1. Welcome Guest to the new look forum. For more information refer to this thread
    Dismiss Notice

Re-waterproofing tents

Discussion in 'Camping and Sleepovers' started by quietbrownowl, Jun 27, 2017.

1. quietbrownowl

quietbrownowl Veteran (100+ posts)

Can anyone give me any advice please about re-waterproofing lightweight tents? I've never done this before and our tents are all needing done this year as when we took them out in May 1 leaked. What I'm wondering is:
    1 what's the best product to use?
    2 does it need to be done outside or can I do it indoors (thinking our hall as it won't be used over the summer and can do more than one at a time)?

I'm an experienced xer but feel like such a rookie when it comes to this!

2. Epona

Epona Veteran (100+ posts)

Are they canvas or modern material?

Fabsil spray
    is easy to apply for modern fabric, and it may be worth doing a brush-on McNett seam sealant too if the tents are getting on a bit. Both are readily available from Screwfix, Go Outdoors and the like.

I do it outdoors for better ventilation...

Last edited: Jun 27, 2017
  3. Foxi

Foxi Guide Guider

I have only waterproofed canvas tents - used brush on and spray on. If you use the spray on stuff it most definately needs to be done out doors!

4. Tregi

Tregi Veteran (100+ posts)

Were they definitely leaking? Not stuff touching the outer or condensation? Fabsil works, but is smelly. You also need to allow time for it to dry, amd make sure what you get is suitable for the fabric

Sent from my SM-G850F using Tapatalk

5. quietbrownowl

quietbrownowl Veteran (100+ posts)

Thank you everyone. It's modern tents I'm needing to do. I'll need to pray for nice weather as I think there's 6 or more to do.

I took over the keys to the campstore last year from a retiring leader. I've not braved looking at the icelandics yet, I don't think they've been out since mice chewed holes in them about 15 years ago. I'm hoping I can salvage some of them too when I'm brave enough to look!

6. Epona

Epona Veteran (100+ posts)

Our Guiding stores are in old stables so rodents are always a worry. I keep tents inside mega-large 'Really Useful'(TM) boxes with a clip lock lid. The camping stoves are inside smaller ones, as are a lot of chewable odds and ends like cleaning materials. They stack well and unlike cheaper boxes don't crack over time.

7. fenris

fenris fenris GuiderPlus

If doing several tents, you can get large cans of fabsil liquid to paint on the outside with a large paintbrush - makes it quicker to cover large areas and you are not losing spray in the air, also means you can coat seams and ridges more thoroughly. As with spray, pitch the outers only on a dry day so you can get them all treated, fully dried, and put away in one go.

8. fenris

fenris fenris GuiderPlus

Even if they are past being repaired for use as tents, there may be enough canvas fit for fire shelters, or dining shelters . . .