• Welcome Guest to the new look forum. For more information refer to this thread

Occasional Helper Clothing

littlemadangel

Leader In Training
I've recently, in the last few months, became an Occassional Helper with a Guide unit in my area.

The GIC has confirmed she has sent my forms etc off and I am registered.

The first few meetings I just wore my normal clothes but I'd like something a wee bit more specific more to GGUK (if I have GirlGuiding clothing, it stops me stressing over what to wear as well, and eases the washload!)

Can anyone direct me as to what I should be wearing? Is it members wear?

Cazbly

Darth Vader (12,500+ posts)
If you are a member with a paid subscription, then it is members wear.

If, as an occasional helper, you are avoiding subscription - then you are not a member and must wear civilian clothing.

Hilary

Guide Guider and District Commissioner
GuiderPlus
I agree with Cazbly but there's nothing to stop you wearing a navy polo shirt with a unit necker if you have one and a Promise badge if you have made the Promise at any point in your life.

guidingbear

Assistant guide guider
It may be worth contacting trading about the members wear. I contacted them with a specific question regarding my husband, who as a residential occasional helper, is not a member. He will be helping with some fundraising this summer, and we wanted him to look liked he should be there ISWIM. Trading confirmed to me that he could wear the members wear polo shirt.

Under your name, it shows you as a brownie leader - if you are a still a brownie leader as well, then just wear your uniform as if you were visiting any other unit. However, it sounds as though you are helping on a regular basis - if you are worried about keeping the washing down! - then perhaps you need to review your status as 'occasional' and become a unit helper instead. Its all down to frequency - more than twice a month and you are not 'occasional' any more. Obviously unit helpers now attract census, but the unit would now have a whole year to prepare themselves for that.

jolito

General dogsbody
As an Occasioal Helper non-member (only at meetings once or twice a term) your own clothes, in blue if you prefer, should be worn as you are not a member, you wouldn't be entitled to wear the clothing of a member. However, if you are a Brownie Guider with one Unit (and therefore a member), you wouldn't be able to be an Occasional Helper non-member at another Unit, so uniform/members wear is the thing to wear!

littlemadangel

Leader In Training
I use the term Brownies etc for ease of use on here, so people know what I'm talking about. My other unit, where I am a leader is a CGI unit, just we have different names for different sections. I work with Briginis which are same age as Brownies, so I just use the term Brownies on here, if that makes sense!

In my GGUK unit, I am an occassional helper with Guides and Senior Section. I'm assuming from the replies, I'll be in normal clothes then, which is what I thought, but just checking!

Thanks for your replies and sorry for being confusing!:D

Hilary

Guide Guider and District Commissioner
GuiderPlus
I use the term Brownies etc for ease of use on here, so people know what I'm talking about. My other unit, where I am a leader is a CGI unit, just we have different names for different sections. I work with Briginis which are same age as Brownies, so I just use the term Brownies on here, if that makes sense!

In my GGUK unit, I am an occassional helper with Guides and Senior Section. I'm assuming from the replies, I'll be in normal clothes then, which is what I thought, but just checking!

Thanks for your replies and sorry for being confusing!:D
Could you not wear your CGI uniform?