• Welcome Guest to the new look forum. For more information refer to this thread

On your marks - olympics resource

scoobyking

Veteran (100+ posts)
We are doing a Taekwondo session next week and also a local art teacher is helping us with a clay workshop to make Greek urns. Then I've got 3 more weeks with OYM pencilled in- not sure what to do in these sessions- thought of making Poi but wonder if they will take up too much of a meeting? How have you worked the activities into an evenings session? Oh and must confess ( she whispers) with so much Jubilee activities I haven't given the girls the option to choose...

browniebeth

Brownie Leader
Staff member
GuiderPlus
My brownies are now addicted to fried bananas....some not too keen on cinnamon topping, but sugar proved to be popular...and they all tried a new fruit tonight in the fruit salad, had some more unusual things like papaya and passion fruit. Quite proud of them really, I know I wouldn't have done when I was a brownie.
Would recommend the Brazilian cooking activities :)

RMT

Guide Leader
GuiderPlus
It would be interesting to know how many units could not afford to do the on you marks. We opted out due to costs, luckily we have had a fully planned term anyway

cotswoldblue

Veteran (100+ posts)
Fantastic night tonight with local artist in her studio. Girls 'let loose' with paint and squeezy sprays instead of aerosols to make a huge wall mural on big sheets. Lots of budding Banksys I'm sure!!

RainbowC

Brownie Leader
We're looking at mottos at Guides this week (and maybe mascots too, if they get through it quickly). Then in 2 weeks, they'll do the graffiti wall activity - and I thought I might suggest they think about incorporating their motto in this... Hopefully in the last week of term the PLs will run some sort of sporting-type activity, but that's all we're doing from OYM, and we're not getting any of the badges at all. The girls haven't actually been involved in choosing to use the resource, or chosen the activities, so I can't see that the centre badge would mean anything to them at all, and we're not doing enough to earn any of the individual badges.

JMW1

Guide Leader
GuiderPlus
We did the whole thing at camp over 3 days. We had booked archery anyway which fitted the "try an Olympic sport" nicely. We incorporated the "Find the rings" into our wide game and had a "wacky olympics" culminating in a wet sponge catapult event. Most of the actual activities were low cost so £3.60 per child out the camp budget was fine for the amount of activities it provided.

jennthedeadfunkyranger

Guide Guider
GuiderPlus
It would be interesting to know how many units could not afford to do the on you marks. We opted out due to costs, luckily we have had a fully planned term anyway
We're doing it all. We've spent a LOT on badges this term (all of OYM, 3 out of 4 badges for TWC, First aid and outdoor cook), but then this generally is our more expensive term, and it balances over the year. It still amounts to less than half they've paid for the term on subs, and we don't pay rent

snowy91

Fully warranted Brownie Guider
so brownie guiders which activities have you done ? Which did you enjoy most ? Ours loved the fpaljacks
Ours enjoyed a game where we ran activitie bases and they had to win the five Olympic rings :)
The energy bars went down well so did the design a mascot

yorkie67

Div CA, GIC G, GIC R
GuiderPlus
We're doing it all. We've spent a LOT on badges this term (all of OYM, 3 out of 4 badges for TWC, First aid and outdoor cook), but then this generally is our more expensive term, and it balances over the year. It still amounts to less than half they've paid for the term on subs, and we don't pay rent
We're the same, we don't pay rent and we spent a lot on badges and go for it, usually in the spring/summer months as it enables us to go out! I've loads of yearly challenges to be awarded now!!!!

We're only giving the small OYM badges but haven't decided on the others yet as I need to count on what we've done so far!

With the mascot/design kit designing we tweaked it by having Olympic Dragon's Den and this was excellent last night - we had six different products - not one was the same thing!!!!

browniebeth

Brownie Leader
Staff member
GuiderPlus
[QUOTE/]jacki
so brownie guiders which activities have you done ? Which did you enjoy most ? Ours loved the fpaljacks [/QUOTE]

Brazilian cooking was certainly a highlight, and an adapted writing on the wall activity...they also enjoyed making sock mascots, but weren't keen on role play/drama or medal making.

cerys80

Brownie Leader
Ours loved doing a wacky pentathalon (and the Sainsburys bell ball was a great hit), we did a couple of olympic quizzes as they love them (including the running one), an inspirational graffiti wall (or rather a banner that was 4 table lengths of lining paper!), we are off out to do a sport together next week as a unit and for our final week we will do a hunt the olympic rings widegame. We are giving them the OYM Sports badge and large gold chocolate medals as an end of term treat.

Squirrel-Nutkin

The Wicked Witch of the West (15,000+ posts)
when it comes to big things like the centenary, rainbows 25th or even diamond jubilee and olympics, I think girls should all experience similar "experience" no matter which unit girls go to - girls meet other girls at school and its nice if they all can compare notes and share experiences

so for me personally, I think its very sad when a unit decides not to join in with the central resources and badges and girls definitely loose out when they see other girls have badges that they themselves haven't seen or been given...

fully appreciate that there might be issues with cost of badges etc, however I do think we had a reasonable amount of notice re these badges/resources so would have given units time to consider different options and talk over the different options with DCs such as fundraising, applying for grants, raising subs etc hopefully numbers opting out are minimal

Not all the units in our district are doing all on the OYM badges, but everyone is at least doing one of the badges and some units are even sharing the your marks resource to save some monies :)

Last edited: