• Welcome Guest to the new look forum. For more information refer to this thread

On your marks - olympics resource

browniebeth

Brownie Leader
Staff member
GuiderPlus
Can someone help me? We're supposed to be making the promise torch at Brownies next week, and I just can't visualise how to make the cone! Cut a circle, then put a slit in to half way, then roll it?? How does that make a cone?? Very confused and I'm sure it's ridiculously simple!

SuziOwl

Beginner (10+ posts)
We did this a few weeks ago & just used a piece of A4 gold card for each girl. Start in one corner & just roll! Not really proper cone but was really effective & a decent size. Think you could also use a semi-circle with a slit but would probably need more that A4 to get a decent size.

Try this for the flame :

http://www.0to5.com.au/templates/flame.htm

Enjoy :)

rugbynutter

Rainbow Guider & Ranger
GuiderPlus
Can someone help me? We're supposed to be making the promise torch at Brownies next week, and I just can't visualise how to make the cone! Cut a circle, then put a slit in to half way, then roll it?? How does that make a cone?? Very confused and I'm sure it's ridiculously simple!
We used a quarter-circle instead (saves paper!). You roll the two straight sides together & overlap slightly. The 'curved' bit becomes the top (where the flames go), the corner becomes the pointy bit at the bottom.
or...Similar applies to half circles (fold in half & pinch to mark the centre point, which becomes the pointy bottom)

or....For a full circle, you overlap the edges where you've just cut the slit, increase the overlap to make a narrower cone.

Marie

Guide Guider
Yes, Marie, I thought it would work better with older ones. Rainbows aren't the best throwers and catchers!
Like the sound of a balloon, hmmm.
We don't throw and catch, we tap the balloon and bat it back and forth with our hands - we score points by hitting the balloon so it lands on the floor behind the opposite team (this is where they like being able to lean backwards, it increases their reach when trying to prevent a balloon landing!). Virtually the only time the balloon stops moving is when it lands on the floor and has to be thrown back into play by a leader.

We have two hard and fast rules:
- bottoms must remain in contact with the floor at all times;
- leader's decision is final.

We usually have at least one leader keeping score and retrieving the balloon when it goes beyond the girls' reach. We play first team to x points where x varies, partly according to how much time we have for the game!

rugbynutter

Rainbow Guider & Ranger
GuiderPlus
We don't throw and catch, we tap the balloon and bat it back and forth with our hands - we score points by hitting the balloon so it lands on the floor behind the opposite team (this is where they like being able to lean backwards, it increases their reach when trying to prevent a balloon landing!). Virtually the only time the balloon stops moving is when it lands on the floor and has to be thrown back into play by a leader.

We have two hard and fast rules:
- bottoms must remain in contact with the floor at all times;
- leader's decision is final.

We usually have at least one leader keeping score and retrieving the balloon when it goes beyond the girls' reach. We play first team to x points where x varies, partly according to how much time we have for the game!
I like this version, think we will try it next week with Rainbows. We were going to use the volleyball but this sounds like they'll all be able to join in better.
We will be using the bell-football for something too, but that might be more of an 'obstacle course' than all-in team game.

sparklyrainbow

Veteran (100+ posts)
Anyone waiting for OYM badges from Trading, had this via our depot today from Sales/Info Team

"We are expecting our next delivery of the badge week commencing the 14th May, as soon as the badges come into stock we will be sending them out. "

lelikins

Veteran (100+ posts)
I was wondering if anyone with a copy of the OYM book could have a look for one of the games in it for me? It was a game which involved sweets, towards the end of the book and it was something about giving the girls a card with a rule on which they have to follow eg. 'Only eat yellow sweets'. What does it involve and what is the point/aim of the game?
Thank you! x

browniebeth

Brownie Leader
Staff member
GuiderPlus
The rules games?

