• Welcome Guest to the new look forum. For more information refer to this thread

On your marks - olympics resource

yorkie67

Div CA, GIC G, GIC R
GuiderPlus
Ours loved doing a wacky pentathalon (and the Sainsburys bell ball was a great hit), we did a couple of olympic quizzes as they love them (including the running one), an inspirational graffiti wall (or rather a banner that was 4 table lengths of lining paper!), we are off out to do a sport together next week as a unit and for our final week we will do a hunt the olympic rings widegame. We are giving them the OYM Sports badge and large gold chocolate medals as an end of term treat.

chocolate medal..... where from????? as I need to get 18 for tomorrow!

RainbowC

Brownie Leader
.... so for me personally, I think its very sad when a unit decides not to join in with the central resources and badges and girls definitely loose out when they see other girls have badges that they themselves haven't seen or been given...

fully appreciate that there might be issues with cost of badges etc, however I do think we had a reasonable amount of notice re these badges/resources so would have given units time to consider different options and talk over the different options with DCs such as fundraising, applying for grants, raising subs etc hopefully numbers opting out are minimal

Not all the units in our district are doing all on the OYM badges, but everyone is at least doing one of the badges and some units are even sharing the your marks resource to save some monies :)
I guess I'm on the other side of this one for several reasons. For one thing, in a girl-led programme, the girls could decide they don't like the look of the resource - particularly at Guide/SS level. For another, in units where money is very tight, the £10-15 for the resource and central badges could be more than is manageable. Yes, it's been out for a while, but it's up to each unit team to decide how to spend their budget. Plus, there are so many options in the resource that two units within the same section could do totally different things - so the girls aren't getting any similarity in their experience.

In our unit, we did one activity from OYM last week, and I got the distinct impression that most of them just aren't particularly bothered about the Olympics. Either that, or they've list interest since they're all doing Olympic topics in school this term (in four separate schools). So when we do another one next week, I doubt I'll be trying to make an Olympic link.

As I mentioned a couple of weeks ago, simply because of the way things have worked out this term, the Guides just don't know that we're using anything called 'On Your Marks'. We haven't got time this term to earn any of the edge badges, and the central one isn't obviously related to the Olympics so just wouldn't mean anything to the girls at all.

There are so many badges available now that I doubt girls tend to be very surprised or upset if others in different units have badges that they themselves don't know about. To be absolutely honest, I'm more bothered that we haven't had Jubilee badges as a unit!

nikkicrane

Beginner (10+ posts)
Our Rainbows have had great fun with this resource. We have made the energy bars, made Greek plaques (adapted from vases!), designed a mascot and a new sports kit, made gold medals for each other, tried games without rules, made promise torches and in the next few weeks are going horse riding, trampolining, got a circus skills workshop and playing race for the rings.

Squirrel-Nutkin

The Wicked Witch of the West (15,000+ posts)
when we all celebrate 125yrs of guiding and our current girls are all adults showing off their changing the world badges, diamond jubilee badges and OYM badges, any girls from units that didn't take part may start to feel that they were "left out"?

in girl-led guiding, can still be girl-led if leader produces the resource the girls are going to be doing and then leaving it to the girls to decide which of the badges/activities within the resource they wish to do...

for chances are the "badges" will become very important evidence of their time in guiding (just like the badges of the past)

although, I do agree with comment that girls have done "olympics" heavily at school!!!!! and at all our local schools they seem to have played mini-games and made up their own games, made olympic medals in varying shapes/sizes/colours/mediums and olympic torches...

Fox

Brownie-induced madness
We've had a bit of a random term with one thing and another and have not done this, although we had an offer of a loan of the resources. We're having a planning meeting for September today and I've realised we could still do this...

So, very very quickly, can someone give me an idiot's guide to the different badges available - are they different themes, or are the clauses for each of them quite similar? We'll probably have a joint session R/B and try and do most of one badge in one session (which is 1 1/2 hrs for R and 2 1/2 hrs for B).

