1. Welcome Guest to the new look forum. For more information refer to this thread
    Dismiss Notice

Online Guide Manager

Discussion in 'Question & Answers' started by Jenbob76, May 8, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jenbob76

Jenbob76 Veteran (100+ posts)

I'm sure I remember seeing this discussed beforebut can't find it.... does anyone know what the official stance on the online guide manager is? I'm thinking we would just use it to keep track of badges, progress etc & not put any personal details in.

2. Loopy

Loopy Veteran (100+ posts)

The issue is with data protection, so if you don't put any of the girls' personal details in then I don't see a problem. I guess you could use an anonymous code for each girl so that you know who's who.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk

3. growlywench

growlywench Veteran (100+ posts)

Using it is a breach of the membership policies of GG and the official stance is that it's not acceptable to use it. Tbh, a spreadsheet works just as well.

fenris likes this.
  4. Jenbob76

Jenbob76 Veteran (100+ posts)

Thanks guys, just wanted confirmation before I said no to my AG. GW, I assume that's stated somewhere in the manual? Will go & have a look in a bit.

5. growlywench

growlywench Veteran (100+ posts)

6. Cazbly

Cazbly Darth Vader (12,500+ posts)

I did also ask GG for official confirmation of their stance last time this question arose and received a very definite no.

7. emmaluvseeyore

emmaluvseeyore Brownie Leader and Ranger Assistant

I tried using it as a trial, with made up girls names a while back. It was actually way easier to just do everything on a spreadsheet, so I never started using it properly.

8. KatieW

KatieW Guide Guider, Nottingham Staff Member Moderator GuiderPlus

I'm going to close this thread, but also make it sticky so it's easier to find for the future.

9. KatieW

KatieW Guide Guider, Nottingham Staff Member Moderator GuiderPlus

The OP has sent me a PM as she's had the following reply about OGM from HQ.

You are correct that you cannot enter or keep personal information on any software other than those provided by Girlguiding. We are aware of the On-line Guide Manager and have met with the suppliers. However that meeting raised serious security concerns and it was agreed that as they were unable to provide us with information regarding the security of the product and Data Protect Compliance that this stance would not change.

We are currently planning to upgrade Go! within the next 2 years and within the list of suggests from members is the request that some of the features of the In-Line Guide Manager be used. This would include changes to process and policy because at the moment it is the girls responsibility to keep track of achievement and not the Leaders.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.