• Welcome Guest to the new look forum. For more information refer to this thread

Question? Selective mute- games to suit

tori.kiff1

Veteran (100+ posts)
Hi, I need some help.

We've got a selective mute join our group. My go to game while setting up is usually Chinese whispers because it's quite. Obviously I need a new game because she can't/won't join in.

I'm also struggling at finding games for the first day back, get to know you/ice breaker games, they all encourage chatting to one another!

Help!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

sandra 100

Veteran (100+ posts)
ive just found one on girlguiding web site it says for brownies but rainbows will be able to do it have all girls sat in a circle on chairs except for 1 person guider shouts out things like if you have a dog and any of the girls who have a dog have to swap chairs with each other while the girl standing tries to get a seat then guider shouts something else and game continues

Tawnyowl51

Veteran (100+ posts)
Leg - All girls sit in a circle, legs in front of them. Choose a number between 1 and 10. ( for this example I will use 5)
Girls take turns to lift their leg slightly then the other leg saying 1, 2, as she does.

First girl is 1,2
Next girl says 3,4 as she lifts legs,

next girl says 5, then bends up leg, that leg is OUT and the counting goes back to 1 so her next leg is 1.

Next girl is 2,3
next girl is 4,5 and on 5 she bends up that leg and is out.
Your girl who is selective mute need not actually say the numbers as the other girls will tend to join in the counting anyway.
Last leg still in is thewinner

Batty Owl

Veteran (100+ posts)
Would something like exploding Cinderella work for the quiet game? You cant beat an indoor snowball fight (rolled socks or scrunched up newspaper) as an ice breaker. Always gets everyone laughing together

tori.kiff1

Veteran (100+ posts)
Would something like exploding Cinderella work for the quiet game? You cant beat an indoor snowball fight (rolled socks or scrunched up newspaper) as an ice breaker. Always gets everyone laughing together
Exploding Cinderella? I'll have to look into that! Never heard of it!

Batty Owl

Veteran (100+ posts)
Exploding Cinderella? I'll have to look into that! Never heard of it!

Exploding Cinderella. Everyone removes one shoe. Place the shoes in a line and sit the girls n a semicircle facing the shoes. One girl is chosen to be "The Prince" They leave the room or turn their back while one shoe is silently chosen to be the exploding shoe. The Prince them begins to give each girl their missing shoe. When the exploding shoe is touched everyone starts to count down 10, 9, 8, 7, 6, 5, 4, 3, 2, 1, BANG If the Prince has all the shoes back before the bang they have won. Congratulate them and choose a new Prince!

JJJJ1980

Brownie Leader x 3
At brownies we quite often start with monkey football, the girls just join in as they arrive. Ours also like fe,fi,fo,fum but that is not especially quiet and needs a bit of supervision.

Human bingo can work if you do words and pictures, the girls just show each other the paper and they write their name in a square.

Could rainbows manage Giants house? In small groups they make themselves into the shape such as table, chair, clock etc.

Any place swapping game would work as sandra says. We play it around a parachute and the girls go underneath to swap places.

tori.kiff1

Veteran (100+ posts)
At brownies we quite often start with monkey football, the girls just join in as they arrive. Ours also like fe,fi,fo,fum but that is not especially quiet and needs a bit of supervision.

Human bingo can work if you do words and pictures, the girls just show each other the paper and they write their name in a square.

Could rainbows manage Giants house? In small groups they make themselves into the shape such as table, chair, clock etc.

Any place swapping game would work as sandra says. We play it around a parachute and the girls go underneath to swap places.
We've done bingo the last couple of years and they don't get it!

Giants house sounds fab. But we have a reasonably little group. And they struggle with it. we've tried it once or twice.

Kochanski

Veteran (100+ posts)
We play human nought and crosses - set out 3 rows of 3 chairs and split girls into 2 lines. They take turns to choose a seat holding their arms up in a circle or crossed over their chest.

Lots of chasing games don't require any of your Brownies to speak so she won't be any different.

Or anything in which they can respond by jumping up, possibly holding a card with the answer e.g. the history of Guiding game.

Kochanski