus
Exactly, hence the timing being misjudged. The taster packs could easily have been issued in the new year, when one would hope that with a few months to go there would be a definite direction and skeleton outline as a minimum.
Or is it a no win - produce some materials to give people a taster (it has revealed a number of people who didn't even know there was a change coming at all, despite the coverage in Guiding magazine and elsewhere) and let them see the sort of activities and formats which are coming, giving time for constructive feedback to be received - and be criticised for it.

Or keep everything embargoed until launch day, where a volley of criticism can be expected regardless of the content of the new programmes, simply because humans are naturally anti-change, and face accusations of excess secrecy?

browniebeth

Brownie Leader
Staff member
GuiderPlus
Or is it a no win - produce some materials to give people a taster (it has revealed a number of people who didn't even know there was a change coming at all, despite the coverage in Guiding magazine and elsewhere) and let them see the sort of activities and formats which are coming, giving time for constructive feedback to be received - and be criticised for it.

Or keep everything embargoed until launch day, where a volley of criticism can be expected regardless of the content of the new programmes, simply because humans are naturally anti-change, and face accusations of excess secrecy?
As we have a whole year from September 2018 to get used to it and phase it in, I don't see why the taster packs needed to go out 12 months prior to the phase out. 6 months would have been sufficient, with enough of a clatter to announce it, and hopefully more to be said on the whole thing by that point.

Willow

Veteran (100+ posts)

I'm really excited about the new programme, and have enjoyed seeing and testing the pack of meeting activities.

I would now like to see an example of a skill builder and an interest badge, and some indication of the supporting materials for girls (handbook? badgebook?) and for Leaders. I would also like to see what topics are currently being considered for inclusion for each section, so I have a better idea of how it all fits together.

fenris

fenris
GuiderPlus
I'm really excited about the new programme, and have enjoyed seeing and testing the pack of meeting activities.

I would now like to see an example of a skill builder and an interest badge, and some indication of the supporting materials for girls (handbook? badgebook?) and for Leaders. I would also like to see what topics are currently being considered for inclusion for each section, so I have a better idea of how it all fits together.
The handbooks are currently being written. So it will take time for the drafts to be finalised and in a position where they can be shared with members. But - it's coming!

MummySquirrel

Veteran (100+ posts)
We've been asked to test an Explorer Skills Builder and have been told it could be either or both a group or independent activity - looking forward to seeing what it entails

AngliaGuider

Regular (50+ posts)
We've been asked to test an Explorer Skills Builder and have been told it could be either or both a group or independent activity - looking forward to seeing what it entails
I would love to be asked to do one of those. The unit activities and interest badges are kind of known entities, but I'm fielding a lot of questions as DC about what these skills builders are going to be and no-one I know has ever seen sight of one.

Last edited:

fenris

fenris
GuiderPlus
I would love to be asked to do one of those. The unit activities and interest badges are king of known entities, but I'm fielding a lot of questions as DC about what these skills builders are going to be and no-one I know has ever seen sight of one.
I've tested a couple, and there may yet be scope for more units to join the panel of testers - after all, the more units who do testing, the more balanced and representative the resulting opinions will be.

AngliaGuider

Regular (50+ posts)
I've tested a couple, and there may yet be scope for more units to join the panel of testers - after all, the more units who do testing, the more balanced and representative the resulting opinions will be.
We're on the panel. we tested a unit activity - and fed back... - but I'm hoping we might be recalled for one of these.

MummySquirrel

Veteran (100+ posts)
We're on the panel. we tested a unit activity - and fed back... - but I'm hoping we might be recalled for one of these.
We tested and fed back on a Unit Activity earlier this year. I received an email a couple of days ago asking if we could test an Explorer Skills Builder - we of course said Yes!! Quite excited to see what it entails (this is for Guides, haven't heard anything about testing for Rainbows although I'm sure I put our unit name forward)

AngliaGuider

Regular (50+ posts)
We tested and fed back on a Unit Activity earlier this year. I received an email a couple of days ago asking if we could test an Explorer Skills Builder - we of course said Yes!! Quite excited to see what it entails (this is for Guides, haven't heard anything about testing for Rainbows although I'm sure I put our unit name forward)
There's a chance for us yet, then!