• Welcome Guest to the new look forum. For more information refer to this thread

Please can someone explain the new recruitment process in words of one syllable?

Fox

Brownie-induced madness
Because we had an email round and I am someone who does a lot of computer stuff for my work and reads lots of complicated things including some that are, erm, not very well written and I haven't got a clue. (OK, I am on full time Fox Cub leave at the moment so maybe a bit of baby brain going on!)

Are they introducing an extra stage in Join Us? Or only in the recruitment process? Has the referee stage changed so that you have to get that completed before doing the DBS or is it just an admin thing where they ask for the referees first but they should go ahead with the DBS it's just you don't progress someone on Join Us until the referees come back?

Or what?

RMT

Guide Leader
GuiderPlus
Small Changes

Recruitment
Every new adult volunteer needs 2 references (no matter if needing DBS or not)

Join Us
the 2 references detail will by in join us instead of DBS site. (i.e DC's will deal with now)

Hope taht helps.

Fox

Brownie-induced madness
Kind of!

In our District we have

Nominal DC who deals with complaints.
Volunteer coordinator (which is me), first port of call
DBS person (someone else).

I'm assuming that the DBS person would do the referees since she does that now. Obviously you can't all answer this for our District, but is it now assumed that whoever signs up the volunteer will be processing the references?

Our District/Division does things differently (and it's rather annoying) meaning that DBS checks aren't done for some weeks or even months after someone starts volunteering. Isn't this going to make the whole process even longer?

RMT

Guide Leader
GuiderPlus
The volunteer fills in Join Us which notifies DC, someone then discusses and moved them in Join us (Sounds like yourself) before the volunteer moves into the awaiting recruitment checks list the references need to be entered.

This person will need access to Join Us and I believe would usually be the DC's role to add these
The ID Verifier role will not give them access to Join Us so depending on other roles they hold it may be either yourself or DC that need to add them,

Have you had the system updates? if not I would get in touch with county go coordinator or ID coordinator for a copy of them they are very useful.

Quack

Veteran (100+ posts)
Staff member
GuiderPlus
but is it now assumed that whoever signs up the volunteer will be processing the references?
Yes, in that at the 'meeting arranged' step in Join us, details of the referees will be taken and entered in to the system and then form part of the online recruitment process. I don't think the DC or whoever has to actually issue the application for referees, that will still be done centrally but they will need to enter the details.

Fox

Brownie-induced madness
Oh help, still no clearer.

In our District the District email person gets the email notifications but does nothing else (she doesn't send them to me, she swears she never gets them). I just check manually every few days to see who's new on Join Us.

I contact them all and ask if they are still interested and where they'd like to volunteer. I then currently pass their contact details on to a) the unit in question and b) the DBS verifier. Our DBS verifier also has Join Us access but I'm not sure if she can progress people or just view. I move them through from Contacted to Meeting Arranged and then at the moment to Recruitment Checks.

So would I be passing them on to the unit and also asking for their referee details and entering those on Join Us? Or would that be the verifier?

Our DC has nothing to do with Join Us, she just deals with complaints and residential notifications (we were told these are the only things that the DC MUST do and she can delegate everything else).

RMT

Guide Leader
GuiderPlus
Fox give me a few moments I and will post the update

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

RMT

Guide Leader
GuiderPlus
As a reminder of what the new process will be, all new volunteers (aged 18+) regardless of the volunteer role to be held will be required to provide details of two referees. Referee details will need to be entered on Join Us by the Commissioner at the ‘Meeting Arranged’ stage. For roles that are defined as ‘regulated activity’ requiring a DBS check, this will be carried out on the Disclosure system with a local ID Verifier as normal (without the referee input). Once satisfactory results have been received for the DBS check and both references, the new volunteer’s membership will be granted. Remember this process is for new volunteers (aged 18+) only.

Existing members already holding a membership record on Go! will not be required to provide referees but must complete a DBS check when they move from a ‘non-regulated activity’ role, e.g. Unit Occasional Helper, into a ‘regulated activity’ role, e.g. Unit Helper.
So from reading your post to me it sounds like you are dealing with Join Us on behalf the DC, (on a side note may be worth chatting with DC to see what emails she does get on behalf of District, may be that its worth having yourself as main contact so you get Join Us emails)

So when you contact person now you need to collect 2 referees no matter what role they are going to have, you enter these into Join Us.

Then get the ID Verifier to contact them (if needed) for DBS Checks, DBS will not require referee details.

This then means you will be able to see the progress of the Reference Checks, chase any or change any.

Hopefully this will make the recruitement process run smoother.

Hilary

Guide Guider and District Commissioner
GuiderPlus
It also means that Young Leaders turning 18 will no longer need to supply referees as part of the DBS process. I checked that with membership support. However, the new system hasn't come in yet.

Wizard

Veteran (100+ posts)
GuiderPlus
I have a new girl move into the area, she was a brownie at her previous home, I have her name and membership number, does the parent really have to add her to join us from scratch or is there anyway I can input her membership number and find her that way?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

browniebeth

Brownie Leader
Staff member
GuiderPlus
You should be able to add her straight to your unit GO! like you would a Rainbow coming up to Brownies or Brownie going up to Guides, as you have the details that you need :)

She would only use Join Us if she didn't know which unit she wanted to move to, so she could see the options and make a choice :)

Wizard

Veteran (100+ posts)
GuiderPlus
I though I 'should' but I couldn't find where or see exactly 'how'. Please can you tell me in simple steps :) thanks.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

RMT

Guide Leader
GuiderPlus
You use go like we always have for existing members, same way you would add a rainbow onto your unit,

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

browniebeth

Brownie Leader
Staff member
GuiderPlus
Log onto GO
Click Role Management
Select the unit
At the bottom then you should see "Brownie, Waiting to Transfer- Brownie and Brownie Helper" (or Rainbow/Guide as appropriate)
Select "Brownie"

Then input the information you have and search for her :)

Hope this helps

Tawnyowl51

Veteran (100+ posts)
Log into Go and role management. At the bottom where it says add brownies ( something like that) click, and input her name and membership number, it should bring her details up.make her active in your unit, and inactive in her previous one.

Mum should not need to go anywhere near Join us again