1. Welcome Guest to the new look forum. For more information refer to this thread
    Dismiss Notice

Public Liability Insurance

Discussion in 'Hall Management' started by LizzieWizzie, Oct 30, 2013.

1. LizzieWizzie

LizzieWizzie Veteran (100+ posts)

Our unit meets in a hut that is solely used by Guiding and Scouting. The land on which the building is built is leased by the Scout Association. A Management Committee then oversees the hut, maintaining it etc. That Committee is a mixture of leaders and parents.

We have always had a separate Public Liability Insurance but we have now received conflicting opinions as to whether we need it. Our current broker says yes and Unity Insurance say we don't as we would be covered by Scout and Guide insurance.

What do you think? Does anyone have experience of this? I'm not convinced that we would be covered as we aren't acting as leaders necessarily on the committee so are we covered if someone was hurt due to something relating to the building.

Any help would be appreciated!

2. Squirrel-Nutkin

Squirrel-Nutkin The Wicked Witch of the West (15,000+ posts)

to be certain, I think this is a query for HQ

3. Quack

Quack Veteran (100+ posts) Staff Member Moderator GuiderPlus

Yes, I would certainly ask CHQ/Scout HQ. We have a similar scenario and I don't think we have a separate policy, there may be an aspect within our buildings insurance. The fact that may be an issue is who else uses the building ? If it is purely unit meetings and events probably not but if it is used by other groups, parties etc during the day which is not scouting or guiding related then that may be a cause for additional cover.

4. chopperchick

chopperchick Veteran (100+ posts) Staff Member Moderator GuiderPlus

Again, one for CHQ.
    I was in a similar situation, guiding owned building etc - and we only had GG's public liability, but our own buildings and contents insurance.

However, the only thing I can see might be confusing the issue is whether the GG PL, plus separately the Scouts' PL, doesn't (in the broker's eyes at least) cover adequately if a joint group which manages the hut? I.e. If your hut is managed by a group called "Anytown scout & guide hut managers", that may be seen as a third entity which is neither solely GG nor SA. Thus, in the event of PL needing to pay out, whose policy is called upon, yours or Scouts - when it was a "joint" problem which caused the insurance event?

But, this is a situation many others must be in, in joint venues, so check with CHQ (rather than Unity themselves).

5. bess342

bess342 Veteran (100+ posts) GuiderPlus

As far as I understand it depends whether it is solely used for Guiding/Scouting activities or for other groups/activities as soon as members of the public use it or have access you really need separate insurance, apart for building and contents ie if you had a coffee morning on premises then members of public using it therefore require 3rd party insurance. However best to ask CHQ as preciously stated to ensure you are completely covered.

6. raaowdot

raaowdot Administrator Staff Member

I'd contact the insurance people who provide our cover to be sure. There are two though depending on whether it's public liability (Aon) or Building insurance (Unity)
    http://guidingmanual.guk.org.uk/supporting_info/insurance/insurance_service_contact_deta.aspx

Your probably covered by the last clause regardless of being Guiding or Scouts
    The Trustees of and/or members of the Committee responsible for the management of any
    property or premises belonging to or leased to Trustees for any unit

There's also a specific guiding site for insurance http://www.guidinginsurance.co.uk/

We're in a similar situation but without the Scouts complication. GG covers us for all guiding related activities but anyone hiring the hall such as a playgroup need to have their own. You can download the insurance letter to display in the hall too
    http://guidingmanual.guk.org.uk/PDF/Public Liability (January 2013).pdf

7. raaowdot

raaowdot Administrator Staff Member

8. chopperchick

chopperchick Veteran (100+ posts) Staff Member Moderator GuiderPlus

Disclaimer - insurance knowledge only comes from experience, as opposed to being a professional :)

But, the bit that interests you, and you need to check is on the link provided by raaowdot to the letter in the guiding manual (the last of his three links). Specifically the para about being engaged in "carrying out recognised Guiding activities", and then it goes on to mention the various legal entity and operating names, and groups of specific people including para (xiii) trustees / committee members responsible for property.

I'd interpret that as, for my situation, we didn't require additional public liability as we were all guiders, belonging to Girlguiding, and managing property owned (in this case) by a Girlguiding trust.

Your specific query needs to relate to the relationship between Scout Association, and how you have set up your Management Committee (as a formal joint relationship), and whether one party's Public Liability covers both (unlikely, but possible depending on the hall ownership / management situation) or whether a new, joint PL policy is required.

Does that makes sense?

9. LizzieWizzie

LizzieWizzie Veteran (100+ posts)

Thank you for all your replies. I will speak with CHQ. The premises are solely used for guiding and scouting but we have been known to have public come to a coffee morning, hold parties in the grounds to which members of the public come to etc. The committee is also made up of guiding and scouting personnel as well as parents.

I will report back on the answer when I get on.