(I have looked at most of this thread but I don't have the resource in order to work out what's what!)

nikkicrane

Beginner (10+ posts)
The three badges come under the headings, sports, values and culture.
Sport
Invent your own BGS
Ancient Olympics - hold a pentathlon RBGS
Race for rings (wide game) RBGS
Get uk healthy (eg poster) RBGS
Design own sports kit RBGS
Inspiring sportswomen GS
Sport is fun (have a sport session) RBGS
Try it out (try a new Olympic/Paralympic sport) RBGS
Energy boost (cereal bars) RBGS
Virtual games (eg wii session)RBGS

nikkicrane

Beginner (10+ posts)
Culture
Passing the baton (make scrapbook/website etc of what done) RBGS
Ola Brasil (get taste of Brazilian culture-next host!) RBGS
Ancient Art (design or make Greek pot) RBGS
Grandstand (reporting/journalist) BGS
Dance the night away (Maori Poi Dance) RBGS
Whats On (find out whats on locally) RBGS
Mascot (design your own) RBGS
Writing on the Wall (graffiti type thing) GS
Street theatre RBGS

nikkicrane

Beginner (10+ posts)
Values
Calm reflection (yoga/meditation) RBGS
What's your motto? (make up motto for unit) BGS
Promise torch RB
Under pressure GS
Truce (think about peace) RBGS
Against the odds (think about things people overcome to get where have and set difficult challenges) RBGS
Gold medal (make each other medals with positive things on the back) RBGS
Being Green (get expert in or grow veggies or make bird boxes etc) RBGS
Rules and more rules! (why have rules, try games without rules!) RBGS
Going going gone! Have auction with beads or pretend money of things that are important eg being healthy, good exam results etc RBGS

RainbowC

Brownie Leader
Fox - you're supposed to do 3 activities within each section (Sport/Values/Culture) to earn that badge.

when we all celebrate 125yrs of guiding and our current girls are all adults showing off their changing the world badges, diamond jubilee badges and OYM badges, any girls from units that didn't take part may start to feel that they were "left out"?
I think if they've had the misfortune to be in units that haven't participated in any big events at all, be it Thinking Days, Centenary, CtW, Jubilee or whatever - then yes, they probably will feel that they've missed out. Although I suspect that if they're in units that haven't joined in any of these activities at all then their experience of guiding might not be so great that they continue through to being adult leaders anyway... For me, I think the real difference is that the other 'big' things do have some connection with Guiding, either as specific guiding anniversaries, or in the case of the Jubilee, the link that HM the Queen has with the organisation. The Olympics, on the other hand, while certainly a big event for Britain, doesn't have that link - at least to me - so I don't see that girls will feel that they've 'missed out' if they haven't had a badge relating to it. I wouldn't expect to see a badge and resource if the football world cup, or Commonwealth Games, or any other major sporting event was held in Britain, and don't see that - other than scale - the Olympics is qualitatively different.

I absolutely agree that the badges they have now are likely to become important to them in the future as reminders of what they've done and been a part of. That's why I replaced my long-lost Brownie and Guide badges when I returned to Guiding as an adult. But I don't feel any deep regret about Badges I Never Got. Surely by the time they're adults they'll understand about different units making different choices?

I'm very sorry if this is coming across negatively; I'm not meaning any disrespect to you at all, S-N. But I just don't understand the importance being given to OYM - or indeed any of the optional resources that GGUK publishes from time to time. Enough units don't do/use/give out half the things that they're supposed to that I'm not going to get upset about anyone choosing not to do/use/give out optional things.

Last edited:

fenris

fenris
GuiderPlus

in girl-led guiding, can still be girl-led if leader produces the resource the girls are going to be doing and then leaving it to the girls to decide which of the badges/activities within the resource they wish to do...

for chances are the "badges" will become very important evidence of their time in guiding (just like the badges of the past)

although, I do agree with comment that girls have done "olympics" heavily at school!!!!! and at all our local schools they seem to have played mini-games and made up their own games, made olympic medals in varying shapes/sizes/colours/mediums and olympic torches...
I think that that argument would have been valid in the past, where there tended to be only UK-wide or occasional Regional activity packs around, and they only came out every 3-4 years - so they were a novelty, something different to break up the programme. Now, even in terms of the official UK-wide ones, there are new ones virtually every year, and sometimes more than one. Yes, it can be good to do some of these, but I think we also have to look at getting a balance - between doing themed activity packs which, with the best will in the world, will focus on certain types of activities - and teaching some of the skills which I feel it's important to fit into the programme - the first aid, the homeskills, the service projects and activities, and all the core things we are about. And sometimes, the number of project packs and challenges which are published mean that it is up to us as leaders to help the girls choose which ones they do - and which ones they don't - so that they come to accept that sometimes you can't do it all, and sometimes you have to make choices - I think that can be just as valuable a lesson.

