• Welcome Guest to the new look forum. For more information refer to this thread

Question? Next Term Plans For Brownies?

cazzaworld

Beginner (10+ posts)
Hi,

What has everybody got planned for their girls next term? I've got a pre~prep meeting coming up shortly and I am needing some ideas and inspirations.

Cheers. :)

sandra 100

Veteran (100+ posts)
not sure yet I have a new lady joining (to cover guiders maternity) she is a trainer and has been a guider for a long time so I am looking forward to her doing something different to what we usually do also she loves singing so our girls will be pleased
might also try to whole term without spending any money

kingfisherblue

Veteran (100+ posts)
We always start the term with Promise activities. Then we're doing Out and About if one of our guiders is back from maternity (she has said that she will be, but baby is only a month old). She's keen to run that badge, and it's one that the girls have specifically requested. The girls also want to earn their Disability Awareness badge. Once you add in Christmas and a couple of other seasonal activities, the term is planned.

We had a Pow wow before we broke up, so we knew what the girls want to do.

fenris

fenris
GuiderPlus
I'll know after the first meeting back, which is next week. Unless you did some planning before the holidays, then you really have to wait until the girls come back at the start of term, and you get the chance to collect some of their ideas, before you can plan the term. It's fine to have some ideas of your own, and research them in case they appeal to the girls too, but we do have to resist the temptation to arrive at the start of term with an idea for more than half the weeks in the term already inked in.

We are doing the Beatrix Potter Challenge, and will be having two evenings where the girls plan and run the evening. After the October half term we will be doing the World Traveller badge and the Passport to Europe Challenge. Do decision has been made about the run up to Christmas. We will discuss this with the girls when we get back, but was thinking of doing the Victorian Christmas Challenge.

sandra 100

Veteran (100+ posts)
when we ask our girls they never seem to have any ideas (except the usual visit disney land, bake every week. and go swimming)

kingfisherblue

Veteran (100+ posts)
Sandra, have you tried a Six mindmap? Start with an idea in the middle and get the girls to branch out all over the paper. For Disney, some girls might have favourite films that make their way onto the map, for example. From each one, you could develop further ideas.

An example might be Snow White - taste test different types of apple.
Find out what plants and animals might be in a forest (possibly tie in with identification - think it's Seasons badge that challenges Brownies to identify trees, flowers and wildlife. Also Adventure On, community)
Act out a scene.
Sing some songs (most will know a chorus, but might need to learn verses).
The dwarves dig for diamonds - look at different precious stones, maybe in terms of birthstones. Challenge the girls to line up silently in birthday month order (More Adventures, community).
The dwarves are named after characteristics, so let the girls decide what their nickname would be, or make something (bookmark, placemat, write a poem) around the positive alphabet (you might be Super Sandra or Brilliant Brown Owl) - this could become part of Artist or Writer badge.
Snow White was very sad and frightened, but cheered up when she met the dwarves - do something about feelings. Make a feelings wheel (Adventure On, You) or learn about body language (Communicator).

Obviously it is then possible to extend into the Adventure badges or an interest badge if you want to. The Brownies will need some help initially, but once they've had a go, I find most enjoy mindmaps and come up with ideas that I never would have linked together.

We did a half term on Disney, choosing one film per week. We learned a song from the film and chose activities based around the storyline. It was a great half term - I think the adults enjoyed it as much as the girls.

ker-stee

SGP Enthusiast
GuiderPlus
I'll know after the first meeting back, which is next week. Unless you did some planning before the holidays, then you really have to wait until the girls come back at the start of term, and you get the chance to collect some of their ideas, before you can plan the term. It's fine to have some ideas of your own, and research them in case they appeal to the girls too, but we do have to resist the temptation to arrive at the start of term with an idea for more than half the weeks in the term already inked in.
This is why we ask girls before the holidays what they would like to do in the next term. As a leadership team, we can't all get together on any days apart from Mondays and in our planning meetings we decide who is bringing which items etc.

