1. Welcome Guest to the new look forum. For more information refer to this thread
    Dismiss Notice

New programme resources

Discussion in 'General Guiding' started by Spittal Belle, Oct 15, 2017.

1. kingfisherblue

kingfisherblue Veteran (100+ posts)

We're testing an Innovate Skills Builder level 2 for Brownies next week. We've also been asked to test a Skills Builder towards the end of next month for Rainbows.

It's not too late to be asked - we only received the request for Rainbows on Tuesday this week.

2. batty bird

batty bird R's B's & G's

I got an email Friday for a reflect skills builder , traditions . tested it out last night general consensus from brownies .... It was rubbish . so we carried on with our planned activity ... A pillow fight :)

3. Hilary240

Hilary240 Beginner (10+ posts)

We're testing Innovate Skills Builder stage 3 next week. Think the younger and special needs girls may struggle to read and understand the instructions. But there again, they may surprise us!

4. Snowflake1

Snowflake1 Beginner (10+ posts)

We're testing a reflect skills builder stage 1 with Rainbows. We also tested an activity previously with Rainbows not heard anything for Brownies even though said we'd be willing to test with them also.

5. Brown9

Brown9 Regular (50+ posts)

We are doing the explorer skills builder but I know another guider who has had other activities - the time given for planning is very short notice from receiving the information to returning it. I'm not sure what hers was for but the way it was written was not clear. It looked like it should be a Guide badge not Brownies and it was all about business and negotiating prices etc. one of them suggested they went home and said I want 'something' NOW! in order to try out different ways of asking for things - certainly something I would not tell my girls to do. She has of course fed back - oh and the activity required quite a lot of supplies which isn't great a)at short notice and b) for a unit not in a very wealthy area. Oh well I'll just see what we get!

6. Brown9

Brown9 Regular (50+ posts)

I also hope we get a badge book although it does mean more costs for the unit we are fundraising in the next week or so! Putting things online doesn't work for my girls neither does expecting them to do badges at home most don't have the support and so only get what we do in meetings so if they can't be done in meetings I can see more use of challenge badges!

7. Trinny

Trinny Veteran (100+ posts)

We have been given an activity to test next week. It's basically building a set for a play for a nursery/story that you're meant to build in a tent (one tent per six). It's just frustrating because there is no way I can deliver this in a week! I have several issues:

1) why is it in a tent? We don't camp, so we'd have to borrow them (and in our district the tents are stored in someone's dad's garage, so I don't think they'll be best pleased to get it out just for 1 night!)
    2) if we don't do it in a tent, then I guess we have to do it full size. How on earth do we do that?! Maybe big bits of wallpaper/wrapping paper? It would have to be really big. Unless we did it doll size?
    3) this activity should apparently take 45 minutes!

Can anyone think of ways I can deliver this without it costing a bomb or losing my sanity?!

8. Lynz

Lynz Veteran (100+ posts)

Maybe using the space under a table instead of in a tent? Could drape a sheet/ table cloth/ old wall paper over three sides to get a "tent-like" feel?

I'd also be concerned about potential damage to a tent if they're trying to attach things to the walls!

9. Pixielation

Pixielation Brown Owl (x2)

I'd really like a Brownie handbook that is far SMALLER than the current one. I think it should be more focussed on allowing girls to record their journeys though the section rather than being a collection of ideas and activities that are just confusing. The three adventure sections are each too large, and our meetings don't reflect what is in them, because they'd be way to repetitive if they did.

I am also hoping for unit activities as well as individual activities when it comes to badges, and the ability to create your own badges within a logical format. The current badges are not representative or flexible enough - why have a rider badge, for example?

10. fenris

fenris fenris GuiderPlus

From the information so far, all of the interest badges are changing - and they are going back to being badges for the individual to work on at home, just as before. So we'll just need to wait and see what topics are/are not included in them.

Although there will be scope for units to do their own activities for part of the time, it isn't currently clear how much of the time will be taken up by the official programme, and how much will be available for units to 'do their own thing' - that will probably become clearer over time, so we'll need to wait and see. There will be unit activities within the official programme (we've already had some samples of these), but these will relate to the official programme rather than to unofficial badges.

