• Welcome Guest to the new look forum. For more information refer to this thread

Idea! Patrol Leader support ideas

AngliaGuider

Regular (50+ posts)
Four of our PLs went to a PL session that was organised by our County team and peer educator. They agreed that they'd all had a great time, and they have learned lots about what makes a good leader, but their feedback is that they now want some practical support in being a good leader - dealing with he times when their patrols are not running smoothly. Examples of situations they've come up with are when the louder ones dominate but the PL wants to encourage the quieter Guides to have their say; when they want to encourage everyone in the patrol to take a turn when running multi-step activities, and when they are trying to find a way that means that the minority in a patrol can do an activity even when the majority will never vote for it.

We've talked briefly and they have come up with the usual ideas between them, but I'd like to have a more organised brainstorming session with them, and suggest some other ideas that they might not think of for themselves. So far, we have the 'talking spoon', and everyone doing something before the first person can take another turn, and I've suggested that they bring the outvoted ideas to PLC as well as the chosen ones, because we don't always have to work in patrols, and there may be other girls from across the wider unit who want to do those activities.

My questions is - how do you support your PLs? What other strategies do your PLs use, and I could add to their list of options? Thank you for your help!

fenris

fenris
GuiderPlus
I try to have occasional Patrol Leader Trainings - we make use of the odd single-holiday days like in-service so it's the usual day and times, but not having the rest of the unit miss their regular meeting. I also produced a 'Patrol Leader Handbook', there is a copy of it in each Patrol box so that it can be inherited by new Patrol Leaders.

AngliaGuider

Regular (50+ posts)
I try to have occasional Patrol Leader Trainings - we make use of the odd single-holiday days like in-service so it's the usual day and times, but not having the rest of the unit miss their regular meeting. I also produced a 'Patrol Leader Handbook', there is a copy of it in each Patrol box so that it can be inherited by new Patrol Leaders.
Could I ask - what do you include in your PL handbook? Would you be willing to share it? I'd love to put together some resources but I'm not sure if there is anything like a discontinued 'PL Hints and Tips' pack I could crib from.

fenris

fenris
GuiderPlus
Could I ask - what do you include in your PL handbook? Would you be willing to share it? I'd love to put together some resources but I'm not sure if there is anything like a discontinued 'PL Hints and Tips' pack I could crib from.
I have put a copy of it in the files.