It's about fairness and rules make things fair- if you change the rules, are things still fair, do they work, why don't they work, why is it important to follow rules etc

Each girl has a different instruction for the sweets on the table:
Only eat yellow sweets
make sure no one eats yellow sweets
make sure the sweets are shared equally
make a pile of blue sweets and get the person on your right to eat them
eat any sweet except blue

Girls should be silent, not sharing which card they have...let it go on for a bit (having explained the reason behind it beforehand)

Ask them how they felt when they couldn't follow their instruction, would it have been easier for them all to have had the same instruction :)

lelikins

Veteran (100+ posts)
Thank you very much! The only thing is that if one is 'only eat yellow sweets' and another is 'don't let anyone eat yellow sweets' then it won't work? Or is that making the point about everyone has to follow the same rules to make a game fair? Would it work if I changed it so the idea was to work as a team to split a bowl of sweets between the patrol? So it would be possible for all the rules to be followed, they just have to all work together to find a solution that means everyone's rule is followed, and they won't know what each other's rule is so they have to talk about it etc.

browniebeth

Brownie Leader
Staff member
GuiderPlus
Yeah that's the point! We did a similar idea with wink murder last week, with the murderer doing a really obvious action when they wanted to kill someone...it didn't last long at all!!

I don't completely understand your alternative idea, if I'm honest, but if it makes sense to you, then that's what matters! :)

sunsetsongbird

Rainbows & Guides GiC, Brownies AG
would anyone have 5 of each of the badges left over that I could buy from you? Got more girls than I realised between the two units, and I've run a bit short for the second one.

rugbynutter

Rainbow Guider & Ranger
GuiderPlus
For the orange 'sport' badge, our Rainbows chose:

1. 'race for the rings'. We will do a wide game, with 5 challenges - not quite worked out what these are yet, and for each one, the girls are awarded a pony bead for completing it. They end up with 5 beads, each in a colour of the olympic rings. We've also got white ponybead cord, to make them into bracelets.

The ponybead cord is like 'scoubies', so unlike elastic, it doesn't fray, & it's rigid enough for the girls to thread easily, but easier to bend & knot. It stretches slightly too, so a bracelet can be quite tight around the wrist, and still stretch off the hand.
We got the beads from this website, because they sell the right colour beads in small quantities, and saw the thread so go that too. The order arrived today, so I've just cut the lengths, and knotted loops in the end ready to stop beads falling off when they collect them.
http://www.craftbits.co.uk/cord-pony-lacing.htm

For the second 'orange/sport challenge' they chose ancient Greece.....I mananged to mix up the 'ancient Greeks' challenges in 'sport' and 'culture' showing them the 'culture' option instead, which involves decorating vases, not doing sport, ooops! But vases is what they chose, so it doesn't matter. I will add the sport one to the options for the next badge.

We're going to use Crafty Crocodiles' mini vases. We've bought a selection from the first two on this page, so the girls can choose which they do. I didn't notice the jugs in the catalogue, or we might've mixed it up a bit with those too. We'll be using up the acrylic paints we used for painting umbrellas last year, but with smaller brushes!
http://www.craftycrocodiles.co.uk/search/vase

The thrid choice was a tie between trying a new sport / playing sports on a wii, so we will be mixing both....if we can find someone to lend us a wii!

emmaluvseeyore

Brownie Leader and Ranger Assistant
Not actually seen a copy of this resource, so I was wondering if Trefoil Guild are able to earn this? We are trying to get ideas for the first meeting of next term.

Squirrel-Nutkin

The Wicked Witch of the West (15,000+ posts)
I've got to seriously get my head around the options and what we'll be doing this term too... I find I have to think through "workable options" before I put them to the girls for the vote, as I would hate for them to choose/select something that we then found impossible to do/too expensive to do etc etc!

RainbowC

Brownie Leader
Not actually seen a copy of this resource, so I was wondering if Trefoil Guild are able to earn this? We are trying to get ideas for the first meeting of next term.
It doesn't actually specify anything about TG, I don't think - but I see no reason why they shouldn't be able to earn it. I'd assume they're old enough to be able to choose appropriate activities without too much supervision... ;)

I'm doing 2 OYM evenings this half-term, and we're hopefully ending the term with an outdoor evening at our County HQ (let's hope there's some summer happening by then!). PLs are going to plan some sort of olympic-themed activity for the last evening, too, so I'm wondering about getting the centre OYM badge. I just don't think it's olympic-y enough for them to make the connection... Maybe I'll just get it for me! ;)