• Welcome Guest to the new look forum. For more information refer to this thread

Skirts and dresses - what happened?

ker-stee

SGP Enthusiast
GuiderPlus
As a ranger myself, I honestly would wear either garment and am personally gutted that they didn't come up with them when I was a guide, I actually really like the skirt and if I could, I would wear it to Rangers
As theres no official bottoms for senior section, there is nothing really stopping you from buying the skirt and wearing it to Rangers...

partygirl

Veteran (100+ posts)
With regards to being 'practical', the camp uniform years ago wasa dress, and the girls still climbed trees and did other adventurous activities... Perhaps it's not the type of outfit that has become impractical, but possibly our options and feelings about what is practical has changed...
Lol, there speaks someone who never had to wear one me thinks :-D

partygirl

Veteran (100+ posts)
You're correct, however you see on the Guiding Facebook groups quite regularly that people are saying how much they loved the camp dresses !
Ahh, nostalgia. Fenris hits the nail on the head above.

A few years ago I decided to camp in a ridge tent again. The smell of it coming out of the bag was fantastic and brought back so many memories of camping as a Guide. The long days of summer, with nothing but good weather. When we were smacking loads of daddy long legs while we tried to get into bed, we thought better of it!

kirstyr

Veteran (100+ posts)
our guides hate the skirt. they would wear a skirt or skort if the right colour/style/material. They aren't that keen on the blue/red tshirt combo either.. Hard to please!

ker-stee

SGP Enthusiast
GuiderPlus
In the latest magazine there seems to be encouragement to buy the skirt/dress...its not the leaders that need convincing though!
It should be the time Guiding are pushing items like this with Christmas coming up! The magazine is all well and good.... But it's only to leaders!

Fox

Brownie-induced madness
I never had a camp dress as a Guide but I found one on Ebay and now wear it to camp! If it's warm-ish (I'm in the NW so it's never THAT warm!) it's great with wellies and long socks - I wouldn't wear it climbing but for pottering around camp, it avoids the issue of trousers rubbing on your calves inside your wellies.

partygirl

Veteran (100+ posts)
It should be the time Guiding are pushing items like this with Christmas coming up! The magazine is all well and good.... But it's only to leaders!
I was under the impression that pushing merchandise was part of the parents email that went out. I'm not a current parent, so haven't seen it, so can't say for sure.

helenfelen

Veteran (100+ posts)
my eldest daughter who was a guide (now a yl) when the uniform came out had a skirt and loved it, my younger daughter is now a guide and likes the skirt but hasn't worn it yet.

OrangeOwl

Veteran (100+ posts)
Camp dresses were practical because they were teamed with big pants. You can't climb a climbing wall in a dress with tiny primark knickers on and maintain your dignity.
As someone who had big pants for PE and guides (though was too young for the camp dresses) I remember being mortified by the giant knickers but looking back I am glad we had them!

fenris

fenris
GuiderPlus
Camp dresses were practical because they were teamed with big pants. You can't climb a climbing wall in a dress with tiny primark knickers on and maintain your dignity.
As someone who had big pants for PE and guides (though was too young for the camp dresses) I remember being mortified by the giant knickers but looking back I am glad we had them!
I would disagree only in terms of weather. Being far enough north that temperatures in the seventies were considered 'heatwave', it was rarely warm enough to be wearing a flimsy cotton frock outdoors. Trousers were far more practical.

Burghilly

Veteran (100+ posts)
Talking of maintaining your dignity - a lot of my Guides will wear black legging with their uniform top. This tends to look ok if they're wearing them with just the polo shirt in the summer, but in the winter a big thick uniform top (our hut is cold!) and a pair of leggings has the effect of looking like they've forgotten their skirt! Perhaps this is where the idea for the Guide skirt came from - to cover up a bit in the winter so girls don't look like they're just wearing tights !:)

Quack

Veteran (100+ posts)
Staff member
GuiderPlus
I don't think it is just in Winter that dignity in such cases is compromised...some cheaper versions or when well worn, tend not to leave a lot to the imagination...I'm grateful that it is a girls only organisation..

Sent from my SGP712 using Tapatalk

All of our older guides prefer the old striped polo top, though all the guides have the top and many have the jacket. Most wear jeans, jeggings or leggings with their uniform.