11. ker-stee

ker-stee SGP Enthusiast GuiderPlus

Because it's good for girls to celebrate and share their achievements in other hobbies....

12. Epona

Epona Veteran (100+ posts)

...and popular. My (rural) pack has chosen to do it twice in 8 years. A local riding school runs a pony camp for us so the girls don't need to own their own pony.

batty bird, Burghilly and ker-stee like this.
  13. Quack

Quack Veteran (100+ posts) Staff Member Moderator GuiderPlus

And some 'generalised' badges lose their appeal if a girl has several interests so say Sportswoman would cover riding, running, archery... completely different pursuits which would need different criteria to judge competency. Likewise Hobbies has dumbed down so many skills that girls might like to try. Sometimes having a badge for an interest gives the insight into the fact it exists, eg bee keeping, thrift, knitter, astronomer etc ... how can we inspire girls to try new skills outside of their experience

batty bird and caroline68 like this.
  14. Pixielation

But that's my point - currently there is a rider badge, but not a sailer badge, knitter badge, rock climbing badge, ice skating badge, trampolining badge, gymnastics badge, woodworking badge, etc etc.

Hobbies is a poor substitute for something many sports or activities. Why have rider if we're not having other similarly defined badges as well.

Therefore I want to be able to make a suitable badge template for something completely bespoke. A template for both how the badge is earned, and what the badge looks like. A logical format to follow in order to ensure that the badge is properly challenging enough to be earned, and with the facility to buy it as a single or bulk order with our selected design placed within the editable area of the badge itself.

15. Burghilly

Burghilly Veteran (100+ posts)

In the past they use to have pretty much all of these.

If we end up with lots of 'unofficial' interest badges floating around there would be no way of making sure they all met a common standard. If units were to all come up with their own interest badges, what would be the point of having 'official' ones?

16. Pixielation

I'd be perfectly happy to have to submit the syllabus for approval and they would need to be physically produced by HQ in order to ensure they DO meet the common standard.

My unit never does badges that are not official as it is, which is why having limited interest badges sometimes makes it difficult to choose a new one.

Or you could look at the Australian Girl Guides badge system - it's quite different, very flexible. I didn't think I liked it when I first saw it, but I can really see the opportunity for tailoring your program to your girls. Here is a good explanation of it from a district: Badge Syllabus ideas - Girl Guides Ballarat

17. Trinny

Trinny Veteran (100+ posts)

I think 50+ is plenty of badges for 3 years! But I think some of them are utter nonsense - circus performer anyone? Has anyone ever completed that without attending a GGUK circus workshop like Magic and Mayhem? And I feel like World Issues in particular could be more flexible, as it doesn't mention plastic at all which is a very good world issue, or global warming.

Although, I never feel constrained by the badges because I work on a "spirit of the rules" system - even if it's not strictly listed, if I feel it is of equivalent difficulty and relevance then I'll count it (but I wish this was recognised by GGUK by saying "or any other clause your tester feels appropriate" or something like that at the end of the clause list).

At the moment I feel quite positive about the new programme, but my main worry is the quality of the unit meeting activities.

18. Pixielation

We do too, using common sense, as long as there is a good challenge. Some of the current badges are quite inconsistent with each other with the level of work that needs to be done anyway. And of the 50, some just don't lend themselves to being done in unit time at all, or are of no interest to a proportion of the girls. I do like the current guide set up with interest badges and go-for-its being aimed at both individual and patrol activities, so I am hoping that the new system for all has aspects of that.

In all I guess I hope for more latitude to tailor our program to our own girls and use that "spirit of the rules" kind of initiative!

19. fenris

fenris fenris GuiderPlus

But you may not need to invent anything - until we know which badges are being introduced, we do not know how many there will be, or what topics they will cover. Whatever, none of them will be for use at unit meetings anyway - interest badges are going back to being done at home by individuals only.

20. partygirl

partygirl Veteran (100+ posts)

Perhaps we need something along the lines of the Scout note at the bottom of their badges.

"Each young person who participates in the Programme, including badges and awards, should face a similar degree of challenge, and requirements can be adapted according to each young person’s abilities. For more information and practical tips see our guidance on flexibility"