1. Welcome Guest to the new look forum. For more information refer to this thread
    Dismiss Notice

Question? Pack Holiday scheme - Leader Roles

Discussion in 'Residentials' started by woodpecker!, Apr 7, 2013.

1. woodpecker!

woodpecker! Beginner (10+ posts)

Hi all, I have just started my pack holiday Licence and the first hurdle i have hit is roles.

I have done a number of pack holidays in the past but the only role clearly defined were QM and first aider.

After reading "going away with guiding" there seem to be the following role.

My question is have I missed any and does anybody have a list of responsibilities for each role?

Caterer
    First Aider
    Event Coordinator
    Programme Coordinator

Thanks woodpecker (aka Emma)

2. Orly

Orly Veteran (100+ posts)

I think it depends a bit on how many leaders you have available and what their capabilities are.

Event co-ordinator - does that mean leader in charge ?!

For first aider:
    Prepare/distribute & collect health forms
    Be in charge of checking first aid box & make sure it's full and everything is in date
    Administer any regular medications that are needed (such as antihistimes etc)
    Administer any treatment which is needed (such as cold compresses, plasters)
    Administer any medication which may be needed (such as paracetamol for unexpected headaches)
    Keep a record of all treatments and medications needed
    Make sure that the kitchen has a first aid kit - poss in conjunction with the QM
    Be available in the middle of the night if needed
    Set up and take down the first aid room

Health (could be done by another leader to First Aider)
    Be responsible for making sure the toilets are stocked with soap and loo paper
    Have access to sanitary towels, just in case
    Make sure toilets are maintained daily
    Make sure girls wash their hands before mealtimes/food activities

3. woodpecker!

Thank for the starting point :D

4. Rabbit 74

Rabbit 74 Regular (50+ posts)

List of Brownie Holiday Roles and Responsibilities

Hi! Woodpecker,
    If you can PM me your e-mail address please I will send you copies of the lists we use.
    Rabbit74:)

5. Quantumlottie

Quantumlottie Veteran (100+ posts)

we once had a programme co-ordinator and an off-site activity co-ordinator, it depends what you are doing and how many leaders you have.

6. fenris

fenris fenris GuiderPlus

It depends on the way the event is set up and how many staff you have as to how the work is shared. The three main roles are fairly standard:

GiC - in charge of the planning and organising of the event, makes the bookings, prepares and distributes the information to participants, has overall responsibility for health safety and wellbeing throughout the event, etc.

Caterer - plans and cooks the meals, with input and help from the girls, maintains food hygiene and kitchen safety, organises the ordering and storage of food.

First Aider - responsible for the health of the participants, the issue of regular medicines, the treatment of minor illness or injury.

You may also have other adult helpers, in which case they might take on the organising of some or all of the activities - or this might be done by the Guider in Charge. If you have Young Leaders or Brownie Helpers on the team then they may be given responsibility for running some activities or doing some of the catering - depending on their age and experience.

7. Quack

Quack Veteran (100+ posts) Staff Member Moderator GuiderPlus

There is another way of looking at it, you could write down all the tasks and responsibilities for the event and split them between the adults that are there. Using their skills and strengths to guide you. Some aspects will be obvious such as shopping, cooking to the QM but some things could easily be done by any member of the team so it's just a case of eeny meeny...

For instance, the person running the activity does not have to be the person that has bought and prepared the stuff, likewise the QM does not have to cook each meal and supervise the washing up.

8. woodpecker!

Well thank Ladies, I will post my view on roles when I have done the ;)

9. emmaluvseeyore

emmaluvseeyore Brownie Leader and Ranger Assistant

We normally have 4 adults on pack holiday so we do have to split roles. We have 1 person as QM, one as first aider and the other 2 don't have a particular role. One of the 4 of us will be listed as the license holder and technically in charge, but we all work together to deliver the program.

10. Lauren Boow

Lauren Boow (Newbie)

Whats the role on the leader in charge

11. Tawnyowl51

Tawnyowl51 Veteran (100+ posts)

as stated above:

GiC - in charge of the planning and organising of the event, makes the bookings, prepares and distributes the information to participants, has overall responsibility for health safety and wellbeing throughout the event, etc.