• Welcome Guest to the new look forum. For more information refer to this thread

Olympics

emmaluvseeyore

Brownie Leader and Ranger Assistant
apparently uk tickets sales for paraolympics are the highest ever (compared to previous hosts of paraolympics) - now I know why, emmaluyvseeyore has bought all the tickets ;)
Hehehe. I knew that I wouldn't get many tickets for the Olympics, so I was determined to get loads for the Paras. Out of the events I saw in the last 4 days (which were a lot!) I enjoyed all of them more than the 3 Olympic events I went to. I saw 2 GB gold medals (Jonathon Fox in Swimming and David Weir in the Athletics), plus plenty of other medals. I met the GB Boccia team in the Olympic park, and then was lucky enough to see them win their match yesterday afternoon. I also met Tanni Grey-Thompson in the shopping centre on the way home! I saw an American guy draw an archery bow with his teeth, swimmers without arms swim incredibly fast, and last night saw blind discus throwers!! Awe-inspiring!

sari

pre-warranted GiC
Staff member
GuiderPlus
I had the best werkend ever at the Paralympics! Judo GoalBall and basketball....amazing!

Sent from my HTC Desire using Tapatalk 2

jennthedeadfunkyranger

Guide Guider
GuiderPlus
I'm so jealous of everyone who has managed to get tickets! I didn't get to see anything when I was there, other than a road race and swimming in the Serpentine. Me and my sister went into the park and tried to get tickets, but they weren't doing resales at that point.

Squirrel-Nutkin

The Wicked Witch of the West (15,000+ posts)
its the paralympics marathon this sunday - so any that couldn't get tickets for events could always go and see that (with the added plus that it's a freebie) :)

went to london myself today and was well impressed with all the olympic signage and labelling on the underground

Ravclar

Beginner (10+ posts)
I know how you feel - I didn't see anything other than car parks and depots. Client wouldn't give pick up times but expected collecting with in 10 minutes of contact so I couldn't wander anywhere.

jennthedeadfunkyranger

Guide Guider
GuiderPlus
Were you a T1 driver then? Which depot? We did complain at times at being stuck underground, but at the end of the day, we did have a good time as there was usually a biggish group of us, so we had a lot of banter, and found ways of amusing ourselves (such as Mexican waving all teh drivers coming back in one day!), whereas the T3 drivers were stuck at staging areas, often not able to leave the car even to go to the loo.

A lot of the drivers also fed back to workforce (which then came round to us in an email) that they were so grateful for us being there, as they said that they felt we'd got the short straw with jobs... yet we were always cheerful when they came in which they needed if they'd had a rubbish shift, and as we were quiet, if they needed to offload on someone we had the time for it, we weren't rushing off on another job

I did consider seeing if I could do the driving assessments, but then went and forgot my paper licence...

Ravclar

Beginner (10+ posts)
I was an Olympic Family Assistant based at Park Lane Depot. Everyone was welcoming and helpful at all of the car parks and depots which was great, especially if DORS was having a bad day and the journey had taken longer than anticipated.

*gwen*

GIC Guide/SS
GuiderPlus
Can't believe it is all over. :'( Have had the most amazing time at the Aquatic Centre.

Anyone going to come along to the Athletes Parade?

*gwen*

GIC Guide/SS
GuiderPlus
There is an amazing leader out there, saw a large group of Brownies and Guides at the aquatic centre yesterday morning. They all looked they were have a wonderful time. What an amazing trip, and well done on securing that many tickets.

Was it anyone on here?

Squirrel-Nutkin

The Wicked Witch of the West (15,000+ posts)
that must have been hard to get a group batch of tickets am seriously impressed!!!! I agree a huge well done for this anonymous leader for securing that many tickets!

snowy91

Fully warranted Brownie Guider
well it's inspired me....i'm now looking at getting into a sport (no idea what yet!)..i hated P.E at school but i'm trying to get into more 'alternative' sports which may interest me more than football, netball and hockey we did at school!

ker-stee

SGP Enthusiast
GuiderPlus
well it's inspired me....i'm now looking at getting into a sport (no idea what yet!)..i hated P.E at school but i'm trying to get into more 'alternative' sports which may interest me more than football, netball and hockey we did at school!
Not really sport, but wht about something like Zumba or aerobics whig you can do with friends?

miniminime

Veteran (100+ posts)
If the games maker who was outside the aquatics centre (on Saturday morning)who recongnised me as either being a Scouter or Guider is here, because of my brumjam hoodie, then Hello!