I recently had a lot of hassle (daily texts/emails from Commissioners and the like) becasue neither of my units were at the County Jubilee Beacon event (even though it was held less than 2 miles from where my units are based) - I was out of the country, and none of my assistants were available on the night in question - so yes, the girls in my unit missed out on the event and the badge. I would be happy to explain to any of them why they didn't get.

growlywench

Veteran (100+ posts)
I do see what you're saying, SN, but I'm rather more with RainbowC and Fenris on this one - we didn't do OYM with our Guides, but they did get the metal Jubilee badge (we asked if they wanted metal or sew on, they chose metal), and we have done our County Jubliee Challenge with them, and are also doing our county 5 Ring Challenge (our Olympic challenge). Badges for the Jubilee Challenge were 50p each, with 40 to buy, that takes up one girl's subs for the term (£20). The County 5 Rings are £1 each, so (£40, or 2 more lots of subs). We pay rent, (£100 a term, or 5 lots of subs (and sometimes more if the weather's really cold and we bung Chapel a bit extra towards the heating bill). We have yet to look at Together We Can, but that's pencilled in for Sept. To have done OYM would have been 7.5 lots of subs (ish). So we ruled it out partly on cost and partly on preferring the activities in the County challenge (more suited to our girls), and partly purely for time! We've also fitted in GFI's, outdoor activities and other 'normal' programme things into the term (must stock up on challenge badges!!). One of our units decided not to offer the County Jubilee Event to their girls, as their main leader couldn't make it (work commitments) and the other leaders are also with other units. Yes, I think it's a shame the girls missed out, as it was a good day, but they missed out no more than those from other units who chose not to come to stuff for whatever reason.

Now, if you've followed all that, you probably deserve an Olympic medal, rather than a badge, butI think the point I was trying to make is that in Guiding, as in life, it isn't always possible to do everything for a variety of reasons (good, bad or indifferent), and it would be fair to say that Rainbows have less programme options than the older sections (just IMHO :) ), and less option to chose what they do, and if I was still a Rainbow leader, I would probably have started with the national things and worked back to the more ordinary programme things like Roundabouts, with the Rainbow 25th being at the top of the list - can't not do that if you're a Rainbow this year! - followed by Jubilee, and then if time Olympics, just on the logic of the Rainbow anniversary is special to Rainbows, which the girls will definitely understand, the Jubilee is a once in a lifetime thing, and while it's nice to do Olympics cos it's in this country, the Olympics will be back in 4 years, and the bit about being held in England isn't as likely to be as significant to a Rainbow aged girl as say, an SS member, IYSWIM. (Pls remember I'm based in the North, may think differently if I was London based!).

Just trying to share that different units have differing priorities, but as long as the core programme - Promise/Laws etc - are adhered to, if a unit it happy and safe, it doesn't matter if they've got all the badges or very few :)

Sent from my BlackBerry 9300 using Tapatalk

Squirrel-Nutkin

The Wicked Witch of the West (15,000+ posts)
Aim Hi, Together we can, right now... must admit personally I just think of them as additional badges/resources which units can decide to use/do or not do as they see fit

sounds like many are thinking of OYM badges/resource in a similar light...

Fox

Brownie-induced madness
We are working our way slowly through Right Now as we really like the resource but we won't come back to Rainbows 25th or OYM again so they are different in that sense.

We decided at our planning meeting not to do OYM but we are doing some light non-challenge activities for Rainbows 25th, including some Wacky 25 activities based on some Wacky 100 activities we did for Adventure 100, for our Brownies.