fenris

fenris
GuiderPlus
when we ask our girls they never seem to have any ideas (except the usual visit disney land, bake every week. and go swimming)
I used to have that - having a small unit didn't help, because if there was too high a proportion of quiet ones there were few ideas to go round - so rather than ask them to actually choose individual activity ideas, we ask them to choose topics. So we have a chart with each of the weeks we are meeting, some slips of paper, and a packet of blu-tack. The slips have things on them like 'science', 'drama', 'surprise', 'outdoor', 'music', 'Adventure Work', 'Sixer-Led night', 'outing', etc. There will be one copy of some slips, and more than one of others - and a lot more slips than there are spaces, so the Brownies have to work together to decide which slips will be used and which will not, and then which weeks to place them on. Once the topics are chosen, then we as Leaders can choose what activities we match to each one - so 'music' could be singing, singing games, making up a dance routine to music, making/playing instruments, a have-a-go session on different instruments, writing a unit song, creating Six raps, or whatever else we think would interest and challenge the girls within than theme. It balances their input and ours, and helps us to ensure the programme is balanced.

we're taking ours to the fire station, farm to fork at tesco, pets@home and getting a magician in to put on a show! also baking and creating to work towards their badges! you could ask if there are any badges they want to earn? :)

beccaw

Beginner (10+ posts)
On the first week we are starting with a promise activity led by our LiT so looking forward to see what that will be!
This year we have decided to start to use the adventure books... we have always given them out at promise ceremonies but never used them in the unit. So on week 1 we will be exploring what the adventure involves and getting older ones to identify what clauses they have already done and everyone to plan a bit of a 'journey' through their adventure. I'm excited to see how it goes! We will also do the 'Great Mates' activity from the book to get to know our new starters (a bit like people bingo!)
Weeks 2 and 3 the girls will have free choice badge work and choose from artist, writer, agility and home skills to achieve one of these working in small groups with a leader.
Weeks 4 - 7 we are doing the seasons badge and will focus on one season each week so will be looking at making a gauge for rainfall, creating a collage for dream holiday with holiday brochures, designing and making reflective clothing and making toffee apples and apple bobbing competition!
I'm looking forward to going back this year as feel organised!! :)

Trinny

Veteran (100+ posts)
Highlights for us will include the Brownie Traditions badge (we do a couple of clauses and let the girls finish the rest at home), Mission Spectacular, a girls-organised night, a campfire with s'mores and a craft night with Rainbows.
We do a pow wow at the end of each term as an evaluation/feedback session, plus we ask what they'd like to do next term, so our term is girl-led but planned in advance.

mischeif

Beginner (10+ posts)
we are starting back with borrowing some circus equipment, toymakers badge , pamper night, autum crafts animal night , visit from the local police, bonfirenight, poppie decorating a christmas tree at he towns christmas festival christmas crafts and ending up at the local indoor play centre

cerys80

Brownie Leader
We are continuing with our Mission Spectacular badge as the girls voted for all the bits they wanted to do and we've several more weeks to do. We are joining in a County Growing up Wild event, having a Promise themed night. Then we will turn to Remembrance and we are making pop bottle melted plastic poppies to go on the railings around our village memorial, each girl making 1 for every fallen man in our village with both sets of their initials on, plus lots more, which I hope will look lovely for Remembrance Parade. Then we will have a Scary Fairy night as we fall on Halloween this year, we will get the oldest to organise the activity voting and help run the activities. Then we are doing an Upcycle Challenge which will culminate in a display/show to parents for our last night together with our Xmas Munch & Mingle. Plus there is a trip out - not sure where as Brownies will vote, but will be along the lines of bowling, airhop, indoor climbing, skating, something like that.

Some great ideas there Cerys. I threw my Mission Spectacular stuff away when I thought I was leaving guiding as I had done some with the guides.

We are doing the Beatrix Potter Challenge, and will be having two evenings where the girls plan and run the evening. After the October half term we will be doing the World Traveller badge and the Passport to Europe Challenge. Do decision has been made about the run up to Christmas. We will discuss this with the girls when we get back, but was thinking of doing the Victorian Christmas Challenge.
Hill

Hill

Where can I get hold of the beatrix Potter challenge?
Thanks

The Beatrix Potter challenge is available from this forum. Although the challenge is not actually on the forum this can be emailed by the lady you put a note on the forum. Sorry, I cannot remember the person's details, but if you cannot find this send me a pm with your email address and I will send this over to you.

Hi there, is the Victorian Christmas challenge still available do you know? Is it suitable for Rainbows? Thanks!