1. Welcome Guest to the new look forum. For more information refer to this thread
    Dismiss Notice

Rules of the Girls in Need Forum

Discussion in 'Girls in Need' started by Dizzybint, Aug 10, 2011.

1. Dizzybint

Dizzybint Super Moderator Staff Member Moderator GuiderPlus

This Forum has been inspired by the generosity of the members that came to the aid of one Rainbow and helped her to attend a camp. It has come to my attention that Guiding is a sisterhood and as leaders we are very helpful in solving problems and helping girls in need.

The rules of this forum are that if you wish to obtain help for a member of your unit then you post here.

you must tell us a little bit about the girl without using any identifying details.

you must state what you require eg New Guide requires Guide Jacket and G file

The Girl must be in genuine need.

You must have attempted to obtain these items or money off at least two other sources.

Your unit funds must be unable to cover the item/event (we will trust you on this)

For senior section members attending an international. They must show they have fundraised.

Things that can be requested are
    subs
    Uniform
    Camp wear and equipment
    Guiding items
    Trips and Events
    Camps
    Sleepovers
    Holidays

This must be for an Individual (or more than one in your unit) not the whole group.

Please do not betray the trust of our members.
    And if offering support please ensure you can genuinely provide this.

If anyone asks for uniform for a girl, sometimes you may have parents with old uniform at home or supplies of old uniform ourselves. This would be a great way of helping those in need. :D

2. Cazbly

Cazbly Darth Vader (12,500+ posts)

Great idea.

3. nikifm

nikifm Aka - Roly Mole and LaLa [=

I think this is a lovely idea and hope that it means more girls will be able to join and stay in Guiding x

4. falkland1

falkland1 NellieB GuiderPlus

How about a central fund with all forum members contributing 50p along with forum subs. There are a lot of us so if we each put in a little it would make a huge difference...how many paid up members are there now?

5. jaquic81

jaquic81 Ayrshire North - Guide Guider GuiderPlus

what a good idea :)

6. squirrrel

squirrrel Veteran (100+ posts)

would be great idea, happy to contribute to this

7. jim

jim Moderator GuiderPlus

Im quite willing to go with that

8. kemuri

kemuri Guide Guider

This is a great idea. Good on Guiding :)

9. Lynz

Lynz Veteran (100+ posts)

This sounds good but would make things a lot more complicated in terms of administering the funds though. For example, who would decide which requests for money were granted, and how much they would receive? It could potentially become a big responsibility, and by centralising the funds members wouldn't have a direct say in who or what they support. Also, donations aren't always in the form of money; sometimes people are better placed to donate old uniform, fundraising items, equipment, etc. I think a central fund is a nice idea, but perhaps people responding to requests as individuals might be more practical to run!

10. fenris

fenris fenris GuiderPlus

Great idea - I get occasional donations of uniform (there is no demand for second-hand items in my area) and forward them to deserving causes where I hear about them, but it will be helpful to have a central 'matchmaking' area to match those who can donate with those who require.

11. sliceofrice

sliceofrice Veteran (100+ posts)

You wrote down my fears in a much more succint way than I ever could! :)

12. falkland1

falkland1 NellieB GuiderPlus

I can understand that too....what I was thinking was more that it would spread the load of giving more widely...not just those amongst us whose heartstrings tug at the thought of kids struggling....there would also be the ongoing possibility of individual donations of second hand uniform etc via the forum...I don't see why that should change. Perhaps there could be a small committee made up of long term forum members to oversee the donation process....though I think that if there is enough in the kitty and there is a recognised need then the money should be given. My thoughts would more concern the legitimising of requests. I think they should be corroborated by at least two guiders...with member nos given..I say this only because what ever we do should be transparent and accountable. If we have over 6000 members them we would be talking potentially of £3000 per year if my 50p idea was adopted....a definite force for good.

13. Snowy Pink Owl

Snowy Pink Owl The Doctor (5000+ posts) GuiderPlus

This sounds like a great idea, will keep my eyes peeled in case there are any girls I can help :)

14. raaowdot

raaowdot Administrator Staff Member

I looked at the idea of a fund when the original thread was posted by Woodyowl but the legals and administration would be a nightmare. You'd basically be setting up a Charity Trust Fund with all the complications that come with it and though that is possible (wikipedia has one) I think it's beyond the scope of the forum at the moment. Definitely beyond the capability of Dizzy and Myself. I would be reluctant to allow anyone to make a trust fund in the name of the forum or generally administrate from the forum too.

For now I think Dizzy's original post/idea needs to be the only way for now with a careful eye on how it gets on.

It's great to think we can make a different and the power of the forum group can make a huge difference.

15. Snowy Pink Owl

Snowy Pink Owl The Doctor (5000+ posts) GuiderPlus

I can imagine sorting out a fund like would be hard work, I think people posting as and when sounds like a good idea to start with in case anything goes wrong

16. Smartie

Smartie Mod and wearer of many hats!! Staff Member Moderator GuiderPlus

I wouldn't want to be part of a fund either. That might sound harsh, but different people have different ideas of what they want to donate to, and I wouldn't like to be in a fund where someone had to make a decision on where the money would go, whereas a system like this us much better as everyone can give when they agree with the cause and when they are able!

17. jennthedeadfunkyranger

jennthedeadfunkyranger Guide Guider GuiderPlus

Plus if it's compulsory to donate money, even a small amount, that may put off people from joining the forum, especially as I'm sure there are lots of Guiders on here who are as much in need of uniform etc themselves as the girls are.

18. sliceofrice

sliceofrice Veteran (100+ posts)

So with that sorted does anyone else feel like we need a ribbon cutting ceremony now?? :p xxx

19. CampBeanz

CampBeanz Veteran (100+ posts) GuiderPlus

What a brilliant idea!

20. RJCS

RJCS Veteran (100+ posts)

There is a fund for units in need, disability and centenary fund from CHQ and a few more i think. Would it be along the same lines?