1. Welcome Guest to the new look forum. For more information refer to this thread
    Dismiss Notice

Olympics

Discussion in 'Olympics 2012' started by Squirrel-Nutkin, May 6, 2012.

1. Squirrel-Nutkin

Squirrel-Nutkin The Wicked Witch of the West (15,000+ posts)

closing ceremony was in my humble opinion fantastic! seems a bit sad that its all over (where has the 2 weeks gone? passed very quickly)

london did well in the medal chart

2. nikifm

nikifm Aka - Roly Mole and LaLa [=

Loved the closing ceremony! What a great bit of British-ness!
    Apart from George - not sure about that. And Jesse J singing Queen was just AWFUL! But never mind!
    Loved Spice Girls (and Boris dancing) and Take That, and the Who and Muse and all the rest!
    Very proud to be British!

3. LFC_dragonfly

LFC_dragonfly Veteran (100+ posts)

Well, Yorkshire is the biggest county by quite some way. It's to be expected really. Whereas Lancashire is small (we're selective in which areas we let join!) in comparison, and so we've obviously done better with what we have!! :D

4. ker-stee

ker-stee SGP Enthusiast GuiderPlus

But population wise were not the biggest, we're quite sparsely populated... We beat London thou who deff have more people than us!

5. HMSisME

HMSisME Guide Leder to only disabled unit!

Cheers Jenn and Orly
    We have Park tickets so its what ever we can get in to see once we are in the park. Thankfully the patrol that I am taking round are great and will slow down for their 'old' leader. I dont mind warm water just as long as there is a good amount of water to drink as that would be my major problem if I cant get enough water while we are there. Thankfully my energy tablets can be dissolved in water top give it some flavour.

now just have to find my walking stick that will fit in my rucksack (not used it since I've moved)

6. jennthedeadfunkyranger

jennthedeadfunkyranger Guide Guider GuiderPlus

They do have big golf buggies too to shuttle people about if you find it's too big

7. emmaluvseeyore

emmaluvseeyore Brownie Leader and Ranger Assistant

My suggestion with the Park tickets is to plan what you want to see before you go. If you don't do that, you could find that you miss a LOT because you spend so much time walking around aimlessly.
    You will not be allowed to use the golf buggies unless you have a mobility issue, so I wouldn't rely on them.
    If you are going to the Wheelchair Tennis, 5 or 7-a-side football, cycling, basketball or wheelchair rugby, then I would suggest going to Leyton tube station and enter the park through the Eton Manor Gate. This entrance is not advertised as much as the Stratford or West Ham entrance, but it is a lot closer to the venues for the sports I just listed.
    For any other venues, I would suggest avoiding Stratford station, and either go to West Ham or to Stratford International (via the Javelin from St Pancras.
    There are plenty of food places across the entire park, and there are lots of water stations too (just be prepared to queue a little bit). Take your own empty water bottle with you. You can take in food (which a lot of people don't realise), but I would suggest not taking yoghurts because they might not let them in!
    There is very little natural shade anywhere, so be prepared for lots of walking in the sun (if the weather is as nice as it was for the Olympics).

If anyone has any questions about the Olympic Park feel free to ask; I have been there quite a lot because of rehearsing for ceremonies!

8. blue_dreamer

blue_dreamer Veteran (100+ posts)

What were you doing in the closing ceremony, emmaluvseeyore?

9. Orly

Orly Veteran (100+ posts)

Our second home !

10. emmaluvseeyore

I was one of the people with the sexy blue suits with added sock suspenders and lightbulb hats!! Orly was too. Was such a great experience over the last 3 months, and I am actually struggling to settle back into normal life (not useful when I have a major report for my PhD due in mid September).

11. Squirrel-Nutkin

Squirrel-Nutkin The Wicked Witch of the West (15,000+ posts)

did you have to do as many rehearsals for the closing ceremony as the opening one?

12. emmaluvseeyore

Our group had 3 rehearsals between Opening and Closing, plus one at the stadium on the afternoon of the Closing. However, all we had to learn was the position that we stand in, and the route to taking walking there. Other groups had as many rehearsals as we had for the Opening.

13. *gwen*

*gwen* GIC Guide/SS GuiderPlus

Did you have to stay holding hands the whole ceremony. I felt really sorry for you guys. Some of the althetes looked like they wanted to break out.

Which country(s) did you have standing next to you?

14. SunnyOwl

SunnyOwl SunnyOwl

Presumably only if your accreditation is for Olympic Park Common domain? Mine only has EXL on it so I was presuming that it only grants access there. I wouldnt have thought they'd just allow anyone in just because they are volunteering at another site?

Just wondering!

15. jennthedeadfunkyranger

jennthedeadfunkyranger Guide Guider GuiderPlus

No, I had FLD and VSA on mine, but I got in no problems twice. A few people on my team didn't get in, but we realised they were the ones who'd swapped from being a driver to dispatch, so something must have gone wrong when their role was swapped over.

16. yorkie67

yorkie67 Div CA, GIC G, GIC R GuiderPlus

Cool, my DH loved those lights on the hats!!! I've noticed that some athletes took some of these for home!

Bet you and Orly had a great time and one of those lifetime memories.

I wished I had applied to be a GM!!!

17. emmaluvseeyore

We had to hold hands the majority of the time, but we were allowed to shake out our hands quite often (we get told when in our ear pieces). I was lucky in that there weren't that many athletes in my segment, unlike some of them, so I never had pressure on my arms. I had Japan, Ethiopia, Germany and Lativa (I think) near me. I also had a lot of the flag bearers in my segment, so there were quite a lot of people on their own. I had the flag bearer from the Virgin Islands, Guyana and another small country (can't think which one now). The guys from Ethiopia were hilarious and spent the whole night dancing. We spent quite a lot of time telling them where to look as they would have missed a lot of things otherwise.

The girl next to me swapped her hat with one of the German athletes, and one of my friends (who was in my drum group in the Opening) was the lady who gave Mo Farrah her hat (as seen on TV).

18. emmaluvseeyore

You are only allowed in the Olympic Park if the code on your pass is one of the ones on the board by security. I can no longer use mine to get in because I only have OOC and OCC. I could get in at any time between the two ceremonies (even if I didn't have a rehearsal) because OCC was on the board at security.

19. ker-stee

ker-stee SGP Enthusiast GuiderPlus

Not Olympics, but I'm excited as I'm going to the Paralympics on Saturday and Sunday!!

20. Crazy Chilly

Crazy Chilly Veteran (100+ posts)

Have